Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Been back a year this week

Been back a year this week

Old Aug 12th 2012, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice
Default Been back a year this week

Well that year has flown by !!!!!!
After 10yrs in Canada we finally took the plunge and moved back to the UK. Its been a roller coaster ride with our teenage son,who is still struggling with the UK eg, friends,school,just the differnet way of life here. His memories are in Canada and is finding life over her very difficult especially at this age. 14yrs
We fit in again no problem,it felt like home the minute we stepped off the plane.But we cannot settle %100 until our son is happy. We are trying every thing we can to help him,but i am not sure its going to work out.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 3:55 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been back a year this week

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
After 10yrs in Canada we finally took the plunge and moved back to the UK. Its been a roller coaster ride with our teenage son,who is still struggling with the UK eg, friends,school,just the differnet way of life here. His memories are in Canada and is finding life over her very difficult especially at this age. 14yrs
We fit in again no problem,it felt like home the minute we stepped off the plane.But we cannot settle %100 until our son is happy. We are trying every thing we can to help him,but i am not sure its going to work out.
Thank you for the update. I remember you leaving Alberta last year as I was following your story. We just arrived back from Calgary on Friday, so it is early days for us. I really hope things work out for your son and that you will all be able to settle soon.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 4:50 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

That has gone fast. Heres hoping your Ds can find some way to help himself settle and find good friends.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I was just wondering about you the other day. So glad you posted to let us know how things are going..
Old Aug 12th 2012, 10:15 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! I'm so sorry that I didn't end up in Kendal so we could have met for that coffee.

Such a tough situation with your son. I really hope you find a way to make it work but I realize how difficult it must be.

Lovely to hear from you though!
Old Aug 15th 2012, 7:39 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

14 is such a difficult age, it is why we wanted to move while the boys were young (10). He will come round in time.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

He will fit in with time I am sure, he is at the age where friendships are formed. Get him involved with outside school activities so that he can form some new friendships and then he will adapt to life easier.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

well after a year of not settling at school ,we finally moved our son to another school in September. We were told not to move him by the teachers,but to be honest,its the best thing we ever did. We went off our son's comments and listened to what he told us (some horror stories). The school was a joke,so moving him to a much smaller school,has really helped him alot. It was a huge shock for him to come back over to the UK at this age (13yrs). He didnt adapt well at all. But this school is really helping him settle,and they are doing every thing to help him .So things are looking up
Old Nov 10th 2012, 7:12 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

well after a year of not settling at school ,we finally moved our son to another school in September. We were told not to move him by the teachers,but to be honest,its the best thing we ever did. We went off our son's comments and listened to what he told us (some horror stories). The school was a joke,so moving him to a much smaller school,has really helped him alot. It was a huge shock for him to come back over to the UK at this age (13yrs). He didnt adapt well at all. But this school is really helping him settle,and they are doing every thing to help him .So things are looking up

That's great news. I hope he does well in his new school. Based on the current weather, I bet you are glad you are not in Alberta right now. I am certainly enjoying the fact that there is still greenery all around and the trees haven't yet shed all of their leaves.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 12:00 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

I love these successful "back home" stories. They give me hope.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

yes it was a dodgy start (for our son) and i can hold my hands up and say we did say a few times "Lets go back". But i think you have to give it atleast a year or two,if you have been away from the UK along time. It is a culture shock for kids,and its hard on them. But i think it can be done if you take the time to dig deep into what your childs needs to settle and be happy.
I think the key is to first find a nice area and just go for it !!!!
Good luck everyone
Old Nov 11th 2012, 7:54 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so glad to hear about your son. That's great news