Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Back in the UK - 4 days update!

Back in the UK - 4 days update!

Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:25 pm

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Back in the UK - 4 days update!

Originally Posted by gazmfc
Hi All, So interesting to read all the posts by people who are a a few years ahead of us....or not I hope! We have lodged our visa application for NZ and are awaiting a reply. Who knows how things will work out but we obviously hope we love it in NZ and settle for life....but who knows.

All i'll say regarding the UK, especially in the N.E (i'm from Stokesley nr Middlesbrough) is things have changed dramatically in the past 2 years. The economy is in a real mess and will be for some time. Jobs are very hard to come by (unemployment is currently at 2.5M nationally and 10% in the N.E. this will only get worse with large scale redundancies in the public sector planned for 2011. Inflation is at 3.7% and the R.P.I is 4.8% including fuel prices, so prices are increasing, jobs are hard to find and salary's/hours are been reduced in an effort to save jobs!

One thing to watch if you are returning to the UK is house prices, they are falling quickly and are anticipated to fall by 10% to 20% in the next 18 months depending who you listen to. I have and a large number of other people are selling, banking the money and renting. Also, interest rates are expected to start going up from this summer which are foretasted to increase the average UK mortgage by £1K per month.

VAT has just been increased to 20% and the top rate of income tax has been raised to 50%. If you add the increases in tax, interest rates and consumable prices (fuel has gone up 10p per ltr in a month) and add to the mix difficulties in job retention and a decline in salary's it doesn't paint a bright future. Many economists are predicting a tough economic climate for the next 20 years!!

So, all I will say is think long and hard about returning to the UK, get as much information on the UK as you possibly can, in fact treat it like a foreign country you haven't visited before because in many many ways it is!

lastly have a look at the adverse weather condition we've encountered here in the last two years, again those are predicted to continue.

However, i'll wish you all the very best of luck with your decision and I hope it works out for you and your family whatever you decide.

GOOD LUCK!
A very informative post.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:27 pm

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
Well there are places in the UK that you walk around with your head down so you don't get it kicked in, let's not kid ourselves.

Generalising it to the whole population is the problem, as is pretending it's not like that anywhere.

Yes, I so agree.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:28 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
As in most countries
That was really my point - the UK has its bogans just like everywhere else.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:36 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All, So interesting to read all the posts by people who are a a few years ahead of us....or not I hope! We have lodged our visa application for NZ and are awaiting a reply. Who knows how things will work out but we obviously hope we love it in NZ and settle for life....but who knows.

All i'll say regarding the UK, especially in the N.E (i'm from Stokesley nr Middlesbrough) is things have changed dramatically in the past 2 years. The economy is in a real mess and will be for some time. Jobs are very hard to come by (unemployment is currently at 2.5M nationally and 10% in the N.E. this will only get worse with large scale redundancies in the public sector planned for 2011. Inflation is at 3.7% and the R.P.I is 4.8% including fuel prices, so prices are increasing, jobs are hard to find and salary's/hours are been reduced in an effort to save jobs!

One thing to watch if you are returning to the UK is house prices, they are falling quickly and are anticipated to fall by 10% to 20% in the next 18 months depending who you listen to. I have and a large number of other people are selling, banking the money and renting. Also, interest rates are expected to start going up from this summer which are foretasted to increase the average UK mortgage by £1K per month.

VAT has just been increased to 20% and the top rate of income tax has been raised to 50%. If you add the increases in tax, interest rates and consumable prices (fuel has gone up 10p per ltr in a month) and add to the mix difficulties in job retention and a decline in salary's it doesn't paint a bright future. Many economists are predicting a tough economic climate for the next 20 years!!

So, all I will say is think long and hard about returning to the UK, get as much information on the UK as you possibly can, in fact treat it like a foreign country you haven't visited before because in many many ways it is!

lastly have a look at the adverse weather condition we've encountered here in the last two years, again those are predicted to continue.

However, i'll wish you all the very best of luck with your decision and I hope it works out for you and your family whatever you decide.

GOOD LUCK!
Top rate of income tax is now 50% - that's disastrous ... for anyone earning over £150,000. Sorry, I can't get too excited about that as a harbinger of doom, that's just a world away from most people's salary.

Interest rates to go up by £1k a month? That would be £12k a year. That corresponds to a rate hike of 1%, affecting a mortgage of £1.2m .... again, I can't get too excited about this.

Sure things are going to get worse, but these figures get thrown about as if they apply to real people and they simply don't. A 1% intereat rate hike in mortgage rates (probably the highest likely in 2011), would increase the monthly mortgage on a £150k mortgage by £125 a month. Not to be sneezed at by any means, but not in the realms of the shock horror tales you currently hear from the opposition and the hysteric media.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
Don't be worried, it's fantastic here! We've been back for 6 weeks and loving every minute. I know why I'm here - friends, family, British countryside and HUMOUR. It's just amazing to be back and I only wish we'd done it sooner (and so does my Canadian husband). I knew Canada wasn't right for a long time but I'll never regret it as it has taught me to truly, truly love everything in my life right now. You won't look back I'm sure. Best of luck.
Hi Lillybillie101, you sound very happy and its good to know you are settling well and I was interested to see your Canadian hubby is too! Has he lived in UK before? I am in a similar situation with a Canadian husband, planning to move in a few years and I worry in case we get there and he hates it! He has been before and loved it, however its one thing to be on holiday and another to live in a place. I would hate it if he was miserable and wanted to come back

How long did the Settlement visa take?
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 7:41 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wawa
Hi Lillybillie101, you sound very happy and its good to know you are settling well and I was interested to see your Canadian hubby is too! Has he lived in UK before? I am in a similar situation with a Canadian husband, planning to move in a few years and I worry in case we get there and he hates it! He has been before and loved it, however its one thing to be on holiday and another to live in a place. I would hate it if he was miserable and wanted to come back

How long did the Settlement visa take?
The visa took no time at all. It's an easy process compared to what I had to do in Canada. I think it took three weeks in total. My Canadian residency visa took almost one year!

And he did live in the UK when he was 18 years old until he was 20. He was young, free and single and lived with five nurses so yes, he loved it.....very fond memories! Of course, he now has a wife and two kids and a dog so things are a little different but he is truly enjoying it. I haven't seen him so happy in a long time.

Work is a worry right now but he's in IT so I'm sure something will come up. His resume is taking a long time to adapt and adjust to British recruiters eyes so maybe get your husband to think about that in advance. The better prepared you are the less stress this end!

The weather is a little grey but yesterday was stunning blue skies and we enjoyed a drive (him driving - yikes) and we went far into the Peak District. It was so beautiful. We don't like very hot weather, in fact I hate it unless I'm by a pool. I just can't function in it so the British climate suits me much better. If I get sun starved we'll go away for a few days I guess.

I feel back to my happy old self and find I'm looking forward to the little things. We're meeting with a group of old friends at the weekend and going on a hike with kids and dogs and then all of are going for a Sunday roast at the pub. It's a simple day out but everything that I've been missing.

We're currently living with my Mum which is fantastic and takes the pressure of financially. We're very lucky. We will be selling my Mum's and finding a place together which we're very excited about. It means we can get a much bigger property and all be together.

Life is wonderful so far. It is early days but I don't doubt our decision for a second. I'll keep you posted on a Canadian settling in the UK and see if I can offer any tips!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

WOW this is another great encouraging story !!!!!
I love it when i read things like this
Yes i think it would be the simple things in life that would make us happy too.Fish and chips wrapped in paper and taking it down tothe beach to eat.Going to the garden centre in Ambleside,Windermere,Keswick,a cheap sunny holiday on the beach,having friends and family round and a nice pub meal.Can't wait !!!!
We are just strugglling now with our decision to sell or rent our home here in Canada,and to rent over there for now,then sell when the time is right.Just dont know what to do !!!!!
But never the less what ever we decide,i cant wait to go HOME
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 7:51 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke to some of our friends back in Somerset last night on Skype, 40 minutes for free, love it. Anyway I was asking them how things were going generally and to be honest they said that nothing had changed for them in the last few years, they don't spend any less and still go on a couple of overseas holidays every year. They did say that the media concentrate on the negatives but most people only get to see the positives.
From what I saw only a couple of months ago there is nothing to stop us going back. What you have to remember is that those people leaving the UK to come here are going to want to see as many negatives as they can about the country they are leaving.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:03 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Gill123, so glad you made it back. I bet you appreciate everything so much more now that you've been away.

H

Ah the good old British optimism!

I'm in America and the economy is worse than that, so no worries there. Hope you're right about house prices though - that would be a big bonus for me when I get back.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jan 22nd 2011 at 8:05 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:04 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Top rate of income tax is now 50% - that's disastrous ... for anyone earning over £150,000. Sorry, I can't get too excited about that as a harbinger of doom, that's just a world away from most people's salary.
Plus it's only on the whatever they earn over £150K, not on the whole amount. Poor them! The world will end!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:08 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chris955
I spoke to some of our friends back in Somerset last night on Skype, 40 minutes for free, love it. Anyway I was asking them how things were going generally and to be honest they said that nothing had changed for them in the last few years, they don't spend any less and still go on a couple of overseas holidays every year. They did say that the media concentrate on the negatives but most people only get to see the positives.
From what I saw only a couple of months ago there is nothing to stop us going back. What you have to remember is that those people leaving the UK to come here are going to want to see as many negatives as they can about the country they are leaving.
Isn't there a saying, 'There is no reality, only perspective'?
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:09 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly here in Australia the highest rate is 45% and cuts in above $180,000, I wonder if the poster considers this disastrous as well ? Some one earning big money is actually better off in the UK it seems.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:10 pm
Banned

Yes that does seem to be the case.

Isn't there a saying, 'There is no reality, only perspective'?
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:13 pm
Lost in Space

Everywhere other than the UK is Shangri La apparently! DRIVES ME NUTS.

If I remain in the villages local to my home I see little to no litter, never hear swearing, people are LOVELY and sincere. If I go into Manchester city or Stockport I hear more swearing than I ever did in Canada.

In the future we won't bother going to either of those places and do our shopping on line and/or in Buxton or Glossop. I think you shape the life you want and you can have an amazing lifestyle here.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:20 pm
Banned

A poster on a different forum recently posted that the UK was dirty and everything was vandalised, I had to comment that he was surely talking about a different UK than the one I was recently in. To be fair to these people I think recent immigrants or those leaving the UK in the very near future only want to see the negatives as it makes them feel better about what they are doing. They will also criticise something in the UK but accept the exact same thing in their new country, it's a coping mechanism.
I did find Doncaster to be pretty dirty when I went up there but generally down south it was no different to this area.

Everywhere other than the UK is Shangri La apparently! DRIVES ME NUTS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.