Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved to Aus and regretted it?

Anyone moved to Aus and regretted it?

Old Nov 27th 2007, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved to Aus and regretted it?

I have found that the friendships I have made here are much more transient than the ones I had established in UK. Canberra is a fairly itinerant place and people have come and gone and there really isnt the impetus to keep in contact after a few years. I dont think of myself as having many friends here but I do have a social network which is reasonably supportive. I dont "do" social very well and so we dont go to other people's places for dinner and that sort of stuff.

Personally yes I do regret coming here - not for what I have had but what it is turning in to. It was fine when the kids were little and my parents were able to spend 6 months of every year here. Now they are too old and frail to do that and we seem to be stuck here. Well, to be honest, I am stuck, DH is an Aussie so he is quite happy here. I hate it and as time goes on I hate it more and more. He refuses to move and so one of us has to be unhappy - guess it gets to be me.

Our kids are ambivalent about what Aus offered them. One (who was born here) tried it overseas and came back vowing never to leave again. The other, who was born in UK has emigrated back again - by accident really - and though he thinks of himself as an Aussie he is committed to at least another 5 years on top of the 5 years he has already been there. He isnt really bothered about coming back except for the weather.

I think this is such a personal thing - if you had asked me 15 years ago I would probably have said I was quite happy but at that time I would have had in the back of my mind that I would go home at some stage. The older I get, the harder it becomes.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 12:36 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucy71
My DH told me last night that he feels that the last three years in oz have been a complete waste of time and he regrets coming here very much. However on the other hand he says that the lifestyle is better here, bigger houses, better weather etc. Only problem is we don't have a good social network of friends. I have found it relatively easy to meet new people as I'm a mum! but my OH has really struggled, partly due to his old job which involved working very very long hours plus he didn't join any clubs or put himself in a situation where he could meet new people. Our neighbours in the apartment we rent are contstantly changing so we haven't really met any new friends that way. So, he's very lonely, bored and had enough of Melbourne!

Hard to be happy when you're lonely and bored, no matter where you are.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I have found that the friendships I have made here are much more transient than the ones I had established in UK. Canberra is a fairly itinerant place and people have come and gone and there really isnt the impetus to keep in contact after a few years. I dont think of myself as having many friends here but I do have a social network which is reasonably supportive. I dont "do" social very well and so we dont go to other people's places for dinner and that sort of stuff.

Personally yes I do regret coming here - not for what I have had but what it is turning in to. It was fine when the kids were little and my parents were able to spend 6 months of every year here. Now they are too old and frail to do that and we seem to be stuck here. Well, to be honest, I am stuck, DH is an Aussie so he is quite happy here. I hate it and as time goes on I hate it more and more. He refuses to move and so one of us has to be unhappy - guess it gets to be me.

Our kids are ambivalent about what Aus offered them. One (who was born here) tried it overseas and came back vowing never to leave again. The other, who was born in UK has emigrated back again - by accident really - and though he thinks of himself as an Aussie he is committed to at least another 5 years on top of the 5 years he has already been there. He isnt really bothered about coming back except for the weather.

I think this is such a personal thing - if you had asked me 15 years ago I would probably have said I was quite happy but at that time I would have had in the back of my mind that I would go home at some stage. The older I get, the harder it becomes.
I do know what you mean about the friends...when we were having "one" of a few"leaving" parties back "home" one of my friends (whom I had known since nursery!!) said "Jack are you not bothered about leaving all these good friends"? (at this Party we had only our friends that we really had known and were very close to for many years....my husband and I were 35 then!!) and I replied "Julie you know us....we have made friends all our lives we'll make many more in the years to come"...I really believed that....my "hubbie" and I are easy going people and when we have friends we really "get on with" they become our extended family so it was really at that time the last thing on our minds....now though coming up to our 10th year in Aus we have had some nice friends here but they have all come on gone....(well most of them) and not through any faults from anyone just that seems to be how it is.....the longest friend we have had 7 years just moved away and we never really hear from them at all.....and talking to people here over the years they have mainly had the same thing....at first I thought it was us but really it is just circumstances...where as we have moved different areas we keep in touch and travel to see friends but when others have moved away it seems just to much trouble or they meet people from the old areas from back "home" etc...but what relly made our choice is that when we look down the path of life what would our old age be like...and although we have enjoyed most of our time here in Aus we really want to be doing things our parents are doing in their retirement...ie "going abroad" with people their own ages and having a really good laugh, little tins like seeing family when you want to...visiting old country homes...going to different towns for the weekend...etc..etc..so thank you for being so honest and who know one day you may get what you want.....have you thought about visitng your family for a few months of the year....with your parents or you son?
Good luck and take care......
Jackie in Perth
Old Nov 28th 2007, 11:32 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

My DH told me last night that he feels that the last three years in oz have been a complete waste of time and he regrets coming here very much. However on the other hand he says that the lifestyle is better here, bigger houses, better weather etc. Only problem is we don't have a good social network of friends. I have found it relatively easy to meet new people as I'm a mum! but my OH has really struggled, partly due to his old job which involved working very very long hours plus he didn't join any clubs or put himself in a situation where he could meet new people. Our neighbours in the apartment we rent are contstantly changing so we haven't really met any new friends that way. So, he's very lonely, bored and had enough of Melbourne!

That is a really important part of coming here...you do really have to put yourself out and step out of your comfort zone and meet new people. Expats, join club,gym etc. It really helps having people around you can ring up and say pop over for coffee/chat.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 9:41 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Does he play golf? does he drink? Enjoy fishing? what part of melbourne are you so desperately lonely in?