Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best area in SE to rent with four dogs

Best area in SE to rent with four dogs

Old Dec 23rd 2013, 11:44 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 108
jasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best area in SE to rent with four dogs

Hi guys

Does anyone else have a large extended animal family? We have four dogs and two cats (yes, I know!) and would look to buy a detached home in Kent (even if the commute is longer, to give us as much space as possible) when we've been there for a couple of years. To start with though, we're going to have to rent. What areas in the SE are known to have pet-friendly attitudes to rentals, with large gardens to run in around in?

Thanks very much
jasey is offline  
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 5:49 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Tunbridge Wells KENT
Posts: 2,900
Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best area in SE to rent with four dogs

Originally Posted by jasey View Post
Hi guys

Does anyone else have a large extended animal family? We have four dogs and two cats (yes, I know!) and would look to buy a detached home in Kent (even if the commute is longer, to give us as much space as possible) when we've been there for a couple of years. To start with though, we're going to have to rent. What areas in the SE are known to have pet-friendly attitudes to rentals, with large gardens to run in around in?

Thanks very much
The area south of Canterbury towards Wye and westward around Charing and then south of Ashford around Hamstreet and towards Appledore offers plenty of open country and large-gardened properties that lend themselves better to a number of pets and where landlords would be more amenable in this regard.

The commute is not bad either because of fast access via Ashford to St Pancras. I just don't think there is anything much closer in to London with rolling countryside / animal-friendly apart from maybe around Horsmonden with access via a short drive to Tonbridge? or Paddock Wood.

This would be right up your alley and in the right area for the commute - back where your search started originally:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true

Not sure about this for pets as they are not mentioned but the area is right:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-34960282.html
Pistolpete2 is offline  
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 6:08 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 108
jasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best area in SE to rent with four dogs

Thanks Pete! Things keep drawing me back to the Ashford/Canterbury region. As always, your precise locations and examples (and links!) are really helpful. Thank you
jasey is offline  
Old Dec 24th 2013, 7:00 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
bigglesworth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: The Charente - still smiling.
Posts: 2,624
bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best area in SE to rent with four dogs

'Er Indoors (who knows about these things) says four dogs will be hard to find a renter, even with a large deposit. (We also have four ourselves).
Your best route might be to find the property first. You may not have the luxury of picking the area.

Also be aware that the railway lines into London only go as far as the mainline stations. (I know - pretty obvious). West Sussex trains do go to London, but getting into the City can be hard, while the West End is easy. Kent is pretty good for both, although your journey times go up a lot as you ,move outwards.
Hertfordshire and Essex are good for the City and North London.
Surrey and Hampshire easier for the West End.

Of course you can use tubes and buses, but this does add considerably to journey times.
Sorry If I am stating the bleeding obvious, but travel through London is VERY crowded and expensive and often unreliable. The new overground hardly runs some days.
bigglesworth is offline  
Old Dec 24th 2013, 7:46 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 108
jasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best area in SE to rent with four dogs

Originally Posted by bigglesworth View Post
'Er Indoors (who knows about these things) says four dogs will be hard to find a renter, even with a large deposit. (We also have four ourselves).
Your best route might be to find the property first. You may not have the luxury of picking the area.
Thanks for confirming. I realise this may end up being the case. Not the end of the world, given that we'll only rent for a year or so before buying - and then we'll be our own landlords

Originally Posted by bigglesworth View Post
Also be aware that the railway lines into London only go as far as the mainline stations. (I know - pretty obvious). West Sussex trains do go to London, but getting into the City can be hard, while the West End is easy. Kent is pretty good for both, although your journey times go up a lot as you ,move outwards.
Hertfordshire and Essex are good for the City and North London.
Surrey and Hampshire easier for the West End.

Of course you can use tubes and buses, but this does add considerably to journey times.
Sorry If I am stating the bleeding obvious, but travel through London is VERY crowded and expensive and often unreliable. The new overground hardly runs some days.
Not obvious to me at all, so thanks for the additional info. Will have a browse around the areas along the train lines.
jasey is offline  
Old Dec 24th 2013, 10:18 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
bigglesworth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: The Charente - still smiling.
Posts: 2,624
bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best area in SE to rent with four dogs

Jasey

Ashford benefits from cheap (comparatively) property and an absolutely first rate train service (along the Channel rail link lines) of about half an hour into London. BUT it only goes into St Pancras I think.
It is the old lines and connections into Victoria and they are a LOT slower.
bigglesworth is offline  
Old Dec 24th 2013, 11:22 am
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Tunbridge Wells KENT
Posts: 2,900
Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best area in SE to rent with four dogs

Originally Posted by bigglesworth View Post
Jasey

Ashford benefits from cheap (comparatively) property and an absolutely first rate train service (along the Channel rail link lines) of about half an hour into London. BUT it only goes into St Pancras I think.
It is the old lines and connections into Victoria and they are a LOT slower.
There still is service into Charing Cross from Ashford but it takes about 1hr 20mins because it stops at all the intermediate stations in the Weald unlike the days of old when there was fast service from Ashford to Tonbridge and then only London Bridge before Waterloo East and Ch X. SouthEastern push the High Speed service to St P over everything else now, for good reason as it is indeed fast at only 36 minutes.

Coming in from Wye, changing at Ashford takes 52 minutes. From Westenhanger 57 minutes.

Both Wye and Westenhanger offer access to surrounding open country ideal for animals. Use these for searching on rightmove in due course.

I would also think that it is worth looking at the area around Bells Yew Green SE of Tunbridge Wells for open country and pet/possible rentals using Frant or Wadhurst stations with access to Cannon Street for the City and Ch X. In the rush hour, fastest service from Frant to Cannon Street is 59 mins (54 mins coming out) to Ch X a tick over the hour. Renting is affordable there but buying isn't.
Pistolpete2 is offline  
Old Dec 24th 2013, 2:10 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 108
jasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best area in SE to rent with four dogs

Originally Posted by bigglesworth View Post
Jasey

Ashford benefits from cheap (comparatively) property and an absolutely first rate train service (along the Channel rail link lines) of about half an hour into London. BUT it only goes into St Pancras I think.
It is the old lines and connections into Victoria and they are a LOT slower.
Fast = great! And expensive, but that's another story

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 View Post
There still is service into Charing Cross from Ashford but it takes about 1hr 20mins because it stops at all the intermediate stations in the Weald unlike the days of old when there was fast service from Ashford to Tonbridge and then only London Bridge before Waterloo East and Ch X. SouthEastern push the High Speed service to St P over everything else now, for good reason as it is indeed fast at only 36 minutes.

Coming in from Wye, changing at Ashford takes 52 minutes. From Westenhanger 57 minutes.

Both Wye and Westenhanger offer access to surrounding open country ideal for animals. Use these for searching on rightmove in due course.

I would also think that it is worth looking at the area around Bells Yew Green SE of Tunbridge Wells for open country and pet/possible rentals using Frant or Wadhurst stations with access to Cannon Street for the City and Ch X. In the rush hour, fastest service from Frant to Cannon Street is 59 mins (54 mins coming out) to Ch X a tick over the hour. Renting is affordable there but buying isn't.
Thanks Pete, will check Wye/Westenhanger and compare train costs. Haven't checked out Westenhanger at all, so that'll be interesting! Happy to rent in areas I wouldn't be able to buy in ... as long as we have the space we need.
jasey is offline  
Old Dec 24th 2013, 2:45 pm
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
mayhemuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Cornwall >>> Marin, CA >>> Cornwall!
Posts: 740
mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Best area in SE to rent with four dogs

Have a go at this site - goes some quick info on potentials.
BTW We are in Ware and had a time finding a place for one dog!

http://www.commutefrom.co.uk/
mayhemuk is offline  
Old Dec 24th 2013, 2:49 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Tunbridge Wells KENT
Posts: 2,900
Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best area in SE to rent with four dogs

Originally Posted by mayhemuk View Post
Have a go at this site - goes some quick info on potentials.
BTW We are in Ware and had a time finding a place for one dog!

http://www.commutefrom.co.uk/
Ware Herts or Ware Kent?
Pistolpete2 is offline  
Old Dec 26th 2013, 7:52 am
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
mayhemuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Cornwall >>> Marin, CA >>> Cornwall!
Posts: 740
mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Best area in SE to rent with four dogs

Ware Hertfordshire. Sorry for confusion.
mayhemuk is offline  
Old Dec 31st 2013, 4:12 pm
  #12  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: HOME!!!!!!
Posts: 454
britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best area in SE to rent with four dogs

Hi jasey. We have 4 dogs and it was a nightmare. However we found the BEST place to live - a lovely town called Westerham just outside Bromley near Sevenoaks in Kent. The commute to London is easy and you are basically in zone 6 which means oyster card or travel card. The company we rented from were fine with dogs. We actually rented on a country estate. Check out the area online and if you like it contact the lettings agency in town. They're called Karrisons. Good luck!
britwhore is offline  
Old Dec 31st 2013, 5:03 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 108
jasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best area in SE to rent with four dogs

Originally Posted by britwhore View Post
Hi jasey. We have 4 dogs and it was a nightmare. However we found the BEST place to live - a lovely town called Westerham just outside Bromley near Sevenoaks in Kent. The commute to London is easy and you are basically in zone 6 which means oyster card or travel card. The company we rented from were fine with dogs. We actually rented on a country estate. Check out the area online and if you like it contact the lettings agency in town. They're called Karrisons. Good luck!
This is very useful info. Thanks for the specifics and contact info, Britwhore!
jasey is offline  
Old Dec 31st 2013, 5:25 pm
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: HOME!!!!!!
Posts: 454
britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best area in SE to rent with four dogs

no worries. It's a fantastic area. And my dogs LOVE it!!!! We live on a 2600 acre country estate so walk out of our door onto farmland and woodland. Heaven!!
britwhore is offline  
Old Dec 31st 2013, 5:28 pm
  #15  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 108
jasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best area in SE to rent with four dogs

Originally Posted by britwhore View Post
no worries. It's a fantastic area. And my dogs LOVE it!!!! We live on a 2600 acre country estate so walk out of our door onto farmland and woodland. Heaven!!
That sounds like a dream come true. Let's see what 2014 brings!

Happy new year!
jasey is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.