Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Back in the UK - 4 days update!

Back in the UK - 4 days update!

Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Gill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud of
Default Back in the UK - 4 days update!

Hi All

We arrived in cold, dark, rainy Heathrow on Thursday morning having spent 20 hours in the air. Having not left Australia for the 2 and a half years we were there, we totally forgot just how far away it is from the UK!

All went okay - flew with Qantas, flights were on time and all our suitcases arrived.

It has been great so far to be back but obviously we have a lot to do.

Our eldest daughter started school today in her old class and has slotted straight back in. Getting the school place was one of my biggest concerns so this has been a huge relief.

Getting a rental seems to be difficult in our area at the moment - Ingleby Barwick, North East UK. I was told by one estate agents this morning that they have rented out 15 properties in our area since 3rd Jan! Our container arrives on 23rd Jan at the port, so I really want a rental sorted this week.

We do have an appointment to view a house on Wednesday which has just come on the rental market, so hopefully we will get this. Because we are not in employment yet, we have been told we will need to pay 6 months rent in advance.

We've bought a car and having phoned lots of the major insurance companies, I can recommend using Budget Insurance as they are one of the few who will accept a foreign proof of no claims - saving me about GBP500 from what other companies are quoting.

Our next major hurdle is getting jobs. My husband plans to be self employed again and I'll be looking for a managerial/admin type job. We are lucky that our childminder who looked after my eldest daughter from being 1 year old to us leaving the UK when she was 7, has a space for my 3 year old.

So, so far so good. I couldn't believe the variety of foods available in Tesco having got used to Coles and Woolworths! I've found some fruit to be more expensive than in Australia, but almost everything else is much cheaper!

Fingers crossed that things fall into place over the next few months.......
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:07 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in the UK - 4 days update!

It does sounds like it's all slotting into place
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

cockneysparra is just really nicecockneysparra is just really nicecockneysparra is just really nicecockneysparra is just really nicecockneysparra is just really nicecockneysparra is just really nicecockneysparra is just really nicecockneysparra is just really nice

Good for you, Gill123! All sounds good thus far. I'm stuck with the decision to take my family back after 5 years in Melbourne, or just carry on as normal & hope the very strong feelings of missing our family die down again. We've been talking it over with our dearest friends in Oz, and the thought of leaving them is quite torturous, but we regain all our family & friends of old. Hubby isn't convinced moving back is a wise idea, but will make the move if that is my decision. It's all so hard!! Good luck to you though
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done with the school, that must be a big relief.

On rentals, we have had similar issue and have paid 5 months up front even though I have a job starting 1st February.

Good luck in your search.

Peter
(My container arrives in the UK next week )
Old Jan 17th 2011, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

we have been away 10yrs and are looking to go back,when the house sells.We are so scared of making the wrong choice,but know we dont want to live here in Alberta any longer.One day we are going back the next we are moving to a different part........just cant decide.But so glad the school is sorted etc let us know how it all goes.
good luck
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:13 pm

confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gill123
Hi All

We arrived in cold, dark, rainy Heathrow on Thursday morning having spent 20 hours in the air. Having not left Australia for the 2 and a half years we were there, we totally forgot just how far away it is from the UK!

All went okay - flew with Qantas, flights were on time and all our suitcases arrived.

Our eldest daughter started school today in her old class and has slotted straight back in. Getting the school place was one of my biggest concerns so this has been a huge relief.

Getting a rental seems to be difficult in our area at the moment - Ingleby Barwick, North East UK. I was told by one estate agents this morning that they have rented out 15 properties in our area since 3rd Jan! Our container arrives on 23rd Jan at the port, so I really want a rental sorted this week.

We do have an appointment to view a house on Wednesday which has just come on the rental market, so hopefully we will get this. Because we are not in employment yet, we have been told we will need to pay 6 months rent in advance.

We've bought a car and having phoned lots of the major insurance companies, I can recommend using Budget Insurance as they are one of the few who will accept a foreign proof of no claims - saving me about GBP500 from what other companies are quoting.

Our next major hurdle is getting jobs. My husband plans to be self employed again and I'll be looking for a managerial/admin type job. We are lucky that our childminder who looked after my eldest daughter from being 1 year old to us leaving the UK when she was 7, has a space for my 3 year old.

So, so far so good. I couldn't believe the variety of foods available in Tesco having got used to Coles and Woolworths! I've found some fruit to be more expensive than in Australia, but almost everything else is much cheaper!

Ah life. As you arrived I just left the same area after 3 months. Have to return for a finite period. But my mind is made up. I'm writing from a beach location about 75F. Still wish I was going up Roseberry Topping today whatever the weather. I even changed my ticket last week to give me extra days in the UK just did not want to come back

Wish you success.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Good heavens, you did say 4 days and not 4 weeks! You certainly dont let the grass grow under your feet do you? It still looks as if getting a rental is a darned sight easier than it is here!

Hope the work thing takes off successfully too!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ValeSpark
Well done with the school, that must be a big relief.

On rentals, we have had similar issue and have paid 5 months up front even though I have a job starting 1st February.

Good luck in your search.

Peter
(My container arrives in the UK next week )
Wow Peter, I must have missed your pingpongpingpong! I hope you have found somewhere wonderful that all of you can enjoy now.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:52 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Things WILL fall into place, give it time. You will have times when you'll question being back but I'm sure you had a good reason for coming back from Oz - we did!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:22 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill123
Hi All

Hi Gill

very interesting post, I lived in Ingleby barwick before I moved to Aus, Ive been gone around 6 years now and with a baby on the way 'feeling curious' about what it would be like to live back there (although hubby wont) So is it still the same as it was when you left? I will be following your post with interest so please keep me updated, best of luck with everything
Old Jan 19th 2011, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Gill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud of

Hi

Ingleby is basically the same - lots of houses and not much space between them! There are a lot more apartments and semi-detached houses too to make it more affordable for first home buyers.

Having lived in WA for more than two years, the houses look very "old fashioned" compared to Australia - even though they are not really! Our new build house in Ingleby Barwick which we sold when we emigrated is only 8 years old, but when we drove past it this week, it looks 25 years old!

It still feels good to be back!

If I can help you with anything from here, let me know!

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
Hi Gill

very interesting post, I lived in Ingleby barwick before I moved to Aus, Ive been gone around 6 years now and with a baby on the way 'feeling curious' about what it would be like to live back there (although hubby wont) So is it still the same as it was when you left? I will be following your post with interest so please keep me updated, best of luck with everything
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:52 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gill,
I know what you mean about the houses being so close, I could not imagine living back in our 2 bed terrace after living here, its so interesting to hear how its all going. I would love a Friar tucks though, is that still there?

Did you get the rental? cant wait to hear your next instalment
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

well we are still deciding to move back to the uk or not to move back to the uk.We probably will be like this up until the day we have to move out of our home lol.Ten years is a long time to be away and is so scarey to go back to.What do you find the most challenging and changed thing so far about the uk?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

After 2 and a half years away, we had forgotten the variety of shopping that's available here - far more than there was in WA.

We'd also forgotten how small the roads are and how muddy everything is! We built our house on sand and rarely saw mud.

Where we lived in oz, the roads and paths were new - so very smooth. Here the roads and paths are in desperate need of repair. It's just a small thing that makes no real difference to every day life, just something we've noticed!

We'd forgotten how friendly everyone is though! We got such a lovely welcome from everyone when we returned to my daughter's school. We expected people to be depressed and miserable here, but we haven't found that at all. There is a general feeling that people are worried about their finances and job security, but they are just getting on with it and not letting it get to them.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

oh thats good to know there is only a few minor things.
I find the Brits very friendly people compared to other nations.That is one thing me and my OH miss so much about the UK.He would say "it takes me hours to cut the grass" and it was because everyone going by would stop and talk.Here no one even gives a nod never mind 5 mins of their time to chat.That is some thing we are looking forward to so much ,a good laugh with the Brits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.