Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Arrived just over 2 weeks ago

Arrived just over 2 weeks ago

Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Guinness is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arrived just over 2 weeks ago

Well I thought that I would post my update !! My partner and I along with 2 cats and 2 dogs moved to Skipton North Yorkshire from Toronto 2 and a half weeks ago. Neither of us are from here, i am originally from N.Ireland and my partner has spent her whole life in Canada.
We are renting a house right behind the Tempest Arms in Elslack, we were really worried about what our neighbours were going to be like. As we had amazing neighbours in Toronto. We introduced ourselves to them and they are amazing people. One has lived here for 50 years and the other one for 30, they just love to talk it is great! Our goal was to try and get some sort of part time Christmas work, my partner landed a entry level kitchen job at the Tempest Arms and i have had some promising interviews.
I think that we have both set our job expectations very low as we knew that this was going to be a huge challenge. I do miss my friends very much but when I look out the door and go for a hike I realize that this so far was all worth it. Yorkshire is such a beautiful place and the people here are so friendly and helpful.
Good luck to everyone who has moved or is about to!
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of
Default Re: Arrived just over 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the post which is an encouragement to th erest of us following in your footsteps.

So you live next door to a pub and one of you has got work in said pub. What a great result!

We used to live about 100 metres from a pub and a wine bar/restaurant in South Wales, in a village with about another ten pubs in easy walking distance. We've moved a few times since then, but that was one of my favourites!

Maybe that's one of the requirements for a succesful move (on another thread): live near a pub!
Old Nov 9th 2011, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Congrats on the move! Thanks for posting it sounds like things are going quite well. Look forward to hearing more
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear all is going well. I have been back 9 weeks and have found everyone very friendly. Good luck to you both and the pets!
Old Nov 14th 2011, 12:51 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guinness
Well I thought that I would post my update !! My partner and I along with 2 cats and 2 dogs moved to Skipton North Yorkshire from Toronto 2 and a half weeks ago. Neither of us are from here, i am originally from N.Ireland and my partner has spent her whole life in Canada.
We are renting a house right behind the Tempest Arms in Elslack, we were really worried about what our neighbours were going to be like. As we had amazing neighbours in Toronto. We introduced ourselves to them and they are amazing people. One has lived here for 50 years and the other one for 30, they just love to talk it is great! Our goal was to try and get some sort of part time Christmas work, my partner landed a entry level kitchen job at the Tempest Arms and i have had some promising interviews.
I think that we have both set our job expectations very low as we knew that this was going to be a huge challenge. I do miss my friends very much but when I look out the door and go for a hike I realize that this so far was all worth it. Yorkshire is such a beautiful place and the people here are so friendly and helpful.
Good luck to everyone who has moved or is about to!
You are in such a brilliant area. I envy you as it would be ideal for me because some of my best friends are in Shipley and Saltaire. I took a quick look on Google Streetview and got very envious of your walks among those green fields and the sheep. And just a short drive and you can be in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales.

Good luck with the part-time jobs and with settling in.