Banking Foreign Cheques

Old Oct 29th 2023, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough
Default Banking Foreign Cheques

I receive a yearly 401k payment by cheque as the US company will not pay directly to a foreign account.

Barclays have advised that they will not accept foreign cheques from next year, I assume other banks will be following the same path if they haven't already as they are all cutting services.

Does anyone know if there is an alternative method of negotiating a US$ cheque?

Old Oct 29th 2023, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking Foreign Cheques

Why not open a Wise account with a pot in dollars?
Wise will provide you with US-style banking details, so the US company can pay the money into that.
You can then transfer the money to your UK bank whenever you like.
I’ve been using Wise for years now and am very happy with them.
Originally I opened the account for the purposes of foreign currency exchange. But more recently - with all the scams out there - I’ve been using my Wise card for any online purchases. I keep less than a thousand euros in the account so anyone hacking into it would never have access to our main bank account.

One point to remember: Wise is a fintech, not a bank. So personally I wouldn’t keep very large sums in it for long periods of time.
Old Oct 29th 2023, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Why not open a Wise account with a pot in dollars?
Wise will provide you with US-style banking details, so the US company can pay the money into that.
You can then transfer the money to your UK bank whenever you like.
I’ve been using Wise for years now and am very happy with them.
Originally I opened the account for the purposes of foreign currency exchange. But more recently - with all the scams out there - I’ve been using my Wise card for any online purchases. I keep less than a thousand euros in the account so anyone hacking into it would never have access to our main bank account.

One point to remember: Wise is a fintech, not a bank. So personally I wouldn’t keep very large sums in it for long periods of time.
This is what I do also, with the IRA in my Vanguard account, and it would be a good solution for the OP going forward.

However I am not sure what to advise the OP with their existing cheque in USD if they don't have a US bank account account into which to do a mobile cheque deposit. (I don't think Wise will accept mobile cheque deposits).
Old Feb 20th 2024, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Thanks for this. Hadn't seen reply till now.
This sounds like the solution for me.