Bank Account

Old Nov 23rd 2006, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

thaiguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bank Account

Hello I have just joined the board.

I am moving back to the UK next month after 10 years living in Thailand. I have to say I am excited and nervous all at the same time. I have of course been back several times for holiday, but this time is seems very different. I am sure the discovery of this forum will help.

Anyway back to the point of my post, I have no UK bank accounts, and not even a UK address at this moment. It is my intention to stay with my mother for a few weeks when I return then look to rent a house. Naturally I cant start that process until I return. I was going to apply for a UK current account online, then it occurred to me I have no address, job, etc etc etc. So the question is how the hell do I go about getting set up with a bank account etc. The other problem is renting a house, I have been looking online and they naturally want bank details for d/d payments.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank Account

Returnees and new immigrants commonly have a hard time opening a bank account in the UK because they are unable to provide proofs of address, like a utility bill, that the banks require for security reasons. HSBC in the US and Australia have let people open a UK bank account from abroad. I was able to open one in Washington DC and had a British debit card and cheque book within a week. Are you able to get to Bangkok easily? If so, I would really recommend seeing if HSBC there will do the same.

Unfortunately I only opened the account under my name, thinking it would be easy to add my wife to the account once in the UK. Unfortunately not; they still needed proof of address which we had a hard time providing. They wouldn't even accept a letter from HSBC in the US addressed to her at out UK address! So yeah, definitely get an account opened before you leave if they will let you.

Good luck!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:04 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank Account

Originally Posted by thaiguy
Hello I have just joined the board.

I am moving back to the UK next month after 10 years living in Thailand. I have to say I am excited and nervous all at the same time. I have of course been back several times for holiday, but this time is seems very different. I am sure the discovery of this forum will help.

Anyway back to the point of my post, I have no UK bank accounts, and not even a UK address at this moment. It is my intention to stay with my mother for a few weeks when I return then look to rent a house. Naturally I cant start that process until I return. I was going to apply for a UK current account online, then it occurred to me I have no address, job, etc etc etc. So the question is how the hell do I go about getting set up with a bank account etc. The other problem is renting a house, I have been looking online and they naturally want bank details for d/d payments.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.
hi thai Guy ,
when I retruned to the uk we found opening an account difficult the banks ask for ref's from a previous institution. biulding socities where fine we used passports for ID we weren't asked to prove our address .citibank run an online bank that you can setup in one currency and use in another but there are charges involved. the HSBC was also reasonably helpful . good luck