Back For 4 Weeks Now

Old Apr 7th 2006, 8:47 am
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all
Default Back For 4 Weeks Now

Hello all. Chance To Be asked me to start a new thread about my experience of being back home for 4 weeks, so here goes.

Unfortunately, my OH still hasn't managed to find employment yet (I stay at home looking after our daughter) but some of that is because he is looking for a new start. He was with the same company for 16 years and now he has made the break, after emigrating to Canada, he is looking for a new industry to work in. He has had several interviews so we are very hopeful.

Until he gets a job, we can't get a mortgage. This is a bit of a problem because we obviously want to find our own place and start settling down again. However, we have been around the estate agents and know whats on the market.

We're having a bit of trouble with Customs getting our stuff shipped back. Because we were only in Canada for 8 months we have to pay tax on the items we are bringing back with us. We're a bit annoyed about it because we were told in Canada to put a small note with our paperwork to say we intended to live in Canada but for personal reasons are moving back and we'd be ok - now Customs want over £400 off us :scared: !!!

Those are the only "bad" points. We love being back in the UK around everyone we love and our 2 year old daughter is much happier here being able to see her grandparents and aunts and uncles. We know moving back here was the right thing for us to do. We would never have settled in Canada, but we are glad we had the chance to experience it and it has definately made us appreciate the UK alot more.

Sorry, this post seems to have gone on a bit!! We're off to the beautiful Yorkshire Dales this weekend and can't wait - this is one thing we've missed being away!

Good luck to all of you out there.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back For 4 Weeks Now

Originally Posted by JoD
Hello all. Chance To Be asked me to start a new thread about my experience of being back home for 4 weeks, so here goes.

Unfortunately, my OH still hasn't managed to find employment yet (I stay at home looking after our daughter) but some of that is because he is looking for a new start. He was with the same company for 16 years and now he has made the break, after emigrating to Canada, he is looking for a new industry to work in. He has had several interviews so we are very hopeful.

Until he gets a job, we can't get a mortgage. This is a bit of a problem because we obviously want to find our own place and start settling down again. However, we have been around the estate agents and know whats on the market.

We're having a bit of trouble with Customs getting our stuff shipped back. Because we were only in Canada for 8 months we have to pay tax on the items we are bringing back with us. We're a bit annoyed about it because we were told in Canada to put a small note with our paperwork to say we intended to live in Canada but for personal reasons are moving back and we'd be ok - now Customs want over £400 off us :scared: !!!

Those are the only "bad" points. We love being back in the UK around everyone we love and our 2 year old daughter is much happier here being able to see her grandparents and aunts and uncles. We know moving back here was the right thing for us to do. We would never have settled in Canada, but we are glad we had the chance to experience it and it has definately made us appreciate the UK alot more.

Sorry, this post seems to have gone on a bit!! We're off to the beautiful Yorkshire Dales this weekend and can't wait - this is one thing we've missed being away!

im glad you are happy.it must be a relief to return somewhere and feel sure you've done the right thing going home.
good luck!
c
Old Apr 7th 2006, 9:35 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoD

Welcome back....hope you find happiness wherever you are.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 12:40 am
Stuck in time!

Ozwells has a brilliant futureOzwells has a brilliant futureOzwells has a brilliant futureOzwells has a brilliant futureOzwells has a brilliant futureOzwells has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JoD

Good to hear you post, and glad you are happy to be back. We return to good old GREAT Britain next week, emotionally up and down at the moment. Since being away, it's made us really appreciate the UK and miss alot of the things we took for granted, as well as family and friends. But then at the same token we think should we stay in Oz, see if our feelings change, etc. Really does my head in all these decisions!!! I hope, like you, once we are back on the green green grass of home (not reticulated!) it'll confirm our decision and these decision demons can get out of my head once and for all!!! Enjoy!
Old Apr 8th 2006, 2:41 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck JoD.
Hope all goes well and the job thing gets sorted soon as possible.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 2:13 pm
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ozwells
Good to hear you post, and glad you are happy to be back. We return to good old GREAT Britain next week, emotionally up and down at the moment. Since being away, it's made us really appreciate the UK and miss alot of the things we took for granted, as well as family and friends. But then at the same token we think should we stay in Oz, see if our feelings change, etc. Really does my head in all these decisions!!! I hope, like you, once we are back on the green green grass of home (not reticulated!) it'll confirm our decision and these decision demons can get out of my head once and for all!!! Enjoy!
I'm sure you'll be fine. We've just come back from a weekend in the Yorkshire Dales and it was wonderful. It's so good to be back home.

Good luck.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

high.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nice

Originally Posted by JoD

Welcome back. As someone contemplating the move, why did you return? What was different than you expected. Apologies if you've convered this elsewhere. Hope things work out for you back in the UK.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 2:34 pm
JoD
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by high.rise
Welcome back. As someone contemplating the move, why did you return? What was different than you expected. Apologies if you've convered this elsewhere. Hope things work out for you back in the UK.
Hi. Yes this has been covered before so I won't bore others with the details - I have sent you a PM regarding this.