Applying for the NHS

Old Mar 17th 2016, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

dpmacdonagh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for the NHS

I was born in the UK, but have been living in the US since I was two weeks old.

I'm moving back to the UK, flying out June 29th this year, super excited!

Before I settle down in the UK, I'm taking some of my savings and backpacking Europe for 4-6 months. I wont have a permanent residence in the UK until after I'm done backpacking, except my Uncles house in London, which I'm using as a base of operations sort of thing.

Am I eligible to sign up for the NHS without having residence, just on the fact that I'm a passport holding UK citizen? Or will I have to purchase travelers insurance for those 6 months I'm out being a bum?

Thanks!
Old Mar 17th 2016, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for the NHS

You need travel insurance for travelling around Europe. No guarantee wherever you turn up that you'll get medical cover.

You get NHS once you prove you are a resident in the UK.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 11:28 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

No, you aren't eligible based on being a UK passport holder.
That being said, even with an EHIC which is what is used around EU for reciprocal healthcare you would still have charges in some countries and for those of us who lived in the EU we still had travel insurance. Since you won't be eligible for the EHIC you should make sure that your travel insurance coverage knows this - most EU coverage would cover you for the bit that the EHIC doesn't, so you need to be clear on this when you organise the cover.

You may find that if you pay for your flights with a credit card that you get travel insurance for your trip with that .
Old Mar 20th 2016, 1:49 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said you'll need travel insurance to cover you whilst in Europe. After you become a UK resident then you'll have access to free NHS healthcare and you'll also be able to apply for a free European Healthcare Insurance Card (EHIC) that covers you for some medical treatment, usually emergency care, whilst you are travelling around Europe.

You'll need to apply for a National Insurance Number (NINO) whilst you arrive in the UK too. The closet US equivalent is a Social Security number. You'll need to provide this number to your employer when starting work.

You should also register to vote. There are several elections this summer including the EU membership referendum in June.