Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Apply for settlement visa before moving

Apply for settlement visa before moving

Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

pimpmycode is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Apply for settlement visa before moving

Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to apply for the settlement visa while my wife and I are still in SA. As the Brit citizen, if my company transfer is approved can we apply for my wife's visa in SA and leave together or do I need to be settled in the UK first?
Old Oct 14th 2011, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apply for settlement visa before moving

Originally Posted by pimpmycode
As the Brit citizen, if my company transfer is approved can we apply for my wife's visa in SA and leave together or do I need to be settled in the UK first?
Whichever way is fine, as long as your wife applies for the visa in South Africa.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 11:52 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

as long as you are intending to settle in the UK and not just a company posting, she can apply for settlement visa and as said before she must apply for this prior to her departure from SA.. She can not visit then apply from UK
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info.
The transfer would be permanent to our UK office.
It would be great if we could apply here in SA and leave together if my wife gets the visa.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my tip. Put on the application that you are arriving seperately (the UKC must be in the UK first in this case). That way if something comes up and you need to be in the UK first then it's no problem. If you put you are arriving together and something comes up that makes that not possible for you to arrive together and you don't arrive together then she could get some questions.

If you put you arriving seperately and arrive together they don't care. It at least gives you options.

We've done this twice (long story)
Old Oct 14th 2011, 6:13 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Here's my tip. Put on the application that you are arriving seperately (the UKC must be in the UK first in this case). That way if something comes up and you need to be in the UK first then it's no problem. If you put you are arriving together and something comes up that makes that not possible for you to arrive together and you don't arrive together then she could get some questions.

If you put you arriving seperately and arrive together they don't care. It at least gives you options.

We've done this twice (long story)
all seems a bit convoluted the UK citizen does not have to be in the UK first, you must be travelling together or the UK citizen have gone first. You just give a date on the form when you expected to travel . Any letter you put in can say you are returning together to settle and as long as you either go together or the UKC is there already should be OK.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
all seems a bit convoluted the UK citizen does not have to be in the UK first, you must be travelling together or the UK citizen have gone first. You just give a date on the form when you expected to travel . Any letter you put in can say you are returning together to settle and as long as you either go together or the UKC is there already should be OK.
read my post again, this time with a semlance of comprhension.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 1:52 pm
Back from India

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
read my post again, this time with a semlance of comprhension.
there is no need to be rude

So what did you mean in your post about travelling?
Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

I had a look at the application process and the online form and see there is a section for applying from outside the UK
I also see questions on a UK address. If we are both still in SA and applying from here then what do i put in the UK address questions? Maybe i'm over analysing this but i just dont want to mess up our chances.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:58 pm
Back from India

think you will find there is a spot for where you will be living address can not open the form at the moment to tell you