Wikiposts

Anyone from Manchester?

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 2:28 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone from Manchester?

Originally Posted by Rushman
Then after work into a strange pub to drop about 100 to 200 quids worth of token into the machine and make home with the cash winnings.
Tokens ??
Good grief - how old are you mate ??
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 2:33 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
My favourite "fix" was with the electronic coin slots. If you just got one of the things that fired a spark for lighting a gas cooker and held it to the coin slot and fired it it would rack up the credits.

Shouldnt admit this but........3 years ago they laid a new carpet in one of the lounges at Heathrow....I managed to discover (much to my 12 year old sons utter joy) that a few rubs of the feet on the new carpet was enough to get a static shock from a pointed finger to knock credits up on one of the machines. I was amazed because I knew that had cured the electric shock thing years ago.
Remember people doing that on poker machines - held the sparker against a screw on the side of the case. Machines made an awful beep when it was done though, so needed to be careful.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 6:12 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Remember people doing that on poker machines - held the sparker against a screw on the side of the case. Machines made an awful beep when it was done though, so needed to be careful.
Slot machine called the Grand National ....if you got to the race ...tap collect as fast as you could ...£25 every time ....it was set to always pay £5 but some good advice and furious button pushing made for a profitable night
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

manchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant future

The bulls head in swinton, I remember now.
we also used to frequent the farmers arms in the very early 90's.
What was the pub called at the end of the rpecing that had a bit music going on, I don't recall it being called the wishing well, and did it turn into a yeates or somthing.
Those were the days
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

GetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enoughGetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ElaineQ
That's about 70 miles from me - the Woodlands is near the 59, near the IAH airport, right?
It's just off the I45, about 25 miles north of the airport.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

GetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enoughGetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by manchesterchick
What was the pub called at the end of the rpecing that had a bit music going on, I don't recall it being called the wishing well, and did it turn into a yeates or somthing.
Those were the days
The Yates was next to the library and Puccinis. I remember queing up for ages on a Christmas Eve to get in as it was the best place to go which was in staggering distance for the journey home, eating a kebab from Food Fayre!!
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GetYourBritsOut
The Yates was next to the library and Puccinis. I remember queing up for ages on a Christmas Eve to get in as it was the best place to go which was in staggering distance for the journey home, eating a kebab from Food Fayre!!
It's fantastic to find out other people's memories of Manchester - it makes me realise how bad my own memory is!!! I remember one New Year's Eve lying in the gutter outside a pub in St. Peter's square, (what was the pub called???) feeling really happy that I was in the best city in the world, and not being at all concerned that my new ankle boots, which I'd just bought for 16 quid in the sale at Dolcis, were getting scratched. What was the name of the pub across the road from the Hacienda? And the pub with the knickers on the wall (Tommy Duck's??) I could go on.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 4:10 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like exactly what we did on a saturday night....the best part was I didn't have to queue as I knew one of the Bouncers at the door...

thats a good point though....what was Yates before it became Yates...? I honestly can't remember...

probably because I was always drunk when I was around there...
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 4:11 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

My S.African dh was over for 3 weeks in March/April, outside of Manchester, and my friend called me up saying that they were taking him down the pub the Friday and they hoped he'd be drunk enough to piss in the village fountain.

My kids are moving a few miles outside of Manc for their A Levels next year - they can't wait - oldest will be nearly 18 and his brother nearly 17, and they're really looking forward to the pub life
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 4:12 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElaineQ
It's fantastic to find out other people's memories of Manchester - it makes me realise how bad my own memory is!!! I remember one New Year's Eve lying in the gutter outside a pub in St. Peter's square, (what was the pub called???) feeling really happy that I was in the best city in the world, and not being at all concerned that my new ankle boots, which I'd just bought for 16 quid in the sale at Dolcis, were getting scratched. What was the name of the pub across the road from the Hacienda? And the pub with the knickers on the wall (Tommy Duck's??) I could go on.
you wild woman you....

mind you you sound exactly like my best friend....she always seemed to end up lying in the middle of the road...telling everyone in the world she loved them..and to please pick her up...
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 4:13 am
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by Redlippie
My S.African dh was over for 3 weeks in March/April, outside of Manchester, and my friend called me up saying that they were taking him down the pub the Friday and they hoped he'd be drunk enough to piss in the village fountain.

My kids are moving a few miles outside of Manc for their A Levels next year - they can't wait - oldest will be nearly 18 and his brother nearly 17, and they're really looking forward to the pub life
How I envy them....to be young and in Manchester again.....memories....

P.S. They'll have a blast...
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisag8070
sounds like exactly what we did on a saturday night....the best part was I didn't have to queue as I knew one of the Bouncers at the door...

thats a good point though....what was Yates before it became Yates...? I honestly can't remember...

probably because I was always drunk when I was around there...
My sister used to have a drunken snog with one of the bouncers there more or less every week.

Can't remember what it was before but it's a chinese restaurant now. There was a really bad fight one night, someone died & they lost their license & couldn't get it renewed.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

manchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant future

It's really bugging me about what that place was called in the early 1990's. I used to go ther on a lot of weekends
And even though I still live in Manchester (and often went into the pub across from the Hacienda) I cannot remember the name of that either!!

Does anyone remember the conti club.
Now that was a really ropey hole. Frequented by nurses, doctors and police and the like, with a very dodgy mural of some ?persisan blokes by the beach (or similar)
I don't know if it is still there.
Manchester changes practically every week at the moment.
I was in the arndale centre only yesterday and that has grown and changed bigtime.
Afllecks palace is still going strong though!!
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by manchesterchick
It's really bugging me about what that place was called in the early 1990's. I used to go ther on a lot of weekends
And even though I still live in Manchester (and often went into the pub across from the Hacienda) I cannot remember the name of that either!!

Does anyone remember the conti club.
Now that was a really ropey hole. Frequented by nurses, doctors and police and the like, with a very dodgy mural of some ?persisan blokes by the beach (or similar)
I don't know if it is still there.
Manchester changes practically every week at the moment.
I was in the arndale centre only yesterday and that has grown and changed bigtime.
Afllecks palace is still going strong though!!
The DJ once told me to leave the dance floor in the Conti because I was slam dancing to U2. Actually, I was given two warnings. God, I was so tough (not!) Yes, it was ropey, without a doubt and they played the same music over and over every couple of hours. The pub across from the Hacienda - was it called something like the Britannia? I'm sure it was a Brit name or something to do with some British event/war. It was quite a nice little pub. Do you remember a club back in the mid 80's called The Berlin club? I only went there once but it caught my imagination for some reason.
I used to love Affleck's Palace too. Who was Affleck, anyway???
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 7:48 am
Last orders please...

My sister used to have a drunken snog with one of the bouncers there more or less every week.

Can't remember what it was before but it's a chinese restaurant now. There was a really bad fight one night, someone died & they lost their license & couldn't get it renewed.
OMG it wasn't the one with red hair was it...nicknamed Churchy..

Thats right...Its just a shame something soo bad had to happen before they shut the place down...

I must say that the Chinese Restaurant it is now is really good...and its a buffet as well (which pleased my OH big time)...we were there last xmas...so I'm hoping its still good the next time we come home....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.