Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Old Jun 24th 2019, 3:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
IMO too, Jehovah be praised. Who the hell wants to find a cake on their doorstep?
And who the hell would eat a cake abandoned, by persons unknown, on their doorstep?
Old Jun 24th 2019, 3:40 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And who the hell would eat a cake abandoned, by persons unknown, on their doorstep?
Nutek?
Old Jun 24th 2019, 3:41 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently one of our moderators. I wish her the best of luck.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 3:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Apparently one of our moderators. I wish her the best of luck.
I never said they were abandoned. I said they were dropped off. They were handed over to us in person.

But hell yeah, I'd eat a cake left with a lovely note. When it comes to cake, I'm from the Nutek school of thinking.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 24th 2019 at 3:48 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 3:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I never said they were abandoned. I said they were dropped off. They were handed over to us in person. ....
That's not what you said, which was this ".... had people we don't even know dropping off cakes etc on the doorstep.", which at best is ambiguous, but the "on the doorstep" led me to believe that you meant dropped off like Amazon packages, placed on the doorstep, not handed to you.

I still can't image eating a cake handed to me by a stranger, or indeed imagine who would knock on a stranger's door and hand a cake to the person who came to the door.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 12:15 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

That's not what you said, which was this ".... had people we don't even know dropping off cakes etc on the doorstep.", which at best is ambiguous, but the "on the doorstep" led me to believe that you meant dropped off like Amazon packages, placed on the doorstep, not handed to you.

I still can't image eating a cake handed to me by a stranger, or indeed imagine who would knock on a stranger's door and hand a cake to the person who came to the door.
It's a different time in society which makes it more difficult to trust blindly but I've had a few instances of random acts of kindness given to me that was a reminder of days gone bye. North Carolina was a place where neighbors looked out for one another. I don't know if the old Andy Griffin Mayberry kindness is still there but it once was.

I remember visiting my mother who had just bought her dream home in the Guildford County area and seeing several of the neighbors knocking on her door and bring over cakes and conversation. I was impressed.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 12:27 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

For friendly lifestyle, I'd head to a village then rather than a town/city. We have a great community here, neighbours that will do anything for us, it's super safe (we rarely lock our doors), and when we've had trying times we've had people we don't even know dropping off cakes etc on the doorstep. I've lived in towns/cities before but you just don't get that kind of thing happening there IMO.
I have to agree with you. Living in a friendly neighborhood will make moving to a different country a lot easier and the assimilation period less stressful. And I like cake also when me wife let's me cheat and eat some.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 1:49 am

How about this. The main house, er, needs a little work, but it does have a tennis court, plus a smaller second house.

Old Jun 25th 2019, 11:21 am
Banned

How about this. The main house, er, needs a little work, but it does have a tennis court, plus a smaller second house.

That's a big place. Guess I could explain the architecture to my wife that once we go Gothic we'll never go back!

My kids thought I was hip and cool when they were little but I still have the lingo.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 12:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
I have to agree with you. Living in a friendly neighborhood will make moving to a different country a lot easier and the assimilation period less stressful.
Absolutely. Despite what Mr Cynical thinks (that'll be you Novo ), a friendly neighbour dropping some homemade treats off doesn't necessarily mean it'll have arsenic in. Sometimes, they are just genuinely nice people.

As you don't have kids and therefore won't be meeting people at the school gates, you'll need to make an effort to integrate in to the community but once you do that you'll usually find that they are super friendly and you'll have good friends in no time.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 1:53 pm
Banned

Absolutely. Despite what Mr Cynical thinks (that'll be you Novo ), a friendly neighbour dropping some homemade treats off doesn't necessarily mean it'll have arsenic in. Sometimes, they are just genuinely nice people.

As you don't have kids and therefore won't be meeting people at the school gates, you'll need to make an effort to integrate in to the community but once you do that you'll usually find that they are super friendly and you'll have good friends in no time.
Bonding with neighbors who also have children is a natural way to make new friends but those same parents(survivalist) also share the experiences of helping adult kids. It's a life long fraternity.
We should do well because my wife & I are extroverts and my lady is a one team welcoming committee. And it doesn't hurt to have a house with a lot of amenities for that allows excess energy to find a positive place to go. Swimming pool, tennis court, Basketball court, Library ect. Really difficult for kids to get distracted and look for trouble when there is a blue-print for energy consumption in place. Energy has to go somewhere and I do enjoy the study of physics.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 1:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

BSwimming pool, tennis court, Basketball court, Library ect.
If you can find all that for your budget in the Home Counties, then I think I need to be paying you to find our future new home!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 25th 2019 at 2:18 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 7:00 pm
Banned

If you can find all that for your budget in the Home Counties, then I think I need to be paying you to find our future new home!
That's what my wife is saying
But I don't give up easily nor am I stubborn to the point of not being a pragmatist.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 9:46 pm
Banned

Finding a property chuck full of amenities at the 2m price point is not easy 50 miles of London. Dorset, Essex, Brighton and outer areas are easier.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 9:48 pm

Finding a property chuck full of amenities at the 2m price point is not easy 50 miles of London. ...
You've only just noticed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.