Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone moving back to the UK from Canada

Anyone moving back to the UK from Canada

Old Dec 7th 2004, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

weener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the rough
Default Anyone moving back to the UK from Canada

Hi

I'm currently going through the emigration process of moving to Canada from the UK, and am aware (and have seen for myself) all the great things in which Canada has to offer.
But, I haven't got much info on the bad things and why people return to the Uk (if there are any).
I'm aware it may get a little nippy in the winter, and I'm not expecting to go out there and walk straight into a job, but apart from these things is there anything else I should be aware off (apart from the taxes).???

Thanks
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moving back to the UK from Canada

Originally Posted by weener
Hi

I'm currently going through the emigration process of moving to Canada from the UK, and am aware (and have seen for myself) all the great things in which Canada has to offer.
But, I haven't got much info on the bad things and why people return to the Uk (if there are any).
I'm aware it may get a little nippy in the winter, and I'm not expecting to go out there and walk straight into a job, but apart from these things is there anything else I should be aware off (apart from the taxes).???

Thanks
Missing family/friends seems to be the main reason, followed by problems with qualifications/experience recognition. These vary from case to case.

Others just don't like the 'New World' atmosphere of Canada, or the cold in winter (an issue virtually everywhere except the west coast of BC, and it's rainy there).

Jeremy
Old Dec 7th 2004, 7:00 pm
Velouria

Hi

Thanks
I agree with Jeremy. a lot of people can't handle being away from their friends and family. and i think it only hits you when it happens. you might want to try posting this in the canada forum as there are people there who have lived in canada for a while and can give a good and bad view of the place.

every country has its problems, and none is utopia. its a matter of deciding what is right for you and yours and going on that path.

as for taxes, i believe they are lower in canada than in the uk. obviously depending on which province you intend to settle in - also depends on what kind of taxes you're talking about

good luck!

Old Dec 7th 2004, 8:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...earchid=171056

There have been a few people return over time.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 9:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Eh? This looks a lot like a "commercial post" Didnt think that was allowed?

Originally Posted by lifestyl-relocation
WHY NOT TRY THIS ONE...uk based but relocate worldwide..

SNIP.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

weener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by iaink
http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...earchid=171056

There have been a few people return over time.

HI

can you resend that link please..it didn't seem to work.
Thanks
Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:33 pm
Velouria

Originally Posted by iaink
Eh? This looks a lot like a "commercial post" Didnt think that was allowed?
he's posted that in loads of different threads... *rolls eyes*

Old Dec 8th 2004, 2:13 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

HI

can you resend that link please..it didn't seem to work.
Thanks
Sorry, not sure what happened there, you will have to generate it yourself, using the "advanced search" feature. Search for "canada" in thread titles only in the "moving back to UK" forum only. There are a few interesting threads there, so worth the effort.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 8th 2004 at 2:15 am.