British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Anyone moving back to Birmingham? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/anyone-moving-back-birmingham-701292/)

hayleyatfla Jan 19th 2011 12:10 am

Anyone moving back to Birmingham?

I am leaving the U.S after living in Florida 20 years. I have been home every year for 3-4 weeks for the past 6 years and just realise I am happy there and that is "home"... I may not stay in Birmingam but that is where I will go first since that is where I am from and my family and friends.. Some people think I am nuts for leaving the U.S to go back to the UK but all those people are in the UK and have only experienced the USA from a t.v or vacation stand point... Any how I have a very good resume or "c.v" here in property managment , running large apartment communities... what job should i look for there I as I dont think that is a huge position in the UK... Thanks and good Luck to everyone!
Cant wait to ride the number 50 bus and get the trains into London and travel our homeland... (:

dunroving Jan 19th 2011 9:02 am

Re: Anyone moving back to Birmingham?

Originally Posted by hayleyatfla (Post 9111741)
I am leaving the U.S after living in Florida 20 years. I have been home every year for 3-4 weeks for the past 6 years and just realise I am happy there and that is "home"... I may not stay in Birmingam but that is where I will go first since that is where I am from and my family and friends.. Some people think I am nuts for leaving the U.S to go back to the UK but all those people are in the UK and have only experienced the USA from a t.v or vacation stand point... Any how I have a very good resume or "c.v" here in property managment , running large apartment communities... what job should i look for there I as I dont think that is a huge position in the UK... Thanks and good Luck to everyone!
Cant wait to ride the number 50 bus and get the trains into London and travel our homeland... (:

I think that "Burrrmingham" has a lot more going for it now than when I grew up there. I have been back a couple of times over the past 4 years and was very impressed with the town centre, and overall the place didn't seem so grim as back in the 70's and 80's. It also has a main rail hub, and is within easy reach of some beautiful countryside so all in all I think you are making a good choice. The only disadvantage of Brum is that the rest of the UK thinks it should be the butt of all humour ... but that's OK, as long as they stay away you will have the place to yourself.

If my plans to go back to the US fall through, I would definitely consider moving to Brum or elsewhere in the Midlands, as I can't spend the rest of my life up here in Glasgow (no offence to any Glaswegians; each to their own).

Sorry I can't advise you on the job/career stuff, but good luck with that. (one thought: maybe look at the Council, maybe there are some jobs in council housing management ... also, I get the feeling that office development is growing in Brum as it is central for businesses - maybe look for some openings with office management? Contact the Chamber of Commerce? OK, I'm officially out of harebrained ideas!)

Beedubya Jan 19th 2011 9:23 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9112619)
I think that "Burrrmingham" has a lot more going for it now than when I grew up there. I have been back a couple of times over the past 4 years and was very impressed with the town centre, and overall the place didn't seem so grim as back in the 70's and 80's. It also has a main rail hub, and is within easy reach of some beautiful countryside so all in all I think you are making a good choice. The only disadvantage of Brum is that the rest of the UK thinks it should be the butt of all humour ... but that's OK, as long as they stay away you will have the place to yourself.

If my plans to go back to the US fall through, I would definitely consider moving to Brum or elsewhere in the Midlands, as I can't spend the rest of my life up here in Glasgow (no offence to any Glaswegians; each to their own).

Sorry I can't advise you on the job/career stuff, but good luck with that. (one thought: maybe look at the Council, maybe there are some jobs in council housing management ... also, I get the feeling that office development is growing in Brum as it is central for businesses - maybe look for some openings with office management? Contact the Chamber of Commerce? OK, I'm officially out of harebrained ideas!)

My sister is a council housing officer and she reckons that there are a lot of decent paying jobs in housing.........something I am considering for myself.....though not in Birmingham LOL!!

I did spy that big Bullring shopping centre there on my way oop North from Somerset but didn't have time to pop in.......:frown:

Victor Meldrew Jan 19th 2011 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9112657)
My sister is a council housing officer and she reckons that there are a lot of decent paying jobs in housing.........something I am considering for myself.....though not in Birmingham LOL!!

I did spy that big Bullring shopping centre there on my way oop North from Somerset but didn't have time to pop in.......:frown:

I moved away from Birmingham basically about 30+ years ago and have never lived there since.

Despite being based in the North West since '82 and having been overseas since 2001, when people say 'where are you from' or 'where's home' I always say 'Birmingham' without hesitation or second thought.

I would also like to go back there and have done a number of 'reccies' over the last 4 or 5 summers. It still has that 'home' feeling when I walk around the town.

One thing I would say is that you should expect to feel different in some ways as things will not be exactly the same.

I get anxious about moving down there sometimes as it is such a big change after so many years and lots of (sometimes turbulent) water has passed under the bridge etc. But then remind myself I have moved 1000's of miles away, 3 times in the last 10 years, made new friends, set up a new home each time.

I am sure you are aware of all of the benefits of living there (other than being miles away from the sea). When you do go, keep us updated.:thumbsup:

Victor Meldrew Jan 19th 2011 1:04 pm

One thing I forgot to say is that I believe the City Council is making massive cutbacks and slashing many jobs.

A friend of mine has worked for the Council for many years and has reported back that people are very worried about redundancies.

hayleyatfla Jan 19th 2011 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9112619)

thanks so much.... i taotally agree 10 years ago i doubt you could pay me to move back to Brum, but the city centre does look great, the canals and the shops around it are really nice now it has definatly moved up the scale i have a friend in scotland he is a bit bored up there .. i love the hustle and bustle of city life so Birmingham is always great for me.. thanks for the positive responce ....hope all works out for you too!:D

hayleyatfla Jan 19th 2011 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9112657)

thanks thats really helpfl advise for me... now i know where to start :thumbup:
i loved town in birmingham, the new selfridges is amazing......:thumbsup:

hayleyatfla Jan 19th 2011 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 9113191)
I moved away from Birmingham basically about 30+ years ago and have never lived there since.

Despite being based in the North West since '82 and having been overseas since 2001, when people say 'where are you from' or 'where's home' I always say 'Birmingham' without hesitation or second thought.

I would also like to go back there and have done a number of 'reccies' over the last 4 or 5 summers. It still has that 'home' feeling when I walk around the town.

One thing I would say is that you should expect to feel different in some ways as things will not be exactly the same.

I get anxious about moving down there sometimes as it is such a big change after so many years and lots of (sometimes turbulent) water has passed under the bridge etc. But then remind myself I have moved 1000's of miles away, 3 times in the last 10 years, made new friends, set up a new home each time.

I am sure you are aware of all of the benefits of living there (other than being miles away from the sea). When you do go, keep us updated.:thumbsup:

well my dog is cleared for travel the end of June.. so its a money game... since i left my job in florida (cost of living was crazy) even though it paid good, i am in S.C with my mom as she is moving back also, all I can find here is my waitress job.. soo just huslting away mking what i can to get home as soon as I can.... It just funny lots of people always act like they wana "get out" of the Uk and Birmingham... but once you have been out , you know its not all that.... glad for the experience though.. the grass is always greener!

Brum will always be home,, you can take the girl out of Birmingam but you cant take theBrimingham out of the girl i guess (:

dunroving Jan 19th 2011 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by hayleyatfla (Post 9113851)
thanks so much.... i taotally agree 10 years ago i doubt you could pay me to move back to Brum, but the city centre does look great, the canals and the shops around it are really nice now it has definatly moved up the scale i have a friend in scotland he is a bit bored up there .. i love the hustle and bustle of city life so Birmingham is always great for me.. thanks for the positive responce ....hope all works out for you too!:D

Another job possibility is working with the "Estates Management" department at a university (that's what they call it at my university, not sure what it would be called in England). There are plenty of universities in Brum ... although as with the Council, they may well be cutting back (our place is, big time).

Laura_Jayne Jan 20th 2011 1:46 pm

Hi,

I can't help on the job front but I'll be moving back to near Birmingham (closer to Coventry) in June too, with my 3 cats :)

hayleyatfla Jan 20th 2011 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Laura_Jayne (Post 9116017)
Hi,

I can't help on the job front but I'll be moving back to near Birmingham (closer to Coventry) in June too, with my 3 cats :)

cool i am taking my lttle dog that is so expensive but i wouldnt leave her for any cost...

Sally Redux Jan 20th 2011 4:42 pm

Brum has a lot going for it, if you've been visiting each year you'll know there has been a lot of regeneration. The only drawback, as dunroving pointed out, is the low regard in which it is held by people from other parts of the country :lol:

Good luck with your move.

Englishmum Jan 21st 2011 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Laura_Jayne (Post 9116017)
Hi,

Ooooh - I grew up in Coventry and all of my family still live there (just 15-20 mins from Birmingham airport too).

Are you moving to Meriden? Coleshill?

hayleyatfla Jan 21st 2011 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9117349)
Ooooh - I grew up in Coventry and all of my family still live there (just 15-20 mins from Birmingham airport too).

Are you moving to Meriden? Coleshill?

i'm a kings heath, kings norton girl... riding the no# 50 .. lol

Lorac05 Jan 21st 2011 3:53 am

Not heading back to Birmingham - but close - I'll be heading back to Wolves hopefully sooner rather than later :)