British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Best relocation areas in the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/best-relocation-areas-uk-919206/)

GeniB Nov 30th 2018 9:05 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12601229)
Nope, not kidding. Most of my family is from the Lake District/Lancashire/Yorkshire, and I don't think there has been a single time in the past 40 years when I haven't had the piss taken out of my accent when back 'ooop North' (we moved South when I was a toddler, so I have a very southern accent). 'Ill mannered' it may be, but plenty of Northeners are capable of bad manners too.

Oh lucky you. We have a Time Share in the Lakes ( 40 yrs) Go every year for two weeks. I would live there in a heartbeat if only the weather wasn't so unpredictable. Got used to lazy sunny days in Portugal. :thumbup: I don't have a discernible Northern accent anymore ( never was strong) never picked up on it. In fact I come across far more southerners there now. It always was a favourite playground from the days of Beatrice Potter who was also from the South . You don't make the mistake of pointing out that your family come from there do you.? If you don't have Viking blood and go back at least 400 yrs you can forget it. :lol:

UkWinds5353 Nov 30th 2018 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12601799)
If I may jump in, I have experienced both Watford and Reading, and would say that both are tremendously unexciting. The only reason to be in either would be because one is already there, neither have any kind of 'pull' to make one want to to move there. The problem is London, both aforementioned towns are within easy striking distance, but at what price? Better to kick out further, IMO, Oxford is great (but pricey), Bristol and thereabouts would be better. Exeter is also a good place. The south coast is on the whole overpriced to my mind. I love Scotland, never lived there however, so can't shed any day to day information.

Thank you for that. My friends certainly are benefiting from the well informed people on this site. In all honesty they probably need to rein in some of their expectations or maybe shift their original target areas. If they want the interesting town/village but prefer it within driving distance to music entertainment it's not apparent that they can ignore some of the biggest cities. Maybe their solution should be to live 45 minutes of London. That for sure would give them the entertainment factor without question. Quality schools options must be in abundance in that area. But the barrier in considering living near London is gonna be their budget because 700K will probably at best buy a very small property. They are going to need a serious reality check on their expectations or reconsider moving to Scotland. The best cities in the UK for great entertainment are Glasgow, London, Belfast, Manchester, Liverpool, and Brighton.
Am I leaving any place off the list for great nighttime entertainment?

BuckinghamshireBoy Nov 30th 2018 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12602372)
...Am I leaving any place off the list for great nighttime entertainment?

Very likely, but I've been gone far too long to offer any up to date advice, the others are better 'in the know'.

But there's a lot more to music and nightlife than London. At least there was 35 years back, I doubt that it's dried up. ;)

UkWinds5353 Dec 1st 2018 12:23 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12601808)
Frankly, they're both very unattractive run down towns with little in the way of redeeming features. Not somewhere I'd choose if relocating from abroad and had the whole of the UK to choose from.

Pretty much every town will have live music within 30 miles (remember this is the UK, distances are much smaller than they'll be used to!), but it doesn't sound like they want to live in a town at all from what you've said. Why don't they look at a village near somewhere with an exciting music scene? They could be within that distance of London for example, which would get them all the nightlife and music they'll ever want, but live somewhere smaller where they'll get the excellent schools and community feel they seem to be after.

I agree with the above suggestions of Bristol, Oxford and Brighton FWIW, all MUCH nicer towns than Watford and Reading.

LOL, I just responded to a post and funny enough my thoughts amounted to the same as your exact suggestion. I think my friends must come to terms with the options that are available especially considering their budget which btw they had to increase in order to come close to several of their goals. Personally I think living within 45 minutes of London could be a great solution and there must be small townships/villages that are very family friendly. I get the sense from them after many MANY conversations that they are leaning more toward the entertainment + family friendly location because they don't think this move to the UK will be successful without that balance. Something for the kids and adults, and deleting the fun factor could negatively affect both of their happiness. I totally get that. There are so many expats that move back home feel nothing but euphoria about being in a familiar place but after a few years they start to compare life to the qualities that were left behind in the other country. And they become disenchanted. I know something about that firsthand. My friends are trying to avoid that merry-go-round. Hopefully they will chose well.

BEVS Dec 1st 2018 12:53 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12601167)
What factors do you think has changed the most about the class system in the last 15 years which would demonstrate less of a north versus south bias?

Wot you mean .

The class system has always been and remains prevalent throughout the British Isles . That has nothing to do with location . Like other countries , it might have something to do with money old and new & ancestral heritage but it is still nothing to do with location.

Beraider Dec 1st 2018 12:14 pm

For ukwinds, the OP:

it strikes me this would have been a lot easier if your friends asked their own questions and not risked losing something in the interpretation. Just a thought.

durham_lad Dec 1st 2018 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12602407)
Wot you mean .

The class system has always been and remains prevalent throughout the British Isles . That has nothing to do with location . Like other countries , it might have something to do with money old and new & ancestral heritage but it is still nothing to do with location.

My favorite sketch on the class system

christmasoompa Dec 1st 2018 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12602372)
Maybe their solution should be to live 45 minutes of London. That for sure would give them the entertainment factor without question. Quality schools options must be in abundance in that area. But the barrier in considering living near London is gonna be their budget because 700K will probably at best buy a very small property.

Depends on what you count as a 'very small property'. This one is in a village near to me (so amazing schools and within that distance of London), and a 4 bed detached seems a reasonable size to me for that budget - https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-67355218.html

And I live in one of the priciest bits around London, if they moved to Kent, Essex, etc, they'd get a lot more for their money.

A3am Dec 2nd 2018 10:09 am

I've recently returned from the US to Liverpool and love it. The deciding factor us was the cost of living and the accessibility to national parks such as the Lakes and Snowdonia and being on the coast while still being in a city with plenty of culture and nightlife. South Liverpool has some great options for affordable family housing close to the city centre and close to parks. The city has plenty of cultural events/museums/theatres/music events etc. and it is a short 40 minute train ride to Manchester which offers even more. It's also easy to get to Ireland and the rest of Europe thanks to low cost airlines and the ferry port. I've lived in the North and South of England including London. If your friends income will not change with regards to their location, you get so much more for your money in the North of England. We can actually get more house for our money here than we could where we were living in the US. I do think it's a personal preference though. I have friends from the South of England who would never entertain the idea of living in Manchester or Liverpool but for me I personally love the atmosphere and the people of the UK's northern cities.

UkWinds5353 Dec 3rd 2018 6:18 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12602564)
Depends on what you count as a 'very small property'. This one is in a village near to me (so amazing schools and within that distance of London), and a 4 bed detached seems a reasonable size to me for that budget - https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-67355218.html

And I live in one of the priciest bits around London, if they moved to Kent, Essex, etc, they'd get a lot more for their money.

That is a very spacious property and how nice it would it be to have a lot wide enough which offers a sense of privacy. They could do a lot worse than that. I think they will miss their house in the States. In most States you can buy a McMansion for about $600K.

christmasoompa Dec 3rd 2018 10:26 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12603210)
That is a very spacious property and how nice it would it be to have a lot wide enough which offers a sense of privacy. They could do a lot worse than that. I think they will miss their house in the States. In most States you can buy a McMansion for about $600K.

It's got woods all around it and is on a quiet country lane, about as private as you can get!

They could definitely buy more space for their money elsewhere within the same distance of London though, ours is a pretty pricey area.

UkWinds5353 Dec 3rd 2018 10:45 am

Originally Posted by A3am (Post 12602892)
I've recently returned from the US to Liverpool and love it. The deciding factor us was the cost of living and the accessibility to national parks such as the Lakes and Snowdonia and being on the coast while still being in a city with plenty of culture and nightlife. South Liverpool has some great options for affordable family housing close to the city centre and close to parks. The city has plenty of cultural events/museums/theatres/music events etc. and it is a short 40 minute train ride to Manchester which offers even more. It's also easy to get to Ireland and the rest of Europe thanks to low cost airlines and the ferry port. I've lived in the North and South of England including London. If your friends income will not change with regards to their location, you get so much more for your money in the North of England. We can actually get more house for our money here than we could where we were living in the US. I do think it's a personal preference though. I have friends from the South of England who would never entertain the idea of living in Manchester or Liverpool but for me I personally love the atmosphere and the people of the UK's northern cities.

Hi 3am

Scotland's many upsides are incredibly attractive as a possible pick among the various options in the UK. Music venues, history, affordable homes are just a few reasons to consider Scotland. The only major concern might be the aftermath of Brexit and if Scotland will remain in the UK. I had not thought about that issue but my friends did mention it as a potential concern moving forward.. But who knows that might not ever become a real problem even if a hard Brexit does occur.
May I ask why your friends would never consider living in Manchester or Liverpool?

UkWinds5353 Dec 7th 2018 4:42 am

My friends have eliminated London as a potential place to live because of budget concerns. But the good news is they have done quite a bit of research on their own and have narrowed down their target areas to Bristol, Brighton, Kent and Manchester is still in the running. They are leaving for the UK in two more weeks for a nice long vacation. Good for them. I like to see people go after their goals.

BEVS Dec 7th 2018 4:45 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12605221)
My friends have eliminated London as a potential place to live because of budget concerns. But the good news is they have done quite a bit of research on their own and have narrowed down their target areas to Bristol, Brighton, Kent and Manchester is still in the running. They are leaving for the UK in two more weeks for a nice long vacation. Good for them. I like to see people go after their goals.

Have them join BE. :thumbup:

GeniB Dec 8th 2018 8:39 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12603301)
Hi 3am

Scotland's many upsides are incredibly attractive as a possible pick among the various options in the UK. Music venues, history, affordable homes are just a few reasons to consider Scotland. The only major concern might be the aftermath of Brexit and if Scotland will remain in the UK. I had not thought about that issue but my friends did mention it as a potential concern moving forward.. But who knows that might not ever become a real problem even if a hard Brexit does occur.
May I ask why your friends would never consider living in Manchester or Liverpool?

That was a weird reply as 3AM didn't mention Scotland at all?:blink:

I have to agree with him/her as i think the 'scene' in Liverpool and Manchester is amazing. Yet you are within an hour of stunning countryside. Easy enough to travel in to the two cities for any musical events etc. Plus you have the seaside on your doorstep . Doesn't matter what we all say though. It's how conformable this couple will feel when they get there. I hope it all works out fo them