Avoiding double taxation

Old Jul 10th 2020, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Admiral Byng is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Avoiding double taxation

I'm looking into returning to the UK next year. Currently, I'm in Canada and retired. I receive a state pension from the UK that is not taxed there; I declare it in Canada and pay Canadian tax on it. When I return to the UK the situation will be slightly different. I will have income from a retirement account and an ex-employer in Canada. At the moment, they withhold Canadian tax on the payments. When I return to the UK, I assume they will continue to do this. If I declare it as income in the UK, it will be taxed there too. How do I avoid having the same money taxed in both countries? Thanks. (My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. Understandable answers most welcome; I've researched Revenue Canada's site and it's making my head spin!)
Old Jul 11th 2020, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Avoiding double taxation

I don't know the exact answer but you should not be taxed twice.

https://www.expertsforexpats.com/exp...ing-in-the-uk/
Canadians living in the UK will typically be taxed by the UK tax authority, HMRC, on their worldwide income and gains – including those made in Canada on investments and property that are still in Canada. The Canadian government applies a withholding tax to some forms of income, like dividends and rent received on property.

Usually these withholding taxes can be offset against one’s UK tax liability so that, in effect, the net tax paid is equal to the usual UK tax rates. In other words, you shouldn’t have to pay extra tax on your Canadian investments simply because they are located in Canada.

It is, however, extremely important that the necessary filings are made with both the Canadian and UK tax authorities to ensure you pay the correct amount of tax without overpaying.
https://retirehappy.ca/canadian-non-...rement-income/

Pensions

Non-residency generally won’t impact your entitlement to a private workplace pension.

Pension income paid to a non-resident of Canada is subject to a non-resident withholding tax that is 25% by default. Many countries have tax treaties with Canada that reduce the withholding tax rate – commonly to 15% tax.

This doesn’t mean that you must file a Canadian tax return. Withholding tax is generally your only tax obligation to Canada as a non-resident.

It’s important to understand the tax implications of the country where you reside. Withholding tax at source in Canada will often be credited towards tax payable in your country of residence.

Old Jul 11th 2020, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Admiral Byng is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the web site and advice. Looks like I need an expert to get it right. Thanks again.
Old Jul 11th 2020, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Admiral Byng
Thanks for the web site and advice. Looks like I need an expert to get it right. Thanks again.
You're welcome

We are in a similar position, living in England with US pensions as foreign income and mandatory withholdings from US pensions that we have to get zero'ed out with foreign tax credits each year. (UK taxes on the pensions are higher than the US taxes which is why the credits reduce the US taxes to zero)