Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Old Jun 17th 2019, 11:21 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There isn't here (south east England), there's a big shortage of property on the market. Most people seem to be holding fire until after Brexit, so there's little out there for buyers.
That's amazing! For every home I viewed there were 10 I liked just as much, and some of which I made the decision not to post just in case they are on the market when we are ready to buy.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 11:22 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Like the UK there are many variations and just depends where you are really, so not more or less. There are so many micro climates and it can change from location to location. A city like Dublin would see same amounts of rain as Birmingham but then the East Coast near Wicklow would be considered sunnier etc.
East coast has a lot to offer too if you have the money:-) With its historic style and contemporary comforts, rural lakeside location and easy access to town, Pineridge Farm combines the best of all worlds, for an ideal work life balance and a perfect family home. The house also exists within a strong and welcoming community, and is within easy reach of schools and shops, with Dublin City Centre and Airport approximately 45 minutes by car.
https://www.daft.ie/wicklow/houses-f...cklow-2134035/
https://www.daft.ie/wicklow/houses-f...cklow-2123934/
Are you from Ireland?
Old Jun 17th 2019, 11:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
That's amazing! For every home I viewed there were 10 I liked just as much, and some of which I made the decision not to post just in case they are on the market when we are ready to buy.
They may well be. We've had quite a few viewings but no offers yet, people really seem to be holding fire until after Brexit. Which we suspected would happen, and I can't say I blame them. So you may find you're in a strong position and as a buyer ready to go and with no chain will be very sought after.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you from Ireland?
Not originally (although also Irish routes) but now live in Ireland. Moved from the UK nearly 10 years ago.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 11:35 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Why are so many amazing houses on the market? I'm wondering if something afoot is going on. This home is a blend between old and new and it's stone built with a crazy fireplace. This is my wife's type of home. We're going to save so much money in the UK.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...81177347.html#
Beware of "listed" properties - it means it is a registered historic building and there are restrictions on modifications you can make both externally and internally. For example you might not be allowed to install double-glazed windows, and it is unlikely you could either add an extension or change the layout of the interior much either. I'm not saying "don't buy one" but just be aware of what you are getting into. There are at least three different "grades" of listing with different degrees of restrictions.

In this specific case, note that it has a thatched roof, which will need to be replaced every 20 years or so, but as an American you might be more will to accept that fact!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 17th 2019 at 11:41 am.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 2:33 pm
Banned

They may well be. We've had quite a few viewings but no offers yet, people really seem to be holding fire until after Brexit. Which we suspected would happen, and I can't say I blame them. So you may find you're in a strong position and as a buyer ready to go and with no chain will be very sought after.

Best of luck.
Thanks
Old Jun 17th 2019, 2:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Not originally (although also Irish routes) but now live in Ireland. Moved from the UK nearly 10 years ago.
My family has Irish roots as well. Are you in the Cork area or closer to Dublin? I look forward to taking my kids over to Ireland because for them traveling through Europe is going to be like experiencing a bit of history.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 3:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Beware of "listed" properties - it means it is a registered historic building and there are restrictions on modifications you can make both externally and internally. For example you might not be allowed to install double-glazed windows, and it is unlikely you could either add an extension or change the layout of the interior much either. I'm not saying "don't buy one" but just be aware of what you are getting into. There are at least three different "grades" of listing with different degrees of restrictions.

In this specific case, note that it has a thatched roof, which will need to be replaced every 20 years or so, but as an American you might be more will to accept that fact!
P, are you saying American homes are not built to last?

I wouldn't say no to a period home aka "listed" property. it just depends on it's condition and like you said how much work we're allowed to do on it. Starting out we'll probably keep it simple and find a place with expansion potential but not too much of a project property. At some point we might want to add a indoor pool especially with the UK weather. My wife likes older and newer homes but she was raised in a house 80 years old back then. You just don't see that in the States.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 3:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

P, are you saying American homes are not built to last? ....
Well metal roofs have at last become the norm in my neck of the woods, now that Americans have woken up to the idea that installing a roof with an expected life of 20 years is not sensible!
..... I wouldn't say no to a period home aka "listed" property. it just depends on it's condition .
No, "period" and "listed" are not aka's for each other, they are separate matters. Any older property might be described as "period", in other words it has no legal meaning, but "listed " has a specific meaning and is a potential legal minefield, and while I am not an expert of matters of listed properties, I am fairly comfortable saying that would be challenging to attach an indoor pool to a listed property.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 17th 2019 at 3:58 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 3:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say no to a period home aka "listed" property. it just depends on it's condition and like you said how much work we're allowed to do on it. Starting out we'll probably keep it simple and find a place with expansion potential but not too much of a project property. At some point we might want to add a indoor pool especially with the UK weather. My wife likes older and newer homes but she was raised in a house 80 years old back then. You just don't see that in the States.
As long as you are sensitive to it, and get on the right side of your local Conservation Officer, most things aren't an issue, unless you get a real ogre of a Conservation Officer. We've done a 100 sq m kitchen extension, turned a bedroom in to a bathroom, put new windows in and added Velux windows, knocked walls down, and got permission for a standalone annexe in the garden, etc, all with no issues and our house is Grade II* listed.

We've looked at several listed properties with indoor pools just in our area so definitely possible, but again it would just have to be sensitively done and will very much depend on your Conservation Officer. I rather liked this one, which had a clever indoor and outdoor pool - https://www.struttandparker.com/prop...l-street-lot-1

If you do find a listed property you love, I'd recommend making contact with him/her before you commit to buying, to get an idea of how they may feel about your proposed intentions. There are also lots of places you can get good advice, such as Historic England, and even grants available if you buy a property in real need of rescuing.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 17th 2019 at 4:08 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 4:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well metal roofs have at last become the norm in my neck of the woods, now that Americans have woken up to the idea that installing a roof with an expected life of 20 years is not sensible!

No, "period" and "listed" are not aka's for each other, they are separate matters. Any older property might be described as "period", in other words it has no legal meaning, but "listed " has a specific meaning and is a potential legal minefield, and while I am not an expert of matters of listed properties, I am fairly comfortable saying that would be challenging to attach an indoor pool to a listed property.
You make a very valid point and thanks for reminding me about terminology. Sometimes I'm bad about American colloquialism habits. A familiarity in one culture can totally lose it's meaning elsewhere.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 5:18 pm
Banned

As long as you are sensitive to it, and get on the right side of your local Conservation Officer, most things aren't an issue, unless you get a real ogre of a Conservation Officer. We've done a 100 sq m kitchen extension, turned a bedroom in to a bathroom, put new windows in and added Velux windows, knocked walls down, and got permission for a standalone annexe in the garden, etc, all with no issues and our house is Grade II* listed.

We've looked at several listed properties with indoor pools just in our area so definitely possible, but again it would just have to be sensitively done and will very much depend on your Conservation Officer. I rather liked this one, which had a clever indoor and outdoor pool - https://www.struttandparker.com/prop...l-street-lot-1

If you do find a listed property you love, I'd recommend making contact with him/her before you commit to buying, to get an idea of how they may feel about your proposed intentions. There are also lots of places you can get good advice, such as Historic England, and even grants available if you buy a property in real need of rescuing.

HTH.
That is a stunning property and one I would refer to as going all in which we're not quite ready for. The landmass it self really makes that property but it would require a real commitment. Funny thing is if you want a home to be fully appointed with privacy that is about the price point we'll need to consider. We've budgeted max about 1.8m and mostly because we will buy a second home somewhere with warm weather in another country. And I always like to have options just in case the original plan long term no longer feel satisfying. But you know something, based on what I'm seeing online, I think 1.2m or less might buy us what we want for now. We have bought and sold seven houses and several we thought were keepers, and the one we have now is the one we've enjoyed the most and that's why we'll hold-on to it. But if your home is like that in this link, it must hold a lot of fun memories.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 12:55 am
Banned

Chrismasoompa

Now I understand why you thought some of the properties I posted were hideous. They are compared to that lovely Estate you up loaded
Old Jun 18th 2019, 1:30 am
Banned

If a person is willing to live in the countryside you really can own a small piece of English architecture. This home is quite nice and the land size is manageable.

http://www.struttandparker.com/properties/grove-hill-1
Old Jun 18th 2019, 4:26 am
Banned

I now see the importance of picking the right real estate firm in the UK versus here in America. It's a huge deal especially if they have a reputation for representing certain type of properties.

Strutt and parker is a good source.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.