Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best places in UK for non-drivers (except London)

Best places in UK for non-drivers (except London)

Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice
Default Best places in UK for non-drivers (except London)

I have managed to spend a couple of decades in the US without ever learning to drive, and would love to continue this if we return to the UK. I love walking and am a big fan of public transport, plus my husband has a car for longer or suburban trips. Can anyone recommend best non-London locations in the UK for non-drivers?
Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best places in UK for non-drivers (except London)

Dunno about the best but I've never driven and had no problem with Bristol.

Buses are not especially cheap but the service is quite good. Lots of places to get to on the train too.

Not bad for cycle lanes within the city but there are good routes for leisure cycling like the Bristol-Bath route on the old railway line with lots of country type pubs on the way. Plenty of quiet roads taking you out of town.

Ashton Court estate and The Downs for walks.

The airport serves many places and is also easy to get to on public transport.

Easy to get to London too - as well as the Train and National Express there are "shoppers" bus trips a few times a day.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 2:17 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Dunno about the best but I've never driven and had no problem with Bristol.

Buses are not especially cheap but the service is quite good. Lots of places to get to on the train too.

Not bad for cycle lanes within the city but there are good routes for leisure cycling like the Bristol-Bath route on the old railway line with lots of country type pubs on the way. Plenty of quiet roads taking you out of town.

Ashton Court estate and The Downs for walks.

The airport serves many places and is also easy to get to on public transport.

Easy to get to London too - as well as the Train and National Express there are "shoppers" bus trips a few times a day.
I agree with this. When I go back to the UK to visit I rarely hire a car and usually get around Bristol and the surrounding area via train and bus. The transportation system around there is very good imho
Old Nov 6th 2010, 2:38 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I used to run about all over the country with no car when I was a student. Between trains and buses I got everywhere I wanted to go.
I had no troubles getting about in Wales (north and south) Manchester, Chester, Birmingham, and more. So long as you don't live in an isolated village or house on the moors somewhere just about everywhere has some sort of bus service even if it's only twice or three times a day.
I'd look for a smallish town with a train station, from there you can go anywhere.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I am in Cambridge at the moment and the buses here seem pretty good and there are bikes everywhere. My parents live in a village on the outskirts and there is a very well serviced bus route, a reasonably close "Park and Ride" and a train station within a few minutes walk so a train to Cambridge or London is within easy access.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 9:41 am
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute

I can only vouch for Manchester/Cheshire but as the others have said any smallish town with a train station will serve you well. Much as we all moan about the public transport is really is very good with a weeks unlimited bus travel for about £12 round these parts!
Old Nov 6th 2010, 12:08 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Glasgow has good bus, underground and train services. It's only a hour to Edinburgh by train
Old Nov 6th 2010, 2:00 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Glasgow has good bus, underground and train services. It's only a hour to Edinburgh by train
Yep, and there are good places for walking too. Shame it's rarely dry though! Not too far from the coast either, although Largs doesn't always appeal to everyone..
I think Nottingham's quite good (so long as you don't mind a few hills) - the new tram system is good and buses are fairly regular. Some great parks both in the city and in the country too, plus you're close to Derbyshire.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 2:17 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Brighton and York; everything is within easy walking distance in both cities, and Brighton has a really good bus service. If I could choose one over the other, it would probably be Brighton.....or maybe York.....heck, I dunno, I love both for different reasons. I am totally car dependant where I live at the moment, and would love to get rid of it in favour of a bicycle or my own feet. Oh yes....Manchester is quite good too, with the trams and trains (don't know about bus services), and I believe the tram line is supposed (eventually) to get out to Tameside, but I'd give that place a very wide berth!
Old Nov 6th 2010, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Edinburgh is pretty good for walking everywhere - I was there for 4 years as a student and walked everywhere!

Glasgow is good for public transport, but walking around the city it is easy to end up walking through not so nice areas. I don't feel safe walking around Glasgow at night, whereas Edinburgh I always felt fine! That's not necessarily a logical thing, Edinburgh has scary crime occasionally too, but it was how I felt then and feel now.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

LisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really nice

I vote for Brighton. Although I am getting predictable and vote for Brighton as an answer for just about any given question.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice
Smile Re: Best places in UK for non-drivers (except London)

thanks to everyone for these responses. I love Edinburgh, Brighton, have never been to York, except via Google Earth, but it looks picturesque. I think because of my husband's work he would have to be able to commute to London a couple of times a week, so Bath-Bristol area sounds good, and we are also keen cyclists, so I know the countryside around there is gorgeous. Your comments have reminded me, though, how much easier it is to get around UK without a car than the US. I always feel a bit of a freak here for not driving, whereas in the UK it still seems to be quite normal.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 7:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2passports
I always feel a bit of a freak here for not driving.
Yeah...same here. They don't ask for ID, they ask for a driving licence.
It's as if you're a non-person sometimes.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

giolla is an unknown quantity at this point

We are Irish and have spent many week-ends in the UK over the years, we both love the Uk and I have to say I would love to buy a house in York in a few years time when we retire. It's a gorgeous city, historic and quaint and around Christmas is especially magical.