Been back 2 months

Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Gill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud of
Default Been back 2 months

Hi All

Thought I'd post an update!

My husband and I both got jobs last week so that has helped enormously.

We landed in the UK on 13th Jan 2011 and spent the first 4 weeks living with my parents - not great. My husband has his "wobble" during this time and questioned if we'd made the right decision. I haven't for a second regretted returning here, so having made it plain that I wouldn't be returning to Australia if my husband felt the need to - he quickly changed his mind and started being more positive about us being in the UK!

My husband could have found work earlier but we spent a few weeks researching him setting up his car sales business again. After looking at many commercial units and speaking to people in the motor industry, he decided that now is not a good time to be opening up a business so is working as a mechanic for a dealership. I'm sure he will be self-employed again at some point, but now isn't the time.

I've got work within the chemical industry (having worked in this industry since leaving school and not managing to get a job for the 2 and 1/2 years we lived in Australia). I'm starting on a temporary contact (as all new employees with company are) and hope to be a permanent employee later this year. Amazingly, I only started looking for work 3 weeks ago so I know how lucky I've been to get this.

So, for us, it's all starting to fall into place and we are still very happy to be back.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been back 2 months

Good to hear that it is all falling into place Gill. I must say that I am impressed by the number of returnees who are finding work - maybe it has something to do with the place you are trying to find work in and maybe it isnt the same all over the country but it is at least positive that there are some places where work is available! Well done!
Old Mar 14th 2011, 1:51 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

So glad you're settling in - it's so encouraging for the rest of us and I really appreciate you taking the time to write
Old Mar 14th 2011, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

great news Gill and so very happy for you, and thanks so much for letting us know how you are doing!
Did you find a rental? What part of the North East are you in?
Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Gill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone.

I know that I kept looking for comments from people who had returned to the UK while we were in the process of doing so, so I understand how helpful it can be to read updates!

We are in Ingleby Barwick - the same area we used to live in. We did find a rental but had to pay 6 months in advance as we were not in employment. We also found when searching for a rental that landlords wanted us to sign up for at least one year and each time we made an appointment to see a house, there was at least one other family looking at the same time. I appreciate this might just be relevant in the area we were looking.

We bought a house within a few weeks of being back and it will be ready to move in during July/Aug this year, so we didn't want to sign up for a year. We were very lucky that the rental we are in had landlords that were only looking to lease it for 6 months - which is apparently very rare.

On we go!
Old Mar 15th 2011, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Hi. My name is Louise and i'm replying through the hubby's name. We have been in Sydney now for nearly 3 years. We said we would do a 4 year contract then go back to UK, but in that time we have had an amazing time. My hubby has settled in really well and doesn't want to return , although i still feel we should. It makes it so hard that we are torn in this decision. We have to young children and i feel that we should return as i feel the kids need their grand parents and aunts and uncles in helping them to grow up...my husband feels very different and thinks we should think of ourselves. I feel very selfish wanting to take the family back, but feel this is still the best thing to do.
Gill i see you feel settled, how did you all settle back into UK life and was it a joint decision to return or was it very one sided like we are????
HELP i'm so confused
Old Mar 15th 2011, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Louise

Sorry to hear you are confused! I think most people who emigrate are because you are never 100% sure if you have done the right thing or not.

It was a joint decision for us to move back but was probably 60% me and 40% hubby. Our daughter who is 10 helped us decide as she told us how much she was missing her 'real' friends in the UK and her grandparents, aunties, uncles, cousins etc.

It's such a personal choice as to whether you stay or return. I know people who like me have returned to the UK and been happy to be back - only to start questioning their decision after 18 months when life settles down.

I don't think you are ever totally sure but you just have to do what feels right. I can imagine it's very difficult in your situation where one of you has no desire to return.

I hope other people join the thread and offer you some advice too.

Take care

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
Hi. My name is Louise and i'm replying through the hubby's name. We have been in Sydney now for nearly 3 years. We said we would do a 4 year contract then go back to UK, but in that time we have had an amazing time. My hubby has settled in really well and doesn't want to return , although i still feel we should. It makes it so hard that we are torn in this decision. We have to young children and i feel that we should return as i feel the kids need their grand parents and aunts and uncles in helping them to grow up...my husband feels very different and thinks we should think of ourselves. I feel very selfish wanting to take the family back, but feel this is still the best thing to do.
Gill i see you feel settled, how did you all settle back into UK life and was it a joint decision to return or was it very one sided like we are????
HELP i'm so confused
Old Mar 18th 2011, 6:55 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
HELP i'm so confused
i think when you have children it needs to be a joint decision otherwise it will cause major resentment..i have 3 kids and will be returning to the UK when we all decide the time is right for all of us to return.