Anyone from Manchester?

Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold
Default Anyone from Manchester?

Born and bred in Accrington, Dad worked at the Strangeways Hotel for many years, so we were always over there as kids. Ended up at Uni there, then stayed to work. Some distant memories - The Clarence pub on a Friday night, Umist, The Swinging Sporran, cut off Levis and black lycra everything, the Ritz on - was it a Monday when they played all the punk stuff? The Hacienda, Band on the Wall, Rusholme curries, the Feathers, St. Eddies, blah, blah. All that great music - could never decide whether I was a hippy, a punk, a raver or whatever else was going at the time. I had a pair of boots for every persona and occasion though. God, I loved that city.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:22 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone from Manchester?

Originally Posted by ElaineQ
Born and bred in Accrington, Dad worked at the Strangeways Hotel for many years, so we were always over there as kids. Ended up at Uni there, then stayed to work. Some distant memories - The Clarence pub on a Friday night, Umist, The Swinging Sporran, cut off Levis and black lycra everything, the Ritz on - was it a Monday when they played all the punk stuff? The Hacienda, Band on the Wall, Rusholme curries, the Feathers, St. Eddies, blah, blah. All that great music - could never decide whether I was a hippy, a punk, a raver or whatever else was going at the time. I had a pair of boots for every persona and occasion though. God, I loved that city.
Had to be me to reply dinnit!!! lol. I am from salford and knew quite a few people working at srangeways - they were all on about 3 quid a week tho ha ha. Band on the wall is pretty cool. I always meant to take Mrs Sod there when we lived in the UK but never got around to it. I feel sad everytime I sit on Deansgate locks though and see what the Hac has become. Progress I suppose but the big silly sign that says - the party is over, it's time to come home - always gets on my nerves. Silly bloody yuppies!!!

Rusholme. Lived there too, right across the road from the clarence pub. Cant beat a couple of onion bargis covered in hot sauce as you stagger home tatered. oh well, we are heading back next year so it'll all still be there waiting and then I will be kicking myself for going back. What you gonna do though. The heart wants what the heart wants.

By the way - Salford could always kick ass compared to softy manchester lol.

EDIT: Just remember BOTW was closed anyway when we were last there. It should re-open very soon and be much much grander than it ever was
Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:25 am
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Had to be me to reply dinnit!!! lol. I am from salford and knew quite a few people working at srangeways - they were all on about 3 quid a week tho ha ha. Band on the wall is pretty cool. I always meant to take Mrs Sod there when we lived in the UK but never got around to it. I feel sad everytime I sit on Deansgate locks though and see what the Hac has become. Progress I suppose but the big silly sign that says - the party is over, it's time to come home - always gets on my nerves. Silly bloody yuppies!!!

Rusholme. Lived there too, right across the road from the clarence pub. Cant beat a couple of onion bargis covered in hot sauce as you stagger home tatered. oh well, we are heading back next year so it'll all still be there waiting and then I will be kicking myself for going back. What you gonna do though. The heart wants what the heart wants.

EDIT: Just remember BOTW was closed anyway when we were last there. It should re-open very soon and be much much grander than it ever was
lived in Salford and manchester when i was at uni... and from close by...
ahhh the Curry mile....
Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cutina
lived in Salford and manchester when i was at uni... and from close by...
ahhh the Curry mile....
I live just down the road in Leigh, been to Salford many times and left with none-to-happy memories (Leigh Vs Salford rugby)

Plenty fun times in Manchester, doing the rounds followed by the curry mile is always a great day out and not to forget the dog track either!

I used to have fun when United & City played, my friends being a mix of both along with a few Evetonions and Liverpoodlians - used to be a dam good day out, especially since I didn't care for either team (Rugby through and through)
Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:40 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leyther
I live just down the road in Leigh, been to Salford many times and left with none-to-happy memories (Leigh Vs Salford rugby)

Plenty fun times in Manchester, doing the rounds followed by the curry mile is always a great day out and not to forget the dog track either!

I used to have fun when United & City played, my friends being a mix of both along with a few Evetonions and Liverpoodlians - used to be a dam good day out, especially since I didn't care for either team (Rugby through and through)

Typical bleedin student
Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Typical bleedin student
Rather be a student than a puff-ball supporter... isn't there some paint on a fence that needs watching instead
Old Nov 21st 2007, 1:37 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Me I'm from little ol Swinton but OH is from Salford.....

sorry but we didn't get into Manchester much at night as it was too bleedin expensive and when your only on 70 quid a week its way out of your league, the only time we could afford it is if the buses ran late and even then it was only till about 10:30...

I used to hit the pathetic little clubs in Eccles....Silver Screen and Rainbow rooms....but can honestly say that nothing was lower than our own Wishing Well (renamed Olivers) on Swinton precinct....where the carpet stuck to your feet and you dodged pint glasses...ahhh those were the days
Old Nov 21st 2007, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

I only went to the Hacienda a few times, mainly to please my flatmate. It always shocked me that they allowed me in with what I used to wear (ie: NOT the Hacienda uniform of any given moment in time - white 501's, striped tee shirts and bobbed,dyed black hair was a trend that comes to mind - I had no intention of dressing like a French onion seller) I can honestly say, though, that it was one of THE BEST clubs I've ever been to. There was something about it. I don't undertand why they knocked it down. I know what you mean about the Yuppies - Salford docks... And what about Hulme? I used to be into the Greenpeace thing in my later Manchester years. After they knocked the highrises down and built the new flats, all the right on, politically correct, green ex students - it seemed to be mostly the ones from down south who stayed on - moved in. All on the dole, of course. You'd see them drinking fair trade coffee up on their little balconies in the morning, no doubt planning what they were going to do with their unemployed arses for the rest of the day. I wonder where all the poor people went? Straight to hell boys... Probably.

My Dad was on a bit more than 3 quid a week, being, as he was, on the right side of the door

What was that real ale pub called, up - was the area called Shudehill? - it was a pub which seemd to be set amongst a lot of derelict houses. Does anyone remember a pub in Newcastle called 'The Broken Doll'? Now I digress...
Old Nov 21st 2007, 2:49 am
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by lisag8070
Me I'm from little ol Swinton but OH is from Salford.....

sorry but we didn't get into Manchester much at night as it was too bleedin expensive and when your only on 70 quid a week its way out of your league, the only time we could afford it is if the buses ran late and even then it was only till about 10:30...

I used to hit the pathetic little clubs in Eccles....Silver Screen and Rainbow rooms....but can honestly say that nothing was lower than our own Wishing Well (renamed Olivers) on Swinton precinct....where the carpet stuck to your feet and you dodged pint glasses...ahhh those were the days
ha ha - showing your dodgyness now Lisa - you mean the Silver Scream and the Rambo Rooms dontcha
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:05 am
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by ElaineQ
I only went to the Hacienda a few times, mainly to please my flatmate. It always shocked me that they allowed me in with what I used to wear (ie: NOT the Hacienda uniform of any given moment in time - white 501's, striped tee shirts and bobbed,dyed black hair was a trend that comes to mind - I had no intention of dressing like a French onion seller) I can honestly say, though, that it was one of THE BEST clubs I've ever been to. There was something about it. I don't undertand why they knocked it down. I know what you mean about the Yuppies - Salford docks... And what about Hulme? I used to be into the Greenpeace thing in my later Manchester years. After they knocked the highrises down and built the new flats, all the right on, politically correct, green ex students - it seemed to be mostly the ones from down south who stayed on - moved in. All on the dole, of course. You'd see them drinking fair trade coffee up on their little balconies in the morning, no doubt planning what they were going to do with their unemployed arses for the rest of the day. I wonder where all the poor people went? Straight to hell boys... Probably.

My Dad was on a bit more than 3 quid a week, being, as he was, on the right side of the door

What was that real ale pub called, up - was the area called Shudehill? - it was a pub which seemd to be set amongst a lot of derelict houses. Does anyone remember a pub in Newcastle called 'The Broken Doll'? Now I digress...
Very nice post. karma coming
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:24 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leyther
I didn't care for either team (Rugby through and through)

thought you supported Leigh?
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:28 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I went there once ..I trhough I was in Beirut
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:39 am
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by Ray
I went there once ..I trhough I was in Beirut
That was Greater Manchester. You were in Bury ha ha ha.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:54 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been there many times, and almost every other pub in greater manchester.
One of my first jobs after leaving school, for 4 years, was repairing jukeboxes in public houses. Those were the days - a free pint in every pub, or a few free pints if it was a Friday/Saturday night and you turned up to fix the jukebox in a previously quiet (and hence emptying boozer). One of the older guys was an alcoholic thanks to all the free beers he had taken during his many years in the buisiness
I got out when the industry went crazy and started putting stuffed toys in those crane machines in 'family pubs' - ******* car full of stuffed toys wasn't the wild image I was trying to portray as a young guy

Lived there too, right across the road from the clarence pub.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:56 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pony
I've been there many times, and almost every other pub in greater manchester.
One of my first jobs after leaving school, for 4 years, was repairing jukeboxes in public houses. Those were the days - a free pint in every pub, or a few free pints if it was a Friday/Saturday night and you turned up to fix the jukebox in a previously quiet (and hence emptying boozer). One of the older guys was an alcoholic thanks to all the free beers he had taken during his many years in the buisiness
I got out when the industry went crazy and started putting stuffed toys in those crane machines in 'family pubs' - ******* car full of stuffed toys wasn't the wild image I was trying to portray as a young guy
I did a similar job for Brent Walker with fruit machines.
Earned a ****ing fortune.....pay werent bad either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.