Bank Account/Living UK

Old May 9th 2005, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

uk2006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bank Account/Living UK

I am currently living in the United States and plan on moving to London either this year or the next. The main reason is that I want to experience some new things and also visit Paris and the other Euro cities. I have a British Passport but have not lived in the UK as an adult. The question I have is how would I go about opening a bank account in London. Which banks would you recommend? Royal Bank of Scotland was going to be my first choice. Do they having any minimum requirements (£2000 or greater)? How much money would I need to get set up in London? I am single without any dependents so shared housing would be OK. Thanks to all who assist in this query.
Old May 9th 2005, 8:15 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bank Account/Living UK

Have a look here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi...09610116,88950,

This is a fantastic site and has loads of info about every type of finance you will require, plus a chat forum which is very handy.

Hope it helps
Old May 9th 2005, 8:51 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk2006
I am currently living in the United States and plan on moving to London either this year or the next. The main reason is that I want to experience some new things and also visit Paris and the other Euro cities. I have a British Passport but have not lived in the UK as an adult. The question I have is how would I go about opening a bank account in London. Which banks would you recommend? Royal Bank of Scotland was going to be my first choice. Do they having any minimum requirements (£2000 or greater)? How much money would I need to get set up in London? I am single without any dependents so shared housing would be OK. Thanks to all who assist in this query.

For temp jobs, flat/house shares, travel planning, finance, classified ads etc. you might want to check out the 'backpacker' website TNT...it's mostly used by travellers from the Commonwealth countries; Aussies, Kiwis, South Africans, Zimbabweans, Canadians but is a good source of info:

http://www.tntmagazine.com

also the London site of http://www.craigslist.com might be useful!

Hope this helps...
Old May 9th 2005, 9:10 pm
ags
Forum Regular

ags is on a distinguished road

Personally I would not touch Royal Bank of Scotland. Opened an account when we came back and had nothing but trouble. Barclays not too good either, but it is a personal choice. Most of the big guys are pretty much the same.
Old May 9th 2005, 10:45 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ags
Personally I would not touch Royal Bank of Scotland. Opened an account when we came back and had nothing but trouble. Barclays not too good either, but it is a personal choice. Most of the big guys are pretty much the same.

Yip, i agree...

as a person who worked for a major bank in the uk for years, my advice would be stickto the smaller banks or building societies, or better still use an internet banking account like Cahoot or Egg or First Direct. good interest rates on their currenct and savings accts as well...
Old May 10th 2005, 9:57 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I have internet banking with Smile and they've been fantastic.
Old May 10th 2005, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all

Depends on the bank. Some are happy just with a passport (UK, not sure about foreign ones) and proof of address. Others are more more difficult. Shop around though as some of the big banks have terrible policies and/or customer service (from personal experience).