Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Benefits upon returning to UK

Benefits upon returning to UK

Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:24 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benefits upon returning to UK

Originally Posted by BristolUK
What about spouses who have separated and want to return home?

Is it the streets for them? Are they to be punished for daring to fall in love with someone from another country or even follow their Brit partner abroad?

Or those who were taken as children by parents and now they want to come back?

Is there anyone else we can punish while we're at it?
Although I think this government has a lot of difficult decisions to make they do seem to go off half-cock on a lot of them and end up having to backtrack when questions like the above are asked. There is an increasing sense of a "no such thing as a free lunch" mentality these days - maybe rightly so considering there's no money left (to quote the infamous Liam Byrne)
Old Mar 13th 2013, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

manny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nice

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Why is this ruling not right?

Benefits are paid out of taxation - resident taxpayers. If you have been out of the country for years and not paying taxes in the UK, is it 'fair' that you should get benefits from a system you have not paid into? British citizen or not.

One is continually hearing about the outcry of immigrants and foreigners entering the UK and abusing the benefits system. The complaint is that they have not paid anything into the system.

So I don't see that, even if you are British, having lived abroad for years, that you are entitled to such payments either.

There is a proposal afoot that no-one entering the UK be eligible for benefits for the first two years of residency.
I agree with this comment. Unfortunately the benefit culture is very wide-spread and its not uncommon to read news where people are caught for claiming false benefits really abusing the system.

The underlying reason is too lenient benefit system probably results in lack of incentive to work i.e....why the heck would one work if one can get decent sum of money (600-900GBP) per month in benefits in additional to council tax rebate, subsidized or free public transportation etc. I am in favour of benefits given fairly and reasonably (especially to elders and people with genuine physical disability) but its ridiculous on how easy it probably is for some to abuse it. Sadly, it is the people who are working that ends up paying a big chunk of their tax money in the benefit system (about 20% from recently published figures, I think).
Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaniceRae
I am also going through the same problem of wanting to go back.If you want to claim unemployment benifits then you can only have 16 thousand GBP in savings.
If you leave Australia before pension age you will not get your pension as you have to be here 2 years before and 2 years after your birthday to claim,before it can be transfersd to the UK but some countries do not have a wait period.Also Australia is regarded as a welfare benifit as we pay into supers and it is mean tested. I have been told that having worked in Australia goes to wards your credits in Uk for pension.
Working in Australia has nothing to do with the amount of UK state pension you will receive.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Why is this ruling not right?

Benefits are paid out of taxation - resident taxpayers. If you have been out of the country for years and not paying taxes in the UK, is it 'fair' that you should get benefits from a system you have not paid into? British citizen or not.

One is continually hearing about the outcry of immigrants and foreigners entering the UK and abusing the benefits system. The complaint is that they have not paid anything into the system.

So I don't see that, even if you are British, having lived abroad for years, that you are entitled to such payments either.

There is a proposal afoot that no-one entering the UK be eligible for benefits for the first two years of residency.
Because as a British Citizen they (the HMRC) will do everything in their power to claim you are still domiciled in the UK and take 40% of your worldwide assets once you die?
Because as a British Citizen you have the right to vote and therefore they (the politicians) have to care about what you think?
Because you may have already paid in more than the average person's lifetime worth of taxes in the years before you emmigrated from the UK?
Because the system pays to second generation unemployed (who have never contributed and whose parents have also never contributed / not contributed for decades) so why should it treat expat citizens differently?

Last edited by englishguygoinghome; Mar 13th 2013 at 3:42 pm. Reason: Added a 4th one
Old Mar 13th 2013, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JaniceRae
Maybe I did not make myself clear I am not looking for benifits I have never claimed any benifits and if I do come back I shall be self funded, my complaint is that I have paid high taxes yet if I return I cannot get a pension from Australia yet they pay countries like Vietnam.
Any one if citizen can fall on hard times if you are willing to get up and get a job then you should be helped to get one, there is people who have never worked a day in there lives yet expect to be paid benifits.also here in Australia we have Australians struggling after there houses were destroyed with floods and have received very little help.Yet someone arriving on a boat gets almost10 thousand dollars, free medical,dentist, private schools, baby pack, food, housing e.t.c that's what is draining the countries not the citizens who were born there and want work. This place is to multicultural now it is like living in Asia that's why I want to come home ,and many more like me.
I'm really struggling to find a response to this that won't get me severely reprimanded by the moderators, at best.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

What about spouses who have separated and want to return home?

Is it the streets for them? Are they to be punished for daring to fall in love with someone from another country or even follow their Brit partner abroad?

Or those who were taken as children by parents and now they want to come back?

Is there anyone else we can punish while we're at it?
It's not about punishing anyone. It's about the fact that there is a limited pot available and we can't all just take whatever we want out of it when we decide to grace the UK with out presence again.

Why should people who left as children get benefits? If you don't like it, take it up with your parents. I was taken away from a country I loved as a child and the government of that country would fall over laughing if I rocked up now expecting to get every benefit going.

As for the spouse question, as I understand it if someone who moved to Leeds with their partner went through a relationship breakdown and jacked in their job to move home to Cornwall they would be sanctioned. Why should it be any different for someone who left the country?
Old Mar 13th 2013, 4:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almo
It's not about punishing anyone. It's about the fact that there is a limited pot available and we can't all just take whatever we want out of it when we decide to grace the UK with out presence again.

Why should people who left as children get benefits? If you don't like it, take it up with your parents. I was taken away from a country I loved as a child and the government of that country would fall over laughing if I rocked up now expecting to get every benefit going.

As for the spouse question, as I understand it if someone who moved to Leeds with their partner went through a relationship breakdown and jacked in their job to move home to Cornwall they would be sanctioned. Why should it be any different for someone who left the country?
Not sure I understand this bit - how would they be sanctioned?
Old Mar 13th 2013, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dunroving
Not sure I understand this bit - how would they be sanctioned?
They would not be eligible for JSA as I understand it because they had voluntarily left their job.

I've only looked very quickly but this link mentions sanctions for voluntarily leaving a job

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/adviser/update...ction-changes/

Last edited by Almo; Mar 13th 2013 at 4:32 pm. Reason: added a link
Old Mar 13th 2013, 4:50 pm
Ping-ponger

They would not be eligible for JSA as I understand it because they had voluntarily left their job.

I've only looked very quickly but this link mentions sanctions for voluntarily leaving a job

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/adviser/update...ction-changes/
OK, I guess I was thrown by the term sanction - I think of that as more of a punishment or penalty rather than a natural consequence, albeit a negative one (i.e., ineligibility for JSA in this case).

I can understand the idea of someone being ineligible for JSA due to evidently not seeking or not wanting employment, but I think these situations are not always as clear as they seem (e.g., giving up a job to move home and care for a sick parent, rather than repeatedly not turning up for scheduled job interviews).
Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yep, I know what you mean. It's the term they seem to have settled on for whatever reason.

I absolutely agree that job seeking situations aren't black and white.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely agree that job seeking situations aren't black and white.
Neither are the reasons that took one abroad once upon a time and neither are the reasons for return to one's homeland.

Given the outrage on this forum about the restrictions on Brits returning with non EU spouses, I'm a little surprised at the lack of indignation expressed regarding Brits themselves being restricted.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neither are the reasons that took one abroad once upon a time and neither are the reasons for return to one's homeland.

Given the outrage on this forum about the restrictions on Brits returning with non EU spouses, I'm a little surprised at the lack of indignation expressed regarding Brits themselves being restricted.
No, you're right that those are also not black and white, I quite agree. But your comment implied that you felt that spouses in the circumstances you described should be eligible for benefits. I was pointing out that they would be advantaged compared to those who hadn't emigrated and I can't see how that would be fair.

I gave up a well paid job in Australia, as did my partner. I don't think it would be fair to choose to come back here and claim unemployment benefits (I am unemployed), having voluntarily left the UK in the first place and voluntarily left my job in Australia. I wouldn't receive those benefits had I just voluntarily left a job in the UK. I know not everyone has such 'neat' circumstances and on a personal level I feel enormous sympathy for the difficult situations in which some posters find themselves. Unfortunately there are only so many shades of grey the government can cope with (50 I believe ).
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:44 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Benefits upon returning to UK

There is some information here from the Citizen's Advice Bureau about returning British Citizens who want to claim benefits and the Habitual Residence Test:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...tizens_hrt.htm
Old Mar 15th 2013, 2:20 pm
Lelo

lelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
There is some information here from the Citizen's Advice Bureau about returning British Citizens who want to claim benefits and the Habitual Residence Test:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...tizens_hrt.htm
Great Link! Thank you!