Bank Account

Old Jan 13th 2016, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

cyborg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bank Account

Does anyone have advice on how to open a bank account or building society account before moving back to the UK from the US or when I arrive.

Thank you

Marty
Old Jan 14th 2016, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank Account

Originally Posted by cyborg
Does anyone have advice on how to open a bank account or building society account before moving back to the UK from the US or when I arrive.
Thank you
Marty
Many European banks don't like to have US citizens as customers (except zillionaires). So if you are are US citizen then after you arrive it is best not to tell the bank or give them reason to suspect that you might be.

Other posters here have opened bank accounts in the Isle of Man while still living in USA. I'm not sure of the details. An Isle of Man Bank account gives you almost everything a UK account gives you.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you

Marty
I wouldn't even waste your time trying before you arrive. Your overseas cards will all work here so plan to do that for the short term upon arrival. Then look to get proof of address firmly in place as soon as you can, utilities and council tax in particular as these are often asked for in financial / banking processes here.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 8:17 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you

Marty
Originally Posted by holly_1948
Many European banks don't like to have US citizens as customers (except zillionaires). So if you are are US citizen then after you arrive it is best not to tell the bank or give them reason to suspect that you might be.

Other posters here have opened bank accounts in the Isle of Man while still living in USA. I'm not sure of the details. An Isle of Man Bank account gives you almost everything a UK account gives you.
Yes exactly. Isle of Man offshore accounts are designed for folks like us, e.g. U.S. citizen British expats, so they are easy accounts to open if you're resident in the U.S. Just need a few notarised docs to prove your identity & residence address, such as passport and a recent bank statement.

Mine is Lloyds Bank. I mention that because I think most IoM offshore accounts are just savings accounts or various investment vehicles, but Lloyds (maybe Barclays too) has a regular current account. It is EXACTLY like an ordinary UK account, with cheques, debit/ATM card, the ability to set up direct debits etc.

I've been back in the UK almost a year and I've no incentive to set up a British account, the IoM one works fine. There are no fees, maybe you have to keep a minimum balance (£5,000?) for that.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

cyborg is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh hold on I am not a US citizen lived here with my green card had no desire to dirty my British passport by mixing it with a US passport or doing anything to become a US citizen in the freaky crazy US hence had enough here. I am British always will be so when I go home with 200k just looking to deposit it into a bank or building society and wanted to know if i could easily do that after i get home.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 12:39 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Oh hold on ....

I am British always will be so when I go home with 200k just looking to deposit it into a bank or building society and wanted to know if i could easily do that after i get home.
when you get back, have a UK address, the simple answer is yes
Old Jan 14th 2016, 12:49 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh hold on I am not a US citizen lived here with my green card had no desire to dirty my British passport by mixing it with a US passport or doing anything to become a US citizen in the freaky crazy US hence had enough here. I am British always will be so when I go home with 200k just looking to deposit it into a bank or building society and wanted to know if i could easily do that after i get home.
Ah OK, in your first post you asked about opening an account before you returned to the UK.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
when you get back, have a UK address, the simple answer is yes
Once you arrive and apply in person the bank will want two things
1. Proof of right to reside (passport is fine for this)
2. Proof of address (signed rental contract or house purchase closing papers (if recent) or other house ownership papers (if not a recent purchase)). Or other (more complicated) proof.

Simplest is to open that IoM bank account ahead of time and so hit the ground running.