British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Back 20 months (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/back-20-months-794876/)

Cumbrian Lass Apr 23rd 2013 7:00 am

Back 20 months

Hi everyone

Have'nt been on here very much over the past few months,but just thought i would give you an up-date on where we are at at the moment.

I must be honest after the 10yrs in Alberta it was a scary thought of moving back over the pond,although Alberta never felt like home. We had a fantastic home over there which really held my heart,as it was our dream home and i knew we could never afford the same back here in the lake district. We have rented since we came back as we had'nt sold our home over there until yesterday :amen: Before we sold it was a bit unsettling because when the going got tough we could just say "lets go back" (but there was a reason why we came back to the UK in the first place). So now we can put our roots down where our hearts really are,and that is the wonderful UK.

It was a difficult 12 months for our teenager,but after a change of schools he has settled down well.

I love being able to go out walking in the peek district all year round. In AB we were looking out of the window for 6 months of the year :( (hated that). We have also had so many lovely holidays since we came back and generally life is good. The UK for us has a true sense of HOME....some thing we never had while living in Canada. We are so glad we did it and tried some where new,but the UK has many qualities and beautiful places to visit,and the English and second to none. So glad to call this HOME again :thumbsup:
Now we can buy a house and settle down once and for all :eek:

Lorry1 Apr 23rd 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Back 20 months

Hi Cumbrian Lass,

I'm glad you are all settling well in England :)
Can I ask, your house in Alberta, you only just sold it? Did you sell it empty or leave some furniture in it?
We have our house on the market but houses are just not selling here at the moment. We may have to leave it to sell when we're gone but are really stressed about that prospect.
My hubby still hasn't got a contract for the job in London yet and if we don't sell the house too we are totally screwed with getting a house in England. He is meant to hand in his notice here next week but can't do that if he has no contract.
Am hoping everything will fall into place very soon. We have until end June and then we're off!

cheeky_monkey Apr 23rd 2013 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass (Post 10673461)
Hi everyone

Have'nt been on here very much over the past few months,but just thought i would give you an up-date on where we are at at the moment.

I must be honest after the 10yrs in Alberta it was a scary thought of moving back over the pond,although Alberta never felt like home. We had a fantastic home over there which really held my heart,as it was our dream home and i knew we could never afford the same back here in the lake district. We have rented since we came back as we had'nt sold our home over there until yesterday :amen: Before we sold it was a bit unsettling because when the going got tough we could just say "lets go back" (but there was a reason why we came back to the UK in the first place). So now we can put our roots down where our hearts really are,and that is the wonderful UK.

It was a difficult 12 months for our teenager,but after a change of schools he has settled down well.

I love being able to go out walking in the peek district all year round. In AB we were looking out of the window for 6 months of the year :( (hated that). We have also had so many lovely holidays since we came back and generally life is good. The UK for us has a true sense of HOME....some thing we never had while living in Canada. We are so glad we did it and tried some where new,but the UK has many qualities and beautiful places to visit,and the English and second to none. So glad to call this HOME again :thumbsup:

yes looking out the window for 6 months:thumbdown:or 7 months this winter..have had snow on the ground since the 2nd October and its still there:frown:

fulwood Apr 23rd 2013 4:48 pm

Cumbrian lass - I remember you very well. Astounded yet again at how time flies and that you've been back nearly 2 years.. I am glad it is going well for you.

Perth Apr 23rd 2013 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 10674063)
yes looking out the window for 6 months:thumbdown:or 7 months this winter..have had snow on the ground since the 2nd October and its still there:frown:

Usually confined indoors for 9 months out of the year here in Florida :sneaky::thumbdown::frown:

Perth Apr 23rd 2013 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass (Post 10673461)
Hi everyone

Thank you so much for that uplifting update! It is good to know it is not all gloom and doom over there :lol:

Cumbrian Lass Apr 23rd 2013 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 10674501)
Cumbrian lass - I remember you very well. Astounded yet again at how time flies and that you've been back nearly 2 years.. I am glad it is going well for you.

Thank you fulwood .........yeah i know i cannot believe we have been back this long. Its unrealy how the time flies by.
Are you back in the UK ?

Cumbrian Lass Apr 23rd 2013 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10674519)
Thank you so much for that uplifting update! It is good to know it is not all gloom and doom over there :lol:

I believe the UK has lots of fantastic things to offer. It also helps alot if you live in a nice area. I feel i am living again now i am back.I felt my life was on hold While i was in Alberta :thumbsup:

fulwood Apr 23rd 2013 8:04 pm

Not in UK yet but will be in next few months. I have a lease on apartment so have to wait for that, also want to save wee bit more money. When I visit this time I'll be there for 3-4 months. I have plenty of people I can stay with. So glad things worked out well for you..Part of the time I'll be in the Preston area but most of my time will be in Scotland.

NZ4Now Apr 23rd 2013 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass (Post 10674820)
I believe the UK has lots of fantastic things to offer. It also helps alot if you live in a nice area. I feel i am living again now i am back.I felt my life was on hold While i was in Alberta :thumbsup:

OMG that is exactly how I feel about being here in NZ that my life has been on hold fo rnealry 6 years!! :(

So glad to read your post and see that you are happy and settled:thumbsup:

Derrygal Apr 23rd 2013 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 10674857)
Not in UK yet but will be in next few months. I have a lease on apartment so have to wait for that, also want to save wee bit more money. When I visit this time I'll be there for 3-4 months. I have plenty of people I can stay with. So glad things worked out well for you..Part of the time I'll be in the Preston area but most of my time will be in Scotland.

I'm so glad that you are able to go back home for 3 - 4 months. You really deserve it!! Have a wonderful time!! :)

Cumbrian Lass Apr 24th 2013 9:19 am

Originally Posted by NZ4Now (Post 10674910)
OMG that is exactly how I feel about being here in NZ that my life has been on hold fo rnealry 6 years!! :(

So glad to read your post and see that you are happy and settled:thumbsup:

Yeah and to tell you the truth i have only been back 20 months,but i can hardly remember much at all about my 10 yrs on Canada. I think that tells me some thing !!! :confused: that there really was'nt much to remember maybe ??? I dont know, but although i dont regret going,i know my home is in the UK. I am now ME AGAIN and laughing and smiling once again :thumbsup:

Cumbrian Lass Apr 24th 2013 9:22 am

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 10674857)

Oh i bet your excited eh? :thumbsup:

fulwood Apr 24th 2013 5:05 pm

Yes I am very excited but have to hold my horses a wee while longer. I will have to suffer in Arizona for a few more months. I want to get myself in financial position so that have enough money to stay in UK for that long, pay pet sitter fees for my dog for 3-4 months, enough money to pay dratted student loans so i will likely not go until Spring of next year. But that is fine as I can't believe it is four months since my brother died. Also reading WhoFan updates it is making me homesick and determined that nothing will get in my way and that I will take this trip. Looking at going around early March timeframe which really is not that far away. Miss Betty has been counting down for ages and she is nearly home!

lf1 Apr 25th 2013 7:38 am

Cumbrian Lass, I am so pleased to hear that things are going well for you and your family and that you have sold your house in Ab. We have been back since August and I can honestly say that I seldom think of my life in Alberta.

On a very important note, I hope you found a hairdresser. I did and she got the colour right, which is a relief. How shallow am I?:lol: