Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved to Aus and regretted it?

Anyone moved to Aus and regretted it?

Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved to Aus and regretted it?

Originally Posted by Triboy
I can't say I always regretted it, the first 8-10yrs were ok (kind of), but I regret not going back when I first wanted to (about year 99-2000), and I certainly regret listening to my Daily Fail reading parents on the phone, telling me how 'good' I have it here and it's 'rubbish' over there.

It's taken me about 7yrs to convince them and finally they get it (actually it was my wife whom I married in 04 that convinced them, not me )

I did/ have stayed way to long, and despite enjoying (some what) the first few years overall I regret coming, and would not do it again if I could wind the clock back. I wouldn't have stayed in Eng, but would have more likely taken advantage of Europe more, with a couple of years here and there (guess I'm a nomad ).

Worst case scenario for me is that I have to stay until Nov 08, but we 'may' be able to move before then, now we are both working for the same British company here in Sydney.
Yes, cand of the same for us really...too busy at first trying to find home, jobs etc to realise we did not have really have anything else...then we travelled around W.Aus then the Eastern States....we stayed as long because mainly my dad....who lifes great for you there....the weather.....the beach...etc...you cannot do that here (he who is always abroad a few times a year and fits in a visit to Aus every year!!!) but if it is so wonderful why did he not retire here....he had the money....said he loved it here but when push comes to shove...he must know deep down that he would not have the lifestyle he really enjoys in the U.K...I think if we had the weather (only spring and autumn for me though) that we have here in the U.K a lot more people would not come over...so we stayed and now after over 9 years we are going home next year (08) had some good times but a lot of very quiet years as well....I do feel that I live like I would be if I was in my 80"s!!! (although my dad is 79 and he is never at home...he's in Spain at them moment with a load of the "Golden Oldies" in a wonderful hotel...all entertainment laid on for them and it the cost was really inexpensive....and he is having a great time...now that is what I invisage for myself and my hubbie!!!)
Some good times but not just for us anymore...
Jackie
Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
I didn't mind having the major upheaval in my life that goes with a move to Aus - it was what I needed as I was in a bit of a rut, a bit bored and felt like a big change. (A mid-life crisis in other words ). I just wish now that I'd spent the money on travelling around and seeing other places, and maybe a few more material possessions, rather than spending it on moving permenantly Aus. Now I'm back in the UK, I've got everything back and now I appreciate it all more.
Great news for you...it is nice to hear all to often people love to put the U.K down...(and Europe) hope it all works out for us when we come back home....when we went back for our second visit this year we just appreciated things even more than after our first visit...it is a wonderful feeling..I suppose the "once you loose it" kind of thing kicks in.
Good luck
Jackie
Old Nov 15th 2007, 12:15 pm
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi I just read on the thread "Anyone gone back to the U.K and regretted it" and I just wanted to know if the same can be said for Australia. We have been here for a few years and I am not sure what I feel about our time here...it seems to be "Swings and Roundabouts" we are looking to return next year to the U.K.

Cheers.
NOPE!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 12:46 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
I didn't mind having the major upheaval in my life that goes with a move to Aus - it was what I needed as I was in a bit of a rut, a bit bored and felt like a big change. (A mid-life crisis in other words ). I just wish now that I'd spent the money on travelling around and seeing other places, and maybe a few more material possessions, rather than spending it on moving permenantly Aus. Now I'm back in the UK, I've got everything back and now I appreciate it all more.
Eric if you don't mind. How long did it take you to get back to where you were financially?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:57 am
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Anyone moved to Aus and regretted it?

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Eric if you don't mind. How long did it take you to get back to where you were financially?
Not really a case of getting back to exactly where I was before Louise. I mean, I'd be financially a lot better off if I hadn't have done the move, but I sold my house in the UK, didn't buy anywhere in Aus, and had a job out there that let me pay a decent flat rental and all the other stuff you need to shell out for. I just kept all my house sale money in the bank earning interest in the UK - I threw away some on cars, trips etc, but when I retuned I was still in a reasonable financial shape.

Cheers.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is slightly of the thread title but I thought it was interesting. My friends sister has just returned to Australia after working in the UK for approximately 9yrs. She is Australian. She thinks everyday groceries are more expensive here than in England and the wages are considerably lower. She feels the standard of living in Australia that she was used to has dropped considerably. My wife and I also noticed last year that a lot of everyday grocery products were cheaper in Manchester than they were in OZ. I know when I first came to Australia this was never the case. Australia was always way cheaper.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:31 pm

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by manc1
I know this is slightly of the thread title but I thought it was interesting. My friends sister has just returned to Australia after working in the UK for approximately 9yrs. She is Australian. She thinks everyday groceries are more expensive here than in England and the wages are considerably lower. She feels the standard of living in Australia that she was used to has dropped considerably. My wife and I also noticed last year that a lot of everyday grocery products were cheaper in Manchester than they were in OZ. I know when I first came to Australia this was never the case. Australia was always way cheaper.
Been here 18yrs so I've seen a few 'cycles'. But food dropping in the UK and rising here has been a steady trend since about 2002 I'd say. Certainly one of biggest differences I've seen. My wife has been to the UK twice, in 05 and 06 and she can't believe the difference. In this regard (and many others) Aussies really live in the past about how cheap they perceive their country to be (and probably a few expats living in the past on how expensive they recall the Uk to be).
Old Nov 18th 2007, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Triboy
Been here 18yrs so I've seen a few 'cycles'. But food dropping in the UK and rising here has been a steady trend since about 2002 I'd say. Certainly one of biggest differences I've seen. My wife has been to the UK twice, in 05 and 06 and she can't believe the difference. In this regard (and many others) Aussies really live in the past about how cheap they perceive their country to be (and probably a few expats living in the past on how expensive they recall the Uk to be).
We came to Aus in 1989 and some things I found cheaper Petrol, homes and cars but I always found the food expensive and not a great deal of "choice"...nowadays I find the homes here in Aus are expensive..Petrol has really gone up from 57 cents to $1.25 in 9 years and food is still expensive but a bit more choice....clothes in Aus (quality ones) are expensive and finding decent leather goods ie shoes, bags etc at a reasonable price is hard.

Our last visit to the U.K (07) we found food cheaper than in 1998 (honestly) and eating out was really good quality (most places) and really good value...homes are expensive but they are here now in Aus...salaries in the U.K seem really good where ours here rarely seem to rise with the inflation...do I think Aus is cheaper....not really, it may have been in the past but not now...I hardly know anyone here who says house hold "bills" are getting more expensive by the .5 year..holidays (proper ones...on a plane) are a rare thing......and having a drink in the "local" costs us about $6/7 a glass for wine and $7.00 for a pint...sometimes more...and these are Suburb pubs not the "City" venues where you would expect to pay more...I would not like to come over to live at the present time unless I came with a "nice" amount of money......or a highly paid job.....
Have a good evening to everyone out there....just off for "tea" now...I should say "dinner" but well old habits die hard.....
Jackie..in Perth who never seems to have enough money....even though I hardly go anywhere.....oooooooorr...
Old Nov 18th 2007, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by manc1
My lovely,kind brother sent me a huge parcel yesterday with packets of Taxis, Gold Bars (not the real ones unfortunately) reakaways....99p buy one get one free and also a few Toffee Crisps (Christmas came early) he bought them from Asda and I also notice these packs were special Christmas ones with an extra 4 bars in each packet....great prices, great choc...what more can I ask for!!!!! they were even cheaper in Tesco's (my sister in law found out later) they had buy one get 2 free!!! plus 25% (they are really inexpensive anyway) off there already great clothes ranges.........
Jackie from Perth but made in Manchester and proud of it!!!!!
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 8:23 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Oh Dear God YES. With bells and knobs on. Too many losses - family, money, health.....

Unfortunately we didn't appreciate what we had
I keep thinking that we will get over all that one day. Just can't see when that day will come! Trying to do all the positives but the financial side is just so cripling. I think I could deal with the family situation if I was able to own my own home and breathe a bit easier. As it stands it's rentals and inspections and not much funf for just now.

As for do I regret it.....jury is still out.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 25th 2007, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stitch
I keep thinking that we will get over all that one day. Just can't see when that day will come! Trying to do all the positives but the financial side is just so cripling. I think I could deal with the family situation if I was able to own my own home and breathe a bit easier. As it stands it's rentals and inspections and not much funf for just now.

As for do I regret it.....jury is still out.

Cheers

Ginny
Ginny, how long have you been in Aus? we came out 9 years ago and only had a very small amount of money, it was hard but then houses were far cheaper than now and so were other things....we did say that if we now came with the same amount of money we would be finding it VERY hard indeed....most new migrants seem to come out with a lot of money usually made on their homes in the U.K and they find it great but still more expensive than they originally thought. If you really love the area where you are and would like to stay in Aus I would say can you not find an area that is "up and coming" near where you live but a little cheaper...? and do you get the $10,000 (not sure how much) first time homebuyers help in Queensland? when we came over it was not available and just typical of our luck about after 6 months of buying our first home it was introduced here in W.A boy were we sick!!! I do find it more and more expensive to just live a life outside of paying bills let alone the nice things like going out for meals etc which have certainly "gone up" since we arrived here in Aus...I have just had to buy a car as I was spending a small fortune on my car as nobody could find out why it kept not starting...stalling etc and this after a log book major service (which cost me a small fortune) and now I will have to find the money to pay for this new car....gulp....but you really do need a reliable car here in Perth/W.A we are fed up now and are planning to go home and see what happens there....we just need a change and to see our families and friends....so good luck and hope all comes okay for you....
Take care
Jackie
Old Nov 25th 2007, 9:10 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jackie,

We've been here for about 18 months now. We first validated in 2003 and thought the cost of living was much cheaper. We were not one of the fortunate ones in the UK to make a few bucks on their house in the UK and came out with little in the bank. Now I didn't expect the house by the sea and sipping champagne by the pool but just to be able to own my home and drive a half decent car! Ha.....dreaming or what. We are just going through a bit of a hard time here just now and I know we need to find the positives etc. I know they will come just a bit fed up of all the blows just now. We do discuss regulary about heading back to the UK and it's something we haven't rulled out. I wish you the very best of luck and although it might be a struggle you'll have the family etc around you to keep you going.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 26th 2007, 4:44 pm

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi I just read on the thread "Anyone gone back to the U.K and regretted it" and I just wanted to know if the same can be said for Australia. We have been here for a few years and I am not sure what I feel about our time here...it seems to be "Swings and Roundabouts" we are looking to return next year to the U.K.

Cheers.
dont regret it think we would have always wondered what if annoyed with myself that i couldnt see how good we had it in the uk though you dont know what youve got till its gone!

i think the you do need to give it ample time though know a couple that left after 6mths and heard they are thinking of coming back as they feel they never gave it a proper go.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ned Kelly
Old Nov 27th 2007, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

lucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud of

My DH told me last night that he feels that the last three years in oz have been a complete waste of time and he regrets coming here very much. However on the other hand he says that the lifestyle is better here, bigger houses, better weather etc. Only problem is we don't have a good social network of friends. I have found it relatively easy to meet new people as I'm a mum! but my OH has really struggled, partly due to his old job which involved working very very long hours plus he didn't join any clubs or put himself in a situation where he could meet new people. Our neighbours in the apartment we rent are contstantly changing so we haven't really met any new friends that way. So, he's very lonely, bored and had enough of Melbourne!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.