Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Back 4 months after 16years in Canada

Back 4 months after 16years in Canada

Old Jun 1st 2013, 3:24 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back 4 months after 16years in Canada

Originally Posted by Editha
I kind of have one foot in Canada and one in the UK, because although I'm living in Canada for another year, I also own property in the UK and have spenta couple of months each year there since we came to Canada in 2006.

The British housebuying process is maddeningly slow and uncertain compared with Canada, and I speak as a retired UK solicitor. In my experience, it's not just lawyers, but estate agents and mortgage brokers/lenders who move at the pace of a snail, with the added frustration that until contracts are exchanged, the parties are not legally bound to complete the sale/purchase, and you are spending money on a survey, solicitor's fees etc, knowing the whole deal could fall through at any time.

The money laundering regulations apply to most financial transactions nowadays, and apply to everybody. Generally, you have to produce ID documents, or certified copies.

We've just sold our house in Canada. We're going to move into rented accommodation for our last year here. We are in the process of buying a house in Devon in advance of returning next year.
May I take it you have already sussed out a top notch hairdresser in dear old Devon. It would be a travesty if you had the same heartache that you had in Edmonton. Perish the thought !
Old Jun 1st 2013, 3:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paws3
Thanks for the replies!
Buying the house was very slow. We were told 4-6 weeks and it was a struggle to get things done by 8 weeks (with constant nagging). As others have pointed out, both parties can drop out at any time so it is very nerve wracking. And on the money side, bring ALL paperwork in hard copy (internet statements are NOT accepted) and have it with you. You will have to provide a complete paper trail for ANY cash from when received (salary etc).
Yes we did use HSBC which had both Canadian and UK accounts. I guess this helped a bit but we still needed a very nice obliging Bank Manager this end to sort out a lot of queries and to countersign reams of paperwork.

Now I have stopped working it is amazing how much time I have to do things I love (gardening, cooking I am even baking bread!)

Canadian husband is getting settled slowly. My answer to his major anti-UK moans is basically I suffered Canada for 16 years but as now his parents have died and he is retired (2 major reasons we moved to Canada) he will have to do the same here! (actually I think he quite likes it but he just likes to moan..

More later
Buying a house in the UK can be done quickly...I had the keys in my hand just short of 3 weeks. It all depends on how you are paying for the house and your solicitor. All I had to do was to produce a notorised copy of my passport...this is now required by UK law. As far as money is concerned...I paid the deposit...the balance was paid in cash from my Nat West Bank account.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 2:41 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Buying a house in the UK can be done quickly...I had the keys in my hand just short of 3 weeks. It all depends on how you are paying for the house and your solicitor. All I had to do was to produce a notorised copy of my passport...this is now required by UK law. As far as money is concerned...I paid the deposit...the balance was paid in cash from my Nat West Bank account.
Did you have to have any proof of where the money came from? Did you have to produce the house sale papers from the US? Just so they knew you weren't money laundering.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 2:43 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

3 weeks must be something like a record for the UK. The average is 11 to 12 weeks.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 2:47 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Notarised copy of passport and another document, e.g. utility bill, surely?
Old Jun 1st 2013, 2:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Did you have to have any proof of where the money came from? Did you have to produce the house sale papers from the US? Just so they knew you weren't money laundering.
The money didn't come from a house sale...but the source was easily traceable. No questions were asked anyway.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 2:53 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
May I take it you have already sussed out a top notch hairdresser in dear old Devon. It would be a travesty if you had the same heartache that you had in Edmonton. Perish the thought !
???? Are you stalking me or something? Creepy.