Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Avoiding car insurance rip-off on returning to U.K.

Avoiding car insurance rip-off on returning to U.K.

Old Aug 21st 2005, 5:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Avoiding car insurance rip-off on returning to U.K.

Here was my experience last time I went back to the U.K.:

My brother called several car insurance companies before I returned, to see which ones would give me no claims for my 20+ years of trouble-free driving (some of which was in the U.K., but mostly in the U.S. and Bahamas). Many companies didn't seem to give a toss but the AA said sure, just bring evidence of your no claims.

In reality, the AA premium ended up being ridiculously high. The explanation was that, yes, they had given me full no-claims, but for my first year my premiums were set high because I had been driving utside the UK and therefore presumably was a higher risk driver. They said my premiums would go down to a "normal" level once I'd been driving in the UK for a year.

Has anyone else had this experience, or have any advice for finding reasonable car insurance as a returning ex-pat?
Old Aug 21st 2005, 7:14 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Avoiding car insurance rip-off on returning to U.K.

Originally Posted by dunroving

My brother called several car insurance companies before I returned, to see which ones would give me no claims for my 20+ years of trouble-free driving (some of which was in the U.K., but mostly in the U.S. and Bahamas). Many companies didn't seem to give a toss but the AA said sure, just bring evidence of your no claims.

In reality, the AA premium ended up being ridiculously high. The explanation was that, yes, they had given me full no-claims, but for my first year my premiums were set high because I had been driving utside the UK and therefore presumably was a higher risk driver. They said my premiums would go down to a "normal" level once I'd been driving in the UK for a year.

Has anyone else had this experience, or have any advice for finding reasonable car insurance as a returning ex-pat?

Looking through the following thread from US expats moving to the UK, it seems that your best bet is to speak with an insurance rep direct (or an insurance broker) rather than filling in online applications with Direct Line etc. Someone has had a good experience with motor insurance offered by Tesco:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=7137.0
Old Aug 21st 2005, 7:29 pm
ags
Forum Regular

ags is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Avoiding car insurance rip-off on returning to U.K.

Hi DR, my husband had the same trouble when we returned to the UK after having been abroad fro 11 yrs. Mind you this was 10 yrs ago so maybe things somewhere have changed. He had an absolutely clean licence since passing his test at 18 in the UK. No accidents abroad either, but when we returned and at age 38 had to cough up the highest premiums. Had no luck arguing the point and had to go with it even though it was just an ordinary saloon car, nothing fancy. Premiums were much of a muchness even after a couple of years as everything increases anyway.
Hope you sort something out.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 8:02 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Looking through the following thread from US expats moving to the UK, it seems that your best bet is to speak with an insurance rep direct (or an insurance broker) rather than filling in online applications with Direct Line etc. Someone has had a good experience with motor insurance offered by Tesco:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=7137.0
Thanks, EM. Surprising that some of those US expats got some pretty decent premiums. I've saved that page for future use.

Actually, next time around I'll have the advantage of free calls to the UK (Lingo.com) so maybe that's what I'll do. I also now have online Yellow Pages, etc., to find numbers of various brokers.

Last time, I had my brother call around as US calls were for me (at that time) expensive. Also, by the time I realized the actual quote was ridiculously high it was too late (as I literally bought a car within 24 hrs of getting home and needed to be able to drive it up to Glasgow straight away).

Still a good 9 months from going home (H-1 expires next May) but figure it's never too early to start planning (plus it's fun to start looking ahead at being home again). Just the small consideration of finding a job first, of course.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

immunise is on a distinguished road

Thanks, EM. Surprising that some of those US expats got some pretty decent premiums. I've saved that page for future use.

Actually, next time around I'll have the advantage of free calls to the UK (Lingo.com) so maybe that's what I'll do. I also now have online Yellow Pages, etc., to find numbers of various brokers.

Last time, I had my brother call around as US calls were for me (at that time) expensive. Also, by the time I realized the actual quote was ridiculously high it was too late (as I literally bought a car within 24 hrs of getting home and needed to be able to drive it up to Glasgow straight away).

Still a good 9 months from going home (H-1 expires next May) but figure it's never too early to start planning (plus it's fun to start looking ahead at being home again). Just the small consideration of finding a job first, of course.

I went to directline.com and was quoted around 400 quid fully comp, thats 100 less than when I left two years ago!

I think it helps that I am still registered to vote at my parents house and all my bills (CC etc) go there still...essentially it's like I never left!
Old Aug 21st 2005, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

1. There are 20 insurance bands: pick a car in a low band initially, get the Ferrari after a couple of years
2. Have the car parked the car in a garage, or at least off-road. On-road has a big premium.
3. Your postcode affects your rate: bad crime area=much higher premiums
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 12:35 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Storini
1. There are 20 insurance bands: pick a car in a low band initially, get the Ferrari after a couple of years
2. Have the car parked the car in a garage, or at least off-road. On-road has a big premium.
3. Your postcode affects your rate: bad crime area=much higher premiums
Yep, thanks for the suggestions but I had a boring Vauxhall Astra, parked off-road in a low-crime village.

My problem last time was more to do with my re-pat status than anything to do with the typical high-premium factors. And I've never, ever had an accident or insurance claim for the almost 30 years I've been driving.

And driving a Ferrari is a problem I'll never have
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 8:17 am
Banned

IN THE YEAR 2525 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, thanks for the suggestions but I had a boring Vauxhall Astra, parked off-road in a low-crime village.

My problem last time was more to do with my re-pat status than anything to do with the typical high-premium factors. And I've never, ever had an accident or insurance claim for the almost 30 years I've been driving.

And driving a Ferrari is a problem I'll never have
I recently purchased a VW Passat of Ebay for 250 quid,it also had 1 years MOT and 6 months tax which is besides the point,but I went to the local insurance office and gave them all the details,she did ask where I was going to keep the car I was advised to tell them it was going to be garaged[I always keep it on the street which is in low crime area anyway,I gave them evidence of safe driving etc and she made a call to Nationwide,she then did a couple of things on the computer and said I can give you a fully comp policy for 160 quid,I said is that per year and she said yes.................couldnt believe it..........I then went and bought a Renault clio off Ebay cost 90 quid and the insurance was about 120 quid for the year............Nationwide again.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby and I both got our full no claims on return to the UK. All we had was a letter from the US insurance company stating our no claims. Had a Renault Laguna 1996. Fully comp was £320 with Swinton.
I now have a Chrysler voyager 2001... Fully comp, protected no claims, windscreen cover, courtesy car etc for £440 with More Than insurance.

Online applications are not worth it. Our first one we went into their office, the second one I just called.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Sally Wilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Avoiding car insurance rip-off on returning to U.K.

Hi there,
I returned to the UK some 8 years ago now, having lived in Toronto for 17 yrs. I contacted Dial Direct, and had no problem. Quick and efficient service, and cheaper insurance. Phone no. 0870 1609661. Hope this works for you.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 11:01 am
Just Joined

stevenroberton is an unknown quantity at this point

If you no longer hold a UK driver's licence, go and get one. When I returned from Germany this year, I was quoted extortionate amounts despite my unblemished no-claims bonus, but the premium sank by up to £150 if I claimed to have a UK licence instead of a German one. So I paid a small fee to exchange my German licence for a British one and saved an awful lot of money.