Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Back to the UK with health issues

Back to the UK with health issues

Old May 12th 2016, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

cowpey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Back to the UK with health issues

hi there we have been in Australia (ctiizens)for 9 years and my 44 yr old hubby got bile duct cancer and is just finishing surgery and chemo with a good outlook. Hes desperate to go back to the UK and my mum is unwell and I want to spend time with her. We are heading back in July. He will need bloods and CT scan every 3 months for a year to check the nasty doesn't come back.
we are travelling one way and I have family place to stay. i will work there but hubby wont.
i have got leave without pay for a year and hubby will resign his post. we will let our AUS home out for a year.
I am wondering if he will be classed as ordinarily resident for purposes of obtaining NHS check ups with a GI surgeon/oncologist.
does he need some sort of extra health cover ?
we dont want to get there and then face thousands of pounds of treatment as we havent got the money.we think we are coming back to Oz but at the moment nothing seems clear.
the info on NHS charges doesnt seem clear enough for uk citizens who live abroad.
any suggestions much appreciated.
Old May 12th 2016, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to the UK with health issues

If you are going back to live in the UK and obtain accommodation to prove you are residents in the country (utility bills, rent/mortgage) then you should not have any problems getting health care.

Of course, if your intention is to return home just to get medical treatment and someone suspects you of this, then problems might arise.

The NHS is for legal residents of the UK.
Old May 13th 2016, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Should be no issue. We hadn't though about it prior to moving back in March as we were healthy and well - 4 weeks in I needed GP and hospital treatment and not issues at all
Old May 16th 2016, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

I belive you will have to to have proof of residency.. Some form of rental agreement or a bill in your name. Best of luck to you and I hope your hubby stays well.