Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Old Jun 23rd 2019, 2:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
P, You sound like a sharp business person. Have you purchased more than one property in the UK? ....
I only ever bought one home in the UK. I bought as soon as I could, as soon as I had permanent employment (a regular employment contract), and the funds for the 10% deposit. I was lucky to have started when I did because 6 weeks later when the contracts were signed and I picked up the keys, the market price in that neighborhood had risen by 20%, and I would not have been able to afford to buy. I lived there until I left to move to New York.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 4:11 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I only ever bought one home in the UK. I bought as soon as I could, as soon as I had permanent employment (a regular employment contract), and the funds for the 10% deposit. I was lucky to have started when I did because 6 weeks later when the contracts were signed and I picked up the keys, the market price in that neighborhood had risen by 20%, and I would not have been able to afford to buy. I lived there until I left to move to New York.
Where in New York did you live?

It's such a beautiful state and probably one of the best places to live in America. I just got off the road from there.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 5:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your brother, how awful for all of you.

I'm a few miles from Reading, if you have any specific questions about the area feel free to PM me.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 6:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Where in New York did you live?

It's such a beautiful state and probably one of the best places to live in America. I just got off the road from there.
Valhalla, just over the ridge (few hundred feet) from the Kensico reservoir. Commuted into Manhattan from the station at the bottom of the hill, but several issues pushed me close to a nervous breakdown, I couldn't sleep, and my boss was an utter a-hole (he was British, so I am not impugning any New Yorkers). So I quit and left. My wife is from Virginia so naturally we headed south, and short of being offered four times my salary or more, there is zero chance of us ever returning.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 9:33 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sorry to hear about your brother, how awful for all of you.

I'm a few miles from Reading, if you have any specific questions about the area feel free to PM me.
Thanks Christmas.
Very Very kind of you!
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 9:48 pm
Banned

Valhalla, just over the ridge (few hundred feet) from the Kensico reservoir. Commuted into Manhattan from the station at the bottom of the hill, but several issues pushed me close to a nervous breakdown, I couldn't sleep, and my boss was an utter a-hole (he was British, so I am not impugning any New Yorkers). So I quit and left. My wife is from Virginia so naturally we headed south, and short of being offered four times my salary or more, there is zero chance of us ever returning.
New York is not a easy state to call home. It's very beautiful scenically with all the water ways and amazing hills and trees special to that area of the country, but there is a grind and energy to life in NY that can be draining, and especially the closer a person stay is to Manhattan. White Plains and areas 30-70 miles from Manhattan is not far enough away from Manhattan to shield one's self from the fast big city killer instinct attitude of Manhattan. Because a lot of those sharks live 80 miles away from the city. Definitely better for visits than to live near all that for a middle age person like me and my family. Just drove back over 1000 miles this morning . We took a flight there but needed to drive back so we can take care of things for my brother in North Carolina. Time really does move fast.

It's been decades since we lived in the NYC area. When did you move away? Btw, do you like living in Virginia now?

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jun 23rd 2019 at 9:54 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 9:54 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

...Btw, do you like living in Virginia now?
It has to be better than Reading, for sure?

Ok, bite me....
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 10:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
It has to be better than Reading, for sure?

Ok, bite me....
I guess we're going to find out soon. If Reading, Oxforshire, Bucks or Hamp have a friendly lifestyle then that will certainly create a home environment. Life is short and I say go for happiness and help people along the way.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 10:39 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Life is short and I say go for happiness and help people along the way.
All the best for the upcoming visit, keep us posted.

Spoiler:
Reading is a place to change trains, nothing more.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 11:24 pm

New York is not a easy state to call home. It's very beautiful scenically with all the water ways and amazing hills and trees special to that area of the country, but there is a grind and energy to life in NY that can be draining, and especially the closer a person stay is to Manhattan. White Plains and areas 30-70 miles from Manhattan is not far enough away from Manhattan to shield one's self from the fast big city killer instinct attitude of Manhattan. Because a lot of those sharks live 80 miles away from the city. Definitely better for visits than to live near all that for a middle age person like me and my family. Just drove back over 1000 miles this morning . We took a flight there but needed to drive back so we can take care of things for my brother in North Carolina. Time really does move fast.

It's been decades since we lived in the NYC area. When did you move away? ...
We left at the end of June, 2002, after eight very long months in NY. That the price of houses was accelerating away from us was another of the issues - "acceptable" houses were bearly affordable, the property taxes made them impossible for us.

Looking back I am just glad that my house in London didn't sell, otherwise we would have been anchored to NY, and had the inconvenience, and cost, of selling a house there.

... Btw, do you like living in Virginia now?
No. .... I live in NC. We only stayed in Virginia until I found another job.

Once I found a job, we bought a four bed house on several acres, and a 15 year mortgage for less than the rent for a 1 bed apt in Valhalla! The annual property tax in NC was about enough to pay property tax for six weeks on an SFH in Westchester Co!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 24th 2019 at 12:32 am.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 1:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
All the best for the upcoming visit, keep us posted.

Spoiler:
Reading is a place to change trains, nothing more.
You are very kind and thank you for the positive energy. I need it.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 1:22 am
Banned

We left at the end of June, 2002, after eight very long months in NY. That the price of houses was accelerating away from us was another of the issues - "acceptable" houses were bearly affordable, the property taxes made them impossible for us.

Looking back I am just glad that my house in London didn't sell, otherwise we would have been anchored to NY, and had the inconvenience, and cost, of selling a house there.

No. .... I live in NC. We only stayed in Virginia until I found another job.

Once I found a job, we bought a four bed house on several acres, and a 15 year mortgage for less than the rent for a 1 bed apt in Valhalla! The annual property tax in NC was about enough to pay property tax for six weeks on an SFH in Westchester Co!
I really don't know how retired people make it in the Jersey/New York area. The average home cost about $600K-$700K and property taxes are easily about $15K and that is not easy for a person on a fixed income which most people are once retired. I would much prefer western Europe's approach to taxation which allows retirees to remain in their homes. I know friends that gave up their house in New Jersey because of high property taxes. The house was given to them from parents and was paid off but the taxes were more than they could handle. Our taxation scheme does not help families to build wealth.

North Carolina is beautiful. Ashville is like a gift from God.

That's why we're going to lay my brother to rest in NC. It's peaceful.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 1:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I guess we're going to find out soon. If Reading, Oxforshire, Bucks or Hamp have a friendly lifestyle then that will certainly create a home environment. Life is short and I say go for happiness and help people along the way.
For friendly lifestyle, I'd head to a village then rather than a town/city. We have a great community here, neighbours that will do anything for us, it's super safe (we rarely lock our doors), and when we've had trying times we've had people we don't even know dropping off cakes etc on the doorstep. I've lived in towns/cities before but you just don't get that kind of thing happening there IMO.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 2:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
For friendly lifestyle, I'd head to a village then rather than a town/city. We have a great community here, neighbours that will do anything for us, it's super safe (we rarely lock our doors), and when we've had trying times we've had people we don't even know dropping off cakes etc on the doorstep. I've lived in towns/cities before but you just don't get that kind of thing happening there IMO.
IMO too, Jehovah be praised. Who the hell wants to find a cake on their doorstep?
Old Jun 24th 2019, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
IMO too, Jehovah be praised. Who the hell wants to find a cake on their doorstep?
Me. Doorstep, car bonnet, down the back of the sofa, flowerbed. Frankly there's no place I wouldn't be happy to find a cake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.