British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Benefits in the UK (London) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/benefits-uk-london-740956/)

markrod Feb 23rd 2012 10:49 pm

Re: Benefits in the UK (London)

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9917696)
I don't think you could go back to the US now even if you wanted to....ever...not even for a holiday.

Good luck finding a job. At least all the cycling will keep you fit.

to be honest i would not want to go back being homeless in a country thats not the place you was born in is scary but i did have some good times in the usa and what i learned that amercian people and the way of life and how people live the 2/3 of people in the usa are living pay cheque to pay cheque and are not like people from baywatch and 91210 has anyone watch billy connilly route 66 thats the real america

markrod Feb 23rd 2012 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked (Post 9917905)
MarkR: you've been criticised for not writing very lucid posts. That's valid;-because if you make written application for jobs, that will go against you.

I notice that with BE,-if responding to a quote/post (not Quick Reply),-you have the option of a spell check. This is handy, it really is,-you should click on that and use it.

I've never had a problem with spelling, but I always spell check my posts using my own installed spell checker (ieSpell).

I don't agree with some of your comments, but agree you need a fighting chance to establish yourself back in the UK. Bad spelling errors send a bad message I promise you.

Give it a go; it won't turn you into an eloquent scribe, but it will help you. And for elsewhere-install a free spell check like ieS;-it will be really handy for you.

i am not good at compturs and i am on my nephew laptop and the letters jump i just keep on pushing that door open until i get somewhere

Mummy in the foothills Feb 23rd 2012 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by markrod (Post 9917985)
i am not good at compturs and i am on my nephew laptop and the letters jump i just keep on pushing that door open until i get somewhere

Keep trying, if so many immigrants can find work you can.
If you have been used to low pay illegal immigrant work in US then you should be able to find something, factory work, or even picking at the farms.
I was watching a show about how it's all Polish/Eastern European workers doing all the manual stuff now days, and they don't get minimum wage half the time either.

cosmicjunkie Feb 23rd 2012 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by markrod (Post 9917970)
to be honest i would not want to go back being homeless in a country thats not the place you was born in is scary but i did have some good times in the usa and what i learned that amercian people and the way of life and how people live the 2/3 of people in the usa are living pay cheque to pay cheque and are not like people from baywatch and 91210 has anyone watch billy connilly route 66 thats the real america

I have lived in 4 different countries and I have seen that many people in all four live pay cheque to pay cheque. The only difference in the UK is that there are benefits to help you out in times of need. Unfortunately, there are many people raping the system causing the government to crack down on payouts. By the looks of things it's getting more and more difficult to get money out of them.
I hope you can find a job and sort yourself out soon!:)

BristolUK Feb 24th 2012 3:10 am

Originally Posted by markrod (Post 9917462)
i did not have a bank account in the usa the owner of the company i work for retired i was made homeless because my female friend i was with up and move to another part of the usa i was not intended to sign on when i got back to england i went straigt to my old company i worked which i worked 17 years for to see if there was any jobs there one of the reason i came back one of my family members is in poor health my mums two sisters died two years ago and my mum got no sibings...i borrowed someones push bike to bike ten miles to look for a job and three miles to go to the jobcentere to look for a job they put me on a course which i bike three miles cause i got no money to get public transport

So there you go then. That's what you need to focus on with the job centre.

It became impossible for you to remain in the USA (no home, no job there) and you returned to a part of the UK where you had history and have family. Since being back you've applied for work at X, Y and Z and you've arranged transport (the loan of a bike) to help you with that.

Your work intentions are displayed by you being on the course.

Now while it might seem daft to tell the job centre you're on a course they arranged, that course may not have started at the time the decision was made and/or the person making it wouldn't necessarily have considered it anyway.

Some staff simply apply a qualifying period of actual residency. It's wrong, but some do it. Examples are in the other threads here.

Your appeal might have more chance of success if you focus on the bolded parts.

You probably feel that you've said this to them already, and you may well have done.

But, typically, people are often shocked by this decision and haven't realised the importance of getting the full story over, believing that being British overrides everything else. It doesn't, as you've now discovered.

So the decision may have been made on the original information - probably recorded on an enquiry form. You need to make sure all this extra stuff is recorded so they can reconsider it all.

Have you done anything else that someone re-establishing themselves would do? Opened or resurrected a UK bank account; registered with a doctor; signed on with an agency.

If so, get that across too.

Probably the best you can hope for is for them to change their minds based on this new information.

A compromise alternative is giving up on the claim you made, but making another one from a current date and they may accept you are "more" resident now than you were before, if you see what I mean. Better to lose the first few weeks than to lose out indefinitely.

markrod Feb 24th 2012 9:22 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 9918274)
So there you go then. That's what you need to focus on with the job centre.

It became impossible for you to remain in the USA (no home, no job there) and you returned to a part of the UK where you had history and have family. Since being back you've applied for work at X, Y and Z and you've arranged transport (the loan of a bike) to help you with that.

Your work intentions are displayed by you being on the course.

Now while it might seem daft to tell the job centre you're on a course they arranged, that course may not have started at the time the decision was made and/or the person making it wouldn't necessarily have considered it anyway.

Some staff simply apply a qualifying period of actual residency. It's wrong, but some do it. Examples are in the other threads here.

Your appeal might have more chance of success if you focus on the bolded parts.

You probably feel that you've said this to them already, and you may well have done.

But, typically, people are often shocked by this decision and haven't realised the importance of getting the full story over, believing that being British overrides everything else. It doesn't, as you've now discovered.

So the decision may have been made on the original information - probably recorded on an enquiry form. You need to make sure all this extra stuff is recorded so they can reconsider it all.

Have you done anything else that someone re-establishing themselves would do? Opened or resurrected a UK bank account; registered with a doctor; signed on with an agency.

If so, get that across too.

Probably the best you can hope for is for them to change their minds based on this new information.

A compromise alternative is giving up on the claim you made, but making another one from a current date and they may accept you are "more" resident now than you were before, if you see what I mean. Better to lose the first few weeks than to lose out indefinitely.

i cant get a bank acout yet because my driving photocard got to be renew for change of adress which i have sent off for i am registered whith a doctor and i made copys of the of my email account shows i logon to jobwebsites and my copys of the courses that i am on and copys of jobs that i got a interview for next monday and a copy from a job asking me to fill out the app and send it back to them i got a a tb card from were i was staying in chicago in the homless shelter

Editha Feb 24th 2012 4:14 pm

You said the difficulty you had with writing clearly on this thread, was caused by having to use your nephew's laptop. I have a suggestion. Join the Brighton library. They have free internet access: http://www.brighton.library.on.ca/computers.html

markrod Feb 24th 2012 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 9919026)
You said the difficulty you had with writing clearly on this thread, was caused by having to use your nephew's laptop. I have a suggestion. Join the Brighton library. They have free internet access: http://www.brighton.library.on.ca/computers.html

the jobcentre said you have to pay to go on the net at the library I went
to the jobcentre to put in my appeal and the push bike I borrow to get around on I locked it up and went to get some shoes for the job interview someone nick the vike

Editha Feb 24th 2012 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by markrod (Post 9919569)
to the jobcentre to put in my appeal and the push bike I borrow to get around on I locked it up and went to get some shoes for the job interview someone nick the vike

I'm very sorry, the link to "Brighton Library"on my last post was to a Brighton in Canada!

Here is the right link.. It does say that computer use is free, so the person in the job centre got it wrong.

Mummy in the foothills Feb 24th 2012 9:41 pm

OMG bloody thieves :fingerscrossed: you get a job very soon.

BristolUK Feb 24th 2012 10:56 pm

I don't know if they still do it but a few years ago the job centre were very happy to give a grant (to those eligible) for things like a bike if it helped with finding work.

TheEmperorIsNaked Feb 24th 2012 11:42 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about the bike MarkR-what rotten scumbags!

Btw; it seems to me that if you have been in a homeless shelter in Chicago you can cope with anything! You are making a good effort so keep going! Editha's tip about the library sounds great. Give it a go. Libraries can provide a lot of free resources, of at least they do here.

Again; sorry about the bike kiddo.

MellD Feb 25th 2012 8:47 am

Hi markrod - you may want to check the council's job website out: https://ig5.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_Brigh...4.asp?newms=se. They've been advertising some of the summer jobs over the past few week. (My husbands has an interview to be a train driver on the Volks next week - I've seen jobs for the tennis courts/bowling grounds as well).

Beedubya Feb 25th 2012 7:31 pm

Ya know what? The longer I read this thread the more I think it's a wind up!!!Nobody pays at the library for the first hour on the Internet

Shoes for interviews??

Nicking your Vike??

Methinks you are having us on Mister Troll and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that you live in Australia.:sneaky:

Editha Feb 25th 2012 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9920750)
Ya know what? The longer I read this thread the more I think it's a wind up!!!Nobody pays at the library for the first hour on the Internet

Shoes for interviews??

Nicking your Vike??

Methinks you are having us on Mister Troll and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that you live in Australia.:sneaky:

I wondered whether he was a troll as well, but if he is in Australia, then he has done a lot of research on claiming benefits in the UK.

TheEmperorIsNaked Feb 25th 2012 11:57 pm

Well? MarkR? Yes or no?

It's such a cynical world now, has it reason to be?

Karrie72 Feb 26th 2012 12:03 am

The same thought crossed my mind...but his situation was so pathetic, I had to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'd almost rather he was a troll than be living that harsh reality, know what I mean?

TheEmperorIsNaked Feb 26th 2012 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Montfan72 (Post 9921012)
The same thought crossed my mind...but his situation was so pathetic, I had to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'd almost rather he was a troll than be living that harsh reality, know what I mean?

Yes I do.

markrod Feb 26th 2012 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by MellD (Post 9920152)
Hi markrod - you may want to check the council's job website out: https://ig5.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_Brigh...4.asp?newms=se. They've been advertising some of the summer jobs over the past few week. (My husbands has an interview to be a train driver on the Volks next week - I've seen jobs for the tennis courts/bowling grounds as well).

yes I no that's who I got a interview with cityclean for Brighton&hove council my bike got stolen at worthing on chapel road opposite tesco between 4pm-4.50pm I went to tesco then to 21 to by some shoes then I came back to find the bike was nicked or as the yanks say stolen I would not live in aus

markrod Mar 2nd 2012 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 9920895)
I wondered whether he was a troll as well, but if he is in Australia, then he has done a lot of research on claiming benefits in the UK.

you mind not taking the piss pal i have goldenharr symdrome and was born with one eye oki might not be a gooding looking bloke but i not a troll thankyou

JGT Mar 2nd 2012 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by MrBritUSA (Post 9770312)
Ok, So being as clueless as I can be about the UK having been away so long. I am wondering if I will be entitled to any benefits when I return next year. I have been living in the US now for 28 years and I am now 44 years old/young. My house here in the Silicon Valley is under water and I would like to call it a day here in the US. I plan on finding work as soon as I can like most people returning home. I don’t want to be on the dole forever. That is if I even qualify. I also have read in the many threads that people use the term benefits but do not state what kind of benefits one may be entitled to. So would it be unemployment benefits. Housing benefits and how much would it be. I would like to know what I am facing when returning home. First steps to take etc.

Thanks for reading

@MrBritUSA-

I have lived in the Netherlands for 10 years as a teen. I have only ever paid tax in the Netherlands. I am British. I finally got some relevant info from the benefits dept. I move back to the UK at the end of the month, and will share the outcome. Of course I have already applied for jobs from abroad and hope to get working asap- but i'm prepared for the fact that life isn't always like a box of chocolates all of the time. Also i have never claimed benefits in my life, so please no 'scrounger' remarks.

Here is the info I was presented with:

"Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) is a benefit for people who are unemployed and looking for full time work. There are two main types of JSA.

Contribution-based JSA (JSA (C)) is paid if you have paid enough National Insurance contributions, whilst income-based JSA (JSA (IB)) is means tested, which means that any income and savings you and your partner (if you have one) have may effect how much you receive.

As you say that you have not paid NI contributions in Great Britain, you will not be eligible to receive JSA(C). However, if you have qualified for unemployment benefit in the Netherlands, you may be able to import that benefit for up to 3 months if you are looking for work in Great Britain. You would need to have made a claim for that benefit in the Netherlands at least 4 weeks before you come to the UK. You will then be issued with a form U2, which is a standard form used by all the countries in the EU to give information about a claimant’s entitlement to exported unemployment benefit. When you arrive in Great Britain, you will need to contact Jobcentre Plus to make an appointment to register to import your benefit. You should bring the U2 with you to that appointment.

If you are not entitled to unemployment benefit in the Netherlands, or you choose not to claim that benefit, then you may still be eligible to receive income-based JSA when you return to the UK. However, in order to be entitled to JSA (IB) you will need to demonstrate that you have a right to reside and are ‘habitually resident’ in Great Britain.

The term ‘habitual residence’ refers to a test of whether a person is normally resident in Great Britain and eligible to benefits. British citizens have an automatic right of residence in the UK , but the test of habitual residence is applied to everyone who applies for JSA (IB) including British Citizens.

As you have lived in the Great Britain in the past and you are resuming your residence you may be able to be treated as habitually resident immediately.

Whether this will apply to you will be considered by a Decision Maker and will depend on the circumstances under which your earlier habitual residence was lost; including the links you maintained with the UK whilst you were abroad and the circumstances of your return to the UK .

As the term ‘habitually resident’ is not defined in benefit regulations and there is no absolute definition or list of factors which determines a person’s habitual residency, a Decision Maker will need to look at your personal circumstances in order to decide whether you are habitually resident. You will generally have to show that you intend to make your home in the UK by, for example, bringing your possessions with you or travelling on a one-way ticket. You must also be actually resident before you become habitually resident. There is no minimum period for which you need to be resident, but the longer you are here the easier it will be to demonstrate that you are habitually resident."

The last sentence seems to be what the unsuccessful person in the thread was saying. Let's hope the 'decision maker' isn't a idiot.

Also, I think if you have more than 16,000GBP in savings you may not be eligible.

Good luck, I'll keep you posted as to my situation.

TheEmperorIsNaked Mar 2nd 2012 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by JGT (Post 9932366)
@MrBritUSA-

I have lived in the Netherlands for 10 years as a teen. I have only ever paid tax in the Netherlands. I am British. I finally got some relevant info from the benefits dept. I move back to the UK at the end of the month, and will share the outcome. Of course I have already applied for jobs from abroad and hope to get working asap- but i'm prepared for the fact that life isn't always like a box of chocolates all of the time. Also i have never claimed benefits in my life, so please no 'scrounger' remarks.

"Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) is a benefit for people who are unemployed and looking for full time work. There are two main types of JSA.

Contribution-based JSA (JSA (C)) is paid if you have paid enough National Insurance contributions, whilst income-based JSA (JSA (IB)) is means tested, which means that any income and savings you and your partner (if you have one) have may effect how much you receive.

As you say that you have not paid NI contributions in Great Britain, you will not be eligible to receive JSA(C). However, if you have qualified for unemployment benefit in the Netherlands, you may be able to import that benefit for up to 3 months if you are looking for work in Great Britain. You would need to have made a claim for that benefit in the Netherlands at least 4 weeks before you come to the UK. You will then be issued with a form U2, which is a standard form used by all the countries in the EU to give information about a claimant’s entitlement to exported unemployment benefit. When you arrive in Great Britain, you will need to contact Jobcentre Plus to make an appointment to register to import your benefit. You should bring the U2 with you to that appointment.

If you are not entitled to unemployment benefit in the Netherlands, or you choose not to claim that benefit, then you may still be eligible to receive income-based JSA when you return to the UK. However, in order to be entitled to JSA (IB) you will need to demonstrate that you have a right to reside and are ‘habitually resident’ in Great Britain.

The term ‘habitual residence’ refers to a test of whether a person is normally resident in Great Britain and eligible to benefits. British citizens have an automatic right of residence in the UK , but the test of habitual residence is applied to everyone who applies for JSA (IB) including British Citizens.

As you have lived in the Great Britain in the past and you are resuming your residence you may be able to be treated as habitually resident immediately.

Whether this will apply to you will be considered by a Decision Maker and will depend on the circumstances under which your earlier habitual residence was lost; including the links you maintained with the UK whilst you were abroad and the circumstances of your return to the UK .

As the term ‘habitually resident’ is not defined in benefit regulations and there is no absolute definition or list of factors which determines a person’s habitual residency, a Decision Maker will need to look at your personal circumstances in order to decide whether you are habitually resident. You will generally have to show that you intend to make your home in the UK by, for example, bringing your possessions with you or travelling on a one-way ticket. You must also be actually resident before you become habitually resident. There is no minimum period for which you need to be resident, but the longer you are here the easier it will be to demonstrate that you are habitually resident."

The last sentence seems to be what the unsuccessful person in the thread was saying. Let's hope the 'decision maker' isn't a idiot.

Also, I think if you have more than 16,000GBP in savings you may not be eligible.

A very clear and informative post !! :)

MrBritUSA Mar 11th 2012 5:46 am

@MrBritUSA-

Great Reply. Thank you for the info. This will certainly help.

nun Mar 11th 2012 1:03 pm

@MrBritUSA-

The type of NI contributions is also relevant. Class 2 voluntary NI contributions
do not count towards Job Seeker's allowance.

markrod Jun 24th 2012 10:03 am

well just to. people know if u coming back ti England. due no fault. of ur and. u want help from the government. beware u can cliam. jsa until 30 days after u sign on if u be outside. of the UK now

markrod Jun 24th 2012 10:06 am

never give in i now got. a job and a flat without. the help from the government

chazlondon Jun 24th 2012 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by markrod (Post 10135933)
never give in i now got. a job and a flat without. the help from the government

Good for you, probably the 'go get it attitude' you picked up in the US, what kind of job did you get.

morayeel Jun 24th 2012 12:27 pm

I came back after 25 years and have been awarded JSA, waiting on habitual residency test for housing allowance, its been over a month... so don't know if I will recieve it or not. I wouldn't blame them if they decided not to because I have worked in the US and not here.

Tr1boy Jun 24th 2012 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by chazlondon (Post 10136132)
Good for you, probably the 'go get it attitude' you picked up in the US, what kind of job did you get.

eh? plenty of us have done that without living in the US! We've done it three times back and forth and never claimed a penny (or a cent).

formula Jun 25th 2012 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Tr1boy (Post 10136149)
eh? plenty of us have done that without living in the US! We've done it three times back and forth and never claimed a penny (or a cent).

:rofl: And many people in the UK have worked and never claimed welfare either.

The "entitled to" class are getting another shock as more welfare cuts are being announced today, hot on the heels of the welfare changes that are already coming in from this year - too many to list. At last we are going to lose the label of 'Welfare Britain'.

morayeel Jun 27th 2012 8:48 am

eh? yes I know claiming you feel like a scrounger but sometimes peoples life events make this a blessing. I have worked all my life in US, never claimed a cent from anyone, but due to unforseen cirumstances I needed some help but I do understand the frustration feel about this. When I worked in US people received EBT (food stamps) and it would make me frustrated that they were receiving help and eating better than me!