Been back four days!

Old Sep 16th 2006, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Been back four days!

After the most stressful week of my life, selling the house, staying in hotels and dealing with two screaming boys who turned into absolute monsters, we arrived safely in the UK on Wednesday morning.

We were able to get car insurance right away to drive the car my parents have given us and we went right out to HSBC to transfer some money from the US, as my wife's Aunt (our agent) settled on the house sale on Monday while we were en route in Boston, and then went and bought a new computer. Since then we've also ordered a new TV, bought a Freeview box, new mobile phones and a teasmade. It's been a lot of fun having money from the house sale and buying everything new but I suppose I should save a bit for one of the ridiculously expensive houses here!

The shops here are just wonderful. Tesco has everything I missed. It is crowded bt there's a part of me that loves it. 30 checkouts open instead of 2 in the US. The place is buzzing and just seems so much more alive. Marks & Spencer's food department is about 90% ready meals! It's absolutely incredible. I can't wait to try them all. Argos is fantastic. You can even punch your numbers in and pay at a machine these days. We went to Woking Town Centre today and it was superb going from shop to shop (and market stalls too), acquiring more and more bags along the way. I can go in WHSmith again! I can go in Boots again! I was never a fan of shopping in the US but now I realise just how lifeless it was pushing a trolley around WalMart buying everything in one place and then getting right back in the car.

My parents have been wonderful with the boys and entertained them while we've got on with the less interesting things we have to take care of.

Before anyone shoots me down, I KNOW I'm still in the honeymoon period and can't make any judgement about whether the move was the right thing to do yet. However, I was prepared to have a bit of reverse culture shock and cry about having left the US, but so far... NOTHING! I DO feel like I've picked up where I've left off and I DON'T feel like the UK has changed that much in five years. I may feel differently once we settle back into the daily grind but right now everything seems right with the world and I'm right where I belong. I can even make conversation with people here without feeling like an idiot!

My wife has been wonderful. She is really embracing the UK. She loves the shops too and is researching places to recycle all kinds of different stuff. She has driven and has done really well, even with the roundabouts! I hope she continues to feel at home.

Well I'm quite prepared to have more negatives to report next time I post, but I just wanted to post an update to let you all know we arrived safely and that right now I couldn't be happier.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been back four days!

Originally Posted by Always21
After the most stressful week of my life, selling the house, staying in hotels and dealing with two screaming boys who turned into absolute monsters, we arrived safely in the UK on Wednesday morning.

We were able to get car insurance right away to drive the car my parents have given us and we went right out to HSBC to transfer some money from the US, as my wife's Aunt (our agent) settled on the house sale on Monday while we were en route in Boston, and then went and bought a new computer. Since then we've also ordered a new TV, bought a Freeview box, new mobile phones and a teasmade. It's been a lot of fun having money from the house sale and buying everything new but I suppose I should save a bit for one of the ridiculously expensive houses here!

The shops here are just wonderful. Tesco has everything I missed. It is crowded bt there's a part of me that loves it. 30 checkouts open instead of 2 in the US. The place is buzzing and just seems so much more alive. Marks & Spencer's food department is about 90% ready meals! It's absolutely incredible. I can't wait to try them all. Argos is fantastic. You can even punch your numbers in and pay at a machine these days. We went to Woking Town Centre today and it was superb going from shop to shop (and market stalls too), acquiring more and more bags along the way. I can go in WHSmith again! I can go in Boots again! I was never a fan of shopping in the US but now I realise just how lifeless it was pushing a trolley around WalMart buying everything in one place and then getting right back in the car.

My parents have been wonderful with the boys and entertained them while we've got on with the less interesting things we have to take care of.

Before anyone shoots me down, I KNOW I'm still in the honeymoon period and can't make any judgement about whether the move was the right thing to do yet. However, I was prepared to have a bit of reverse culture shock and cry about having left the US, but so far... NOTHING! I DO feel like I've picked up where I've left off and I DON'T feel like the UK has changed that much in five years. I may feel differently once we settle back into the daily grind but right now everything seems right with the world and I'm right where I belong. I can even make conversation with people here without feeling like an idiot!

My wife has been wonderful. She is really embracing the UK. She loves the shops too and is researching places to recycle all kinds of different stuff. She has driven and has done really well, even with the roundabouts! I hope she continues to feel at home.

Well I'm quite prepared to have more negatives to report next time I post, but I just wanted to post an update to let you all know we arrived safely and that right now I couldn't be happier.
Great stuff to hear, and look forward to more news from the home front
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:19 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just reading that makes me want to go home.

Good luck to you ,hope all goes well.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

im so happy for you
hope life continues to be good
keep us updated
c xxx
Old Sep 16th 2006, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clydegirl
Just reading that makes me want to go home.

Good luck to you ,hope all goes well.
It made me homesick too.

Glad things are going well, and you arrived safe and sound.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 10:29 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad your settling back in to life in the UK. I am sure your wife will adjust to the UK, its going to be a very hectic time for you all.
Its only a year since the last time I left the UK, and I hadn't realized how much you miss the simple things like shopping on a UK high street. My last home in the UK was a small market town with a little pedestrianized street. I remember at the time thinking it was a pain having to walk from store to store, and head back to the car park with all your bags. I'd love to do just that now, instead of the hum drum shopping that is the US experience. Its not enough to make me want to go back, but I do miss it. Of all the countries I have lived in the UK and its small shops has to be my favorite.

Originally Posted by Always21
Old Sep 16th 2006, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

kaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to all

Glad you are happy to be back, hope all goes wll for you
Old Sep 16th 2006, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I have been worried about you.. ...but not anymore. Its sounds like your doing just fine What a lovely post. Its now only 4 weeks till I leave, I'm just trying to sell my dam car. I've had 2 people make appointments and not had the courtesy to turn up..or even phone and tell me they aren't coming, at least! Anyway I will not allow that to cloud my good mood. Keep us posted.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 11:50 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome home!!!
Old Sep 17th 2006, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Its nice to read that you are settling in to UK life.
I think we all have doubts about going back, as i know I feel excited one minute and doubtful the next. I just hope that i feel the same when its my turn.

Whisky
Old Sep 17th 2006, 12:20 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

It didn't make me homesick. You cannot base your life around ready meals.

But good luck anyway
Old Sep 17th 2006, 1:11 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you're really happy at the moment. And with such a realistic attitude, I'm sure that you'll handle any little negativities. Have fun!
Old Sep 17th 2006, 6:29 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

glad that you're so excited.....nice to read happy stories.....not sure about those ready meals though.....
Old Sep 17th 2006, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
It didn't make me homesick. You cannot base your life around ready meals.

But good luck anyway
I don't recall saying I was basing my life around ready meals. Perhaps you missed the sentence about the wonderful family I have here?

I wasn't trying to make anyone homesick, but I WAS homesick in the US. Not terribly so - I was happy enough - but it's only since being back here that I realize just how different I am here. I walked down to the post box last night. It was so still and quiet outside and the streets are so familiar and it felt wonderful. I guess once we have a house in a different area from where I grew up it may feel different, but right now I have this incredible peace of mind and sense of belonging.

Last edited by Always21; Sep 17th 2006 at 8:16 am.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I have been worried about you.. ...but not anymore. Its sounds like your doing just fine What a lovely post. Its now only 4 weeks till I leave, I'm just trying to sell my dam car. I've had 2 people make appointments and not had the courtesy to turn up..or even phone and tell me they aren't coming, at least! Anyway I will not allow that to cloud my good mood. Keep us posted.
Good luck with the car. We were fortunate enough that our next door neighbour wanted to buy one of our cars. The other one wasn't worth much so we gave it away to a couple at church who needed one. It's amazing how many people didn't show up in the US. We Freecycled a lot of stuff and SO many people didn't show up... the stuff was FREE for crying out loud! I'm not saying it would be any different in the UK though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.