Been home 5 weeks now

Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Been home 5 weeks now

Originally Posted by Sue
So pleased that things are coming together for you. That's great news indeed.

Please don't abandon BE, I'm sure there are many who would benefit from your experiences of moving back.
Yes I agree - being back home is the beginning of your transition back into life in UK. This is no different to your transition into your life abroad. It would be interesting to know if you feel the same way in 6 months, or more specifically, what others planning on doing the same, need to consider.

Your relative short time away is enough to experience quite a bit of change, what with the state of Britain now. It's therefore imperative that others think of their move (back) as objectively as possible, as there's too many stories of people who end up leaving UK again because they hadn't anticipated the reality. Although I hope you continue to feel you've made the right decision.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

bigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to all

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
Yes I agree - being back home is the beginning of your transition back into life in UK. This is no different to your transition into your life abroad. It would be interesting to know if you feel the same way in 6 months, or more specifically, what others planning on doing the same, need to consider.

Your relative short time away is enough to experience quite a bit of change, what with the state of Britain now. It's therefore imperative that others think of their move (back) as objectively as possible, as there's too many stories of people who end up leaving UK again because they hadn't anticipated the reality. Although I hope you continue to feel you've made the right decision.
Hi.
I will indeed remain on this forum. Been home for near 2 months now and I just feel like I never left the UK in the first place. I do not miss America at all.It just feels like a bad dream. We only moved there for my wife to help care for her elderly father who passed away last July and then with all my health problems from the military, having no family nor friends, it was time to come home. I think that because I had such a negative experience I will never regret coming home. I am a very homely person. I got homesick in Wales for 10 days

I did have a novelty factor when we first returned.I could have ended up in the ER from an overdose from crunchies. I was away everywhere then got bored of it. However my current mood is reflective of having never been away. I will update as the months pass.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

We have been back in the UK for over 12months now after 12 years overseas.....people might get sick of hearing from me (sorry if thats the case) after all this time but I hope in some ways I help eluviate some of the fears, myths, rumours some people might have about a return home. For us lots of things have changed but we take it all in our stride and treat being back home as another adventure, we also try and take each day as it comes....we also have the experience of the emotions of moving and all it entails and we also now have the confidence of doing what we want to do and how we want to do things. You really cannot have it all which is a shame..lol, you just have to try and figure out what does make you happy and take it from there.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:54 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
We have been back in the UK for over 12months now after 12 years overseas.....people might get sick of hearing from me (sorry if thats the case) after all this time but I hope in some ways I help eluviate some of the fears, myths, rumours some people might have about a return home. For us lots of things have changed but we take it all in our stride and treat being back home as another adventure, we also try and take each day as it comes....we also have the experience of the emotions of moving and all it entails and we also now have the confidence of doing what we want to do and how we want to do things. You really cannot have it all which is a shame..lol, you just have to try and figure out what does make you happy and take it from there.
Don't be silly! I bet no-one gets tired of hearing from you - it's great to get that perspective. But I do get the sense that maybe you're not quite as happy as you were when you first got back. Is that right or am I reading too much into things? Also, feel free to ignore me if I am being too nosy!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Don't be silly! I bet no-one gets tired of hearing from you - it's great to get that perspective. But I do get the sense that maybe you're not quite as happy as you were when you first got back. Is that right or am I reading too much into things? Also, feel free to ignore me if I am being too nosy!
While awaiting a response from the OP, any significant event in one's life, even getting a new car or getting an additional phone line installed, is preceded by a high, followed soon after the event by a low, as reality sets in. This is particularly noticeable when the high comes from marketing hype (e.g. the new car). I think moving countries is no exception, even if doing the move back. The thrill of the decision probably wears off quickly, although hopefully in most cases it is still regarded as the right decision. We'll have to see if this is the case here, but I suspect the OP has just got used to being back home and the thrill has worn off a little.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 2:19 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Not sick of hearing you at all, it's good to hear all sides so we can prepare as much as possible.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

bigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to all

While awaiting a response from the OP, any significant event in one's life, even getting a new car or getting an additional phone line installed, is preceded by a high, followed soon after the event by a low, as reality sets in. This is particularly noticeable when the high comes from marketing hype (e.g. the new car). I think moving countries is no exception, even if doing the move back. The thrill of the decision probably wears off quickly, although hopefully in most cases it is still regarded as the right decision. We'll have to see if this is the case here, but I suspect the OP has just got used to being back home and the thrill has worn off a little.
I just replied with an update yesterday.

Being back home is just like I never left and that is the modest feeling that I was probably expecting from returning. Life is just calm right now and very warmly with family. I just feel right at home, where I belong.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh.... we are just fine and just as happy to be back "home"....no regrets...just spent the day with my MIL shopping at the Meadow Hall in Sheffield and it's just sooooooooo nice to be able to do those kind of things....my brother just telephoned and invited us on his family holiday(bless) to Bulgaria in August....again a lovely thing to happen...alas not going as we are busy looking at homes etc at the moment and we also have a holiday already booked later on in the year. Sorry S.S but your senses, I am happy to say are way out...lol
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think we were just realistic about what we expected about our return home,
we were returning because we wanted to and not because we thought it would fix what we did not like in Aus etc..I don't like buying homes or cars (done that to many times for it to be a buzz lol) but it's something to be done......and we certainly did not find it thrilling to migrate or return home...our thrill's really are gained just by doing what we enjoy, visiting towns, villages etc, taking in the lovely countryside...olde worlde places etc watching our football team "live" and at the stadium...lol we also knew there would be some things we would miss in Aus but to be truthful we don't really miss anything about our life in Aus that makes us feel "off" at times...we are not daft though and know human nature or circumstances come along sometimes that might change the outlook you have on life but we don't wait around for that to happen...might not and then what a waste.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 8:35 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Oh.... we are just fine and just as happy to be back "home"....no regrets...just spent the day with my MIL shopping at the Meadow Hall in Sheffield and it's just sooooooooo nice to be able to do those kind of things....my brother just telephoned and invited us on his family holiday(bless) to Bulgaria in August....again a lovely thing to happen...alas not going as we are busy looking at homes etc at the moment and we also have a holiday already booked later on in the year. Sorry S.S but your senses, I am happy to say are way out...lol
Good! I'm glad I'm wrong