Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Back to the UK, Sask to UK , need advice

Back to the UK, Sask to UK , need advice

Old Jul 2nd 2018, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Baz024 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Back to the UK, Sask to UK , need advice

Looking for some help, thinking of heading back home after an 11yr experience out in Saskatchewan.

I have read at some point on this site that it is possible to get a cruise back to the UK from Canada, does anyone know how to do this or has ever done it?

I have some belongings and a Mutt i want to bring back and was thinking i could buy a cheap van or truck and load it up and simply get on a cruise back, is this legit or just my imagination?

anyone have any advice they can give me, i'd really appreciate it.

Have to sell my house which im thinking i will try on my own through one of those internet packages you can buy.

Have to make sure i can bring the mutt with out too many issues.

I have alot of electronics id like to bring and thinking to myself usually things are rated for both 110 and 240 but obviously plugs are different so i wonder if i can just get new leads?

Any one have any tips??

Thank You

Barry
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 11:26 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to the UK, Sask to UK , need advice

You can't get a RoRo ferry across the Atlantic if that's what you're suggesting. If your electronics are universal (110-240v, 50-60Hz) then it's just a case of getting leads with UK plugs if they are separate (e.g. figure of eight, kettle) or cutting off the Canadian plug and wiring in a UK plug if they are not.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baz024
Looking for some help, thinking of heading back home after an 11yr experience out in Saskatchewan.

I have read at some point on this site that it is possible to get a cruise back to the UK from Canada, does anyone know how to do this or has ever done it?

I have some belongings and a Mutt i want to bring back and was thinking i could buy a cheap van or truck and load it up and simply get on a cruise back, is this legit or just my imagination?

anyone have any advice they can give me, i'd really appreciate it.

Have to sell my house which im thinking i will try on my own through one of those internet packages you can buy.

Have to make sure i can bring the mutt with out too many issues.

I have alot of electronics id like to bring and thinking to myself usually things are rated for both 110 and 240 but obviously plugs are different so i wonder if i can just get new leads?

Any one have any tips??

Thank You

Barry
Its best to fly your pet, as there is really no other way... its the quickest less stressful way for him/, On the electronics I would look at shippers to quote by sea via part load in a container, which is cheaper than air. Depends on weight and volume.

Your dog needs to have an ISO compliant Microchip ( in the US/ Canada I think they usually use another type so ensure vet knows he is flying to UK /EU) before a Rabies vaccine . Otherwise you need to strap a chip reader onto his carrier that reads the chip type inserted.. 21 days must elapse before travel. Vet needs to check dog and worm him before travel.You can fly the dog into heathrow, gatwick or Manchester only.

.Size of carrier.. look at below info from Heathrow animal reception centre. It's worth getting the dog used to the carrier before travel, by feeding him in it etc. Lots of info on here and they are very helpful. https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/serv...efault.aspxAir

Air Canada flies pets into UK. Normally into the UK they travel in a special area in the hold ( under flight deck ) which is heated and pressurised so nice and quiet once take off is over. However I believe air canad a is currently part of a trial to allow pets to travel in cabin ( only small ones -into the UK or out of). https://www.aircanada.com/cargo/en/s...tions/ac-live/

A previous posted recommended Air Transat.You can use a pet relocation company or try and arrange it yourself if the air line lets you. like petrelocation, petairuk or others for an idea. Here are previous threads on the forum about dog Canada UK.

Taking my Pet Dog Canada to UK

On the house sale, I dont know your area, but ask around to people ... generally a good agent with track record helps sell easier than having to show house yourself and agents have potetial buyers on their books usually.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 12:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angie_329
Its best to fly your pet, as there is really no other way... its the quickest less stressful way for him/, .
A number of posters have described taking their pets across the Atlantic by Cunard liner. I should think that, after a life on the ocean wave, being squished into an aeroplane baggage compartment would not seem an acceptable way to travel.