Wikiposts

Appreciating Britain.

Old Sep 8th 2012, 9:07 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Appreciating Britain.

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Where I live in the UK it's the same, there is never any problems with anything, no fear of crime, but like you say if you read the local paper there's all sorts of crimes being committed, but I have never felt I would fall victim to crime TBH.
Sounds like my part of the US. Just don't read the papers.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 9:45 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Sounds like my part of the US. Just don't read the papers.

Where I live is lovely, but there's always really rough areas not far away and they tend to commit most of the crime on each other, especially the violent crime, which is usually related to drugs, I tried to set up a neighbourhood watch on our estate a few years back and when i contacted the police, they said there was less than 1% recorded crime in our area, so I didn't bother.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 9:51 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Where I live is lovely, but there's always really rough areas not far away and they tend to commit most of the crime on each other, especially the violent crime, which is usually related to drugs, I tried to set up a neighbourhood watch on our estate a few years back and when i contacted the police, they said there was less than 1% recorded crime in our area, so I didn't bother.
Yes. A common response in many suburban areas, one part nearly crime free, another just a short distance away you need bars on your windows.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
But I didn't claim that did I? Nor has anyone else.

All we are doing is giving you our experiences - actual experiences, not stats or things gleaned from the papers, or from our memory banks.

Back in America, I lived in a lovely little town near Manhattan. You could walk out at night without any fear, the streets were always spotlessly clean, the people nodded hello as they passed by. We often went out without locking our doors (by accident) and never had a burglary. And yet, whenever I saw the local paper, I was shocked. Over just the last few years there was a bank robber on the loose for a few months - he had held up the 3 local banks at gunpoint. The body of a teenage girl was found in town one morning just laying in the middle of the road. The owner of a local landscape company was found shot dead behind some shops just up the road.

I usually didn't read the paper, so I was unaware of all this. And if you had asked me about the town, I would have said it was a lovely place to live (still would).

Point is there is crime everywhere - even the 'nice' towns. But unless you live in a particularly crime-ridden place, it doesn't intrude on your every day life, no matter what the Daily Mail says.
We're getting into semantics again. Let's not go there.

I linked to a police report not a newspaper headline. Something Chris955 should have done instead of cherry picking favourable months to highlight his choice of location.

My 'beef' is about the lack of balance in this part of the forum and the way those who have had negative experiences about their return or link to articles, statistics etc. about the U.K. are shot down with one liners with no substance nor reasoned debate.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
But I didn't claim that did I? Nor has anyone else.

All we are doing is giving you our experiences - actual experiences, not stats or things gleaned from the papers, or from our memory banks.

Back in America, I lived in a lovely little town near Manhattan. You could walk out at night without any fear, the streets were always spotlessly clean, the people nodded hello as they passed by. We often went out without locking our doors (by accident) and never had a burglary. And yet, whenever I saw the local paper, I was shocked. Over just the last few years there was a bank robber on the loose for a few months - he had held up the 3 local banks at gunpoint. The body of a teenage girl was found in town one morning just laying in the middle of the road. The owner of a local landscape company was found shot dead behind some shops just up the road.

I usually didn't read the paper, so I was unaware of all this. And if you had asked me about the town, I would have said it was a lovely place to live (still would).

Point is there is crime everywhere - even the 'nice' towns. But unless you live in a particularly crime-ridden place, it doesn't intrude on your every day life, no matter what the Daily Mail says.

Exactly the same here, I live in Las Vegas. A couple of months ago there was a murder everyday for a week and there is at least one to two a week here. Being Las Vegas drugs and crime are here and many other crimes are commited everyday. There are areas of the city I wouldn't go out a night.

But where I live is clean and I have yet to see any type of crime, so when I talk about my experience you would think Las Vegas was the safest place ever. But I believe people are inteligent enough to know that there is more to Las Vegas that the area and life I live here.

Also, this forum actually counteracts the stats, Daily Mail and off the cuff negative comments (e.g US politicians NHS) that make out the UK to be a dangerous, dirty country full of chavs on the dole, where you will die if you use the NHS.

So when you say a balanced view of the country, I strongly believe that this forum contributes to that.

There are negative experiences put on here by people, but you will find that its quiet hard for that thread to keep going as the only thing most people can say is 'we are sorry and we hope things get better'.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
There are negative experiences put on here by people, but you will find that its quiet hard for that thread to keep going as the only thing most people can say is 'we are sorry and we hope things get better'.
Occasionally that's true, but I could quite easily list a set of quotes that are ad hominem, including one of yours.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Occasionally that's true, but I could quite easily list a set of quotes that are ad hominem, including one of yours.
Bud I'm getting the impression you are a 'glass half empty' person rather that a 'glass half full' type

I only post my experiences and feeling on things, as I see them. I don't spend weeks thinking my post through. I would never intentionally lie and mis inform anyone.

You don't seem to get the peoples experiences are individual.

I can't be bothered to look through you old posts but everytime I read one of yours you aren't really giving any help or even asking a question, just pulling apart other peoples posts.

I'm beginning to think you are just a really good troll who likes to irritate people but not go to far as to p**s them off completely.

I apologise if your not.

Gosh I've just reread my post 3 times, trying to find something you will moan about, never done that before.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
Bud I'm getting the impression you are a 'glass half empty' person rather that a 'glass half full' type

I only post my experiences and feeling on things, as I see them. I don't spend weeks thinking my post through. I would never intentionally lie and mis inform anyone.

You don't seem to get the peoples experiences are individual.

I can't be bothered to look through you old posts but everytime I read one of yours you aren't really giving any help or even asking a question, just pulling apart other peoples posts.

I'm beginning to think you are just a really good troll who likes to irritate people but not go to far as to p**s them off completely.

I apologise if your not.

Gosh I've just reread my post 3 times, trying to find something you will moan about, never done that before.
Well, that's a first, being called a name and receiving an apology all in the same post.

You say I am not giving any help, yet you've started a really good thread on the NHS where you've acknowledged the need for a more balanced view. Perhaps by highlighting the need for different views to be given a fair hearing I've done my little bit to create that balance and an opportunity for those who had different experiences to be able to come forward and post without the fear of being chastised or, dare I say, being called a troll. This in turn would give readers a wider variety of experiences and opinions to evaluate.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I have found these posts here very balanced. I for one am using this forum to glean information before we return. I also find a lot of kindred spirits here

A lot of good information comes out of here and maybe it is where most of my information comes from, I see nothing wrong in that. If someone has a bad experience we say sorry and move on we do not dissect it to death which is what you seem to be doing with posts by Chris and others that are positive in their views only. Any change you are a Taurus?
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by feelbritish
I have found these posts here very balanced. I for one am using this forum to glean information before we return. I also find a lot of kindred spirits here

A lot of good information comes out of here and maybe it is where most of my information comes from, I see nothing wrong in that. If someone has a bad experience we say sorry and move on we do not dissect it to death which is what you seem to be doing with posts by Chris and others that are positive in their views only. Any change you are a Taurus?
So you think it's okay for people who have a negative view about the UK to be called "arrogant self righteous knobs." ?

tsk! tsk!
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:24 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

So you think it's okay for people who have a negative view about the UK to be called "arrogant self righteous knobs." ?

tsk! tsk!
Only if the only reason they are being negative is to wind people up, or to make themselves feel better about having moved from the UK, using the negative views to try to persuade others of how right they are and how wrong the rest of the world is for not agreeing with them.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

tsk! tsk!
NO not at all, and I never said that! I read the negative views as much as the positive ones because it is how those folks are experiencing Britain and we are all in different phases in our lives. For some of us, we had to live elsewhere which is also nice to realise that back home was not so bad. In a previous post I did say that I would not like to be on a very limited budget in England, (we plan to retire so will be on a fixed budget) then I would rather be here, but then that is also personal because limited to me may be wealthy to someone else. Everyones perspective of life is different and relates to that person.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by feelbritish
NO not at all, and I never said that! I read the negative views as much as the positive ones because it is how those folks are experiencing Britain and we are all in different phases in our lives. For some of us, we had to live elsewhere which is also nice to realise that back home was not so bad. In a previous post I did say that I would not like to be on a very limited budget in England, (we plan to retire so will be on a fixed budget) then I would rather be here, but then that is also personal because limited to me may be wealthy to someone else. Everyones perspective of life is different and relates to that person.
No, but Chris955 did.

I agree with the rest of your post.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Two of the most prolific posters on this part of the forum are Sallysimmons and Chris955. Both are self-employed. Sally returned with the skill set to be able to transfer her business from the USA to the UK thus ensuring an income stream. Chris was fortunate enough to return with enough capital to be mortgage free, start his own business and buy a sit on lawnmower ( tickles me that ). Both live in very nice parts of the country. I am really pleased for them, I really am, as I am for anyone who has found happiness upon their return, whatever their circumstances.

However, I suspect that very few returnees can make it back in such favorable conditions, and whilst it’s nice to hear about beautiful countryside, country pubs and birds singing in the trees, it is just playing to what people want to hear, because most people need confirmation and reassurance that they are making the right decision to return. Hence people go all gushy and praise the positive posts and do exactly the opposite when less favorable opinions are presented.

Reality, of course, is a face slap, as those who have returned and are having a hard time will tell you. I am full of praise for those who are brave enough to post their difficulties, that takes courage. It’s so much easier to post away merrily when things are going well.

However, it’s not just about the negative posts from those who are having a difficult time. Far from it. It’s the head in the sand approach, the endless mantra, “ I don’t see it” or similar, not just regarding crime, but with the economy, the employment situation, the deficit, the strain on infrastructure and facilities, housing, pressures on the NHS, affordability, etc.

There’s more to moving back to the UK than singing the joys of a ploughman’s lunch and a pint of best bitter.

You know, this part of the forum is beginning to remind me of one of those silly high school movies where a group of girls, pretty but plastic, popular yet pretentious, gang up on anyone who dares to challenge their inner circle.

For now, I think I’ll sit back and watch the movie. Confident in the fact that those who are not in the clique will always attain the higher grades.

Pass the popcorn.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 10:08 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

You know, this part of the forum is beginning to remind me of one of those silly high school movies where a group of girls, pretty but plastic, popular yet pretentious, gang up on anyone who dares to challenge their inner circle.
....and you are starting to sound more and more like a troll.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.