British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Anyone moving back to Birmingham? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/anyone-moving-back-birmingham-701292/)

dunroving Jan 21st 2011 10:12 pm

Re: Anyone moving back to Birmingham?

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9119444)
Mmmmmm Bournville :lol:
My Mum and her family lived in Great Barr she said she wanted to live in Bournville cause the school uniforms were chocolate brown and hers wasn't
I have been to Brum since the 70's as a kid, and the bus station smelled and the bull ring scared the heck out of me. :lol: But from what I hear it's all improved.

The brown uniforms were for the "Dame-O" pupils (Dame Elizabeth Cadbury School), we wore Blue (Bournville Grammar-Tech) - or maybe you were referring to primary school (I can't remember what they wore).

I also have Great Barr connections as some of my family lived there. My dad also used to compete for Birchfield Harriers in Perry Barr (at the stadium that is now a greyhound stadium).

Yes, I remember the bus station had a pong. Mind you I think a lot of publc places like that in the UK smell because they are used as urinals on a Friday night. :thumbdown:

nwtrucker Jan 25th 2011 1:36 pm

Birmingham?......your not serious!! lol

Victor Meldrew Jan 25th 2011 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by nwtrucker (Post 9127488)
Birmingham?......your not serious!! lol

Southport? ....... you're not serious!! lol

beachgal21 Jan 25th 2011 5:02 pm

Up the Villa :thumbsup:

hayleyatfla Jan 25th 2011 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 9127656)

Yeah really i could think of worse places to be than Birmingham.....:)

nwtrucker Jan 25th 2011 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 9127656)

I know, i'd rather be in florida:thumbup:

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by nwtrucker (Post 9128166)

Have you ever lived there?

beachgal21 Jan 25th 2011 7:17 pm

Believe me, the grass always seems greener on the other side.

beachgal21 Jan 25th 2011 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by hayleyatfla (Post 9128131)
Yeah really i could think of worse places to be than Birmingham.....:)

Very true, I was born a Brummie and still have family there round the Castle Bromwich area :)

hayleyatfla Jan 25th 2011 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9128212)
Have you ever lived there?

Exactly.. people are real quick to talk about somewhere they have never lived... the grass is definatly always grener.. hahaha Florida.... i think after 20 years i have a good bit knowledge on the sunshine state...

dunroving Jan 25th 2011 7:30 pm

Orlando, by any chance?

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by hayleyatfla (Post 9128358)
Exactly.. people are real quick to talk about somewhere they have never lived... the grass is definatly always grener.. hahaha Florida.... i think after 20 years i have a good bit knowledge on the sunshine state...

I got that from this site, Hayley it will come in handy when you go home!!! :lol:

Person: Hayley, what the hell are you doing coming back here to dirty old depressing Broken Britain, when you were living the dream life in Florida, sunshine, palm trees, streets paved with gold!!

Hayley: Have you ever lived there?

Person: No.

Hayley: Well then.

Simples :thumbsup:

hayleyatfla Jan 25th 2011 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9128362)
Orlando, by any chance?

LOL.... hahaha too funny, i forgot everyone thinks its all beaches and micky mouse!

hayleyatfla Jan 25th 2011 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9128365)
I got that from this site, Hayley it will come in handy when you go home!!! :lol:

Person: Hayley, what the hell are you doing coming back here to dirty old depressing Broken Britain, when you were living the dream life in Florida, sunshine, palm trees, streets paved with gold!!

Hayley: Have you ever lived there?

Person: No.

Hayley: Well then.

Simples :thumbsup:

oh yeah, even some of my good mates have asked why I would move back.... I said , "once you have done it yourself then you can ask me".... some people just "wont" get it.... we at least have lived it (:

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by hayleyatfla (Post 9128376)
oh yeah, even some of my good mates have asked why I would move back.... I said , "once you have done it yourself then you can ask me".... some people just "wont" get it.... we at least have lived it (:

EXACTLY!! :thumbsup:

What you see on the TV shows showing the best side of everything in the USA and Australia isn't reality, just like The Daily Fail painting a grim picture of the worst of the UK isn't reality......

Walk a mile in my shoes and all that.......