Anyone From Leeds?

Old Oct 18th 2009, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anyone From Leeds?

My husband is looking at a job in Leeds and I need to work out whether moving back is realistic. We left (the south) because we couldn't afford a home. My husband is a professor and they get paid less than teachers and do not qualify for the housing help teachers get.

Looking on Rightmove, it would appear that we can buy an average house in the area for £70-£100k, which we could manage and would mean we could move home. But is this realistic for a decent area or do these prices apply to the rough areas (that every town and city has).

What areas would you look at, with public transport links to the university? He currently has a 1.45 hours journey to work so any improvement on that would be great. The closer the better really.

Thanks.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone From Leeds?

Originally Posted by Celtic Princess
My husband is looking at a job in Leeds and I need to work out whether moving back is realistic. We left (the south) because we couldn't afford a home. My husband is a professor and they get paid less than teachers and do not qualify for the housing help teachers get.

Looking on Rightmove, it would appear that we can buy an average house in the area for £70-£100k, which we could manage and would mean we could move home. But is this realistic for a decent area or do these prices apply to the rough areas (that every town and city has).

What areas would you look at, with public transport links to the university? He currently has a 1.45 hours journey to work so any improvement on that would be great. The closer the better really.

Thanks.
Hi Celtic Princess

I'm from Huddersfield but studied and worked in Leeds for several years before moving to Canada at the start of this year. I would say that £70,000-£100,000 would buy you a very modest house in a less desirable area of the city, but for a nice house in a nice area you would be looking at much more than that. Which areas are you looking at? Being close to the University might be attractive from a commute point of view but living in a very studenty area can have its downsides, and some of the areas closest to the Unis (e.g. Hyde Park, Woodhouse) have high crime rates and are not attractive areas to live in, in my opinion. Headingley has a mixed student/young professionals population but gets very busy as a result. Slightly further out, there are Far Headingley and West Park too. Chapel Allerton is reputed to be a very nice, popular area but I'm sure the prices match. Note that this is just from my impressions and from what I've heard/seen/experienced.

Leeds as a city though is great. It has changed a LOT over the past few years and now has a very good reputation for business, shopping and culture. I really like it as UK cities go...but then I am a West Yorkshire girl so am probably a bit biased And the University of Leeds is a great University, I studied there and then went back last year to work for a while, a really good atmosphere and friendly people :-)

Will you have chance to go visit before making any decisions?

Good luck!

Adele

Last edited by adele; Oct 19th 2009 at 12:37 am.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I am very out of date as I was a student there a long time ago, but I still wouldn't think 70-100,000 GBP would go very far, confirmed by Adele. Headingly and Far Headingly seemed nice at the time, and they are close to the uni. If you are used to living in the south, the weather is significantly colder there.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that. We haven't looked at any particular areas yet. We are just trying to figure out if it is a possibility. My husband doesn't want to put all the time and effort into pursuing the job if we cannot afford to live there.

I'll have a look at the areas you have mentioned and see where we go from there.

By the way, we don't want to live in Studentland. We would like somewhere within an hour of the university. After travelling 1.45 each way at the moment, he will think he is in heaven to only have an hours commute.

As for the cold, we're in Sweden at the moment. Yorkshire will feel somewhat tropical to us.

Last edited by Celtic Princess; Oct 19th 2009 at 10:57 am.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. We haven't looked at any particular areas yet. We are just trying to figure out if it is a possibility. My husband doesn't want to put all the time and effort into pursuing the job if we cannot afford to live there.

I'll have a look at the areas you have mentioned and see where we go from there.

By the way, we don't want to live in Studentland. We would like somewhere within an hour of the university. After travelling 1.45 each way at the moment, he will think he is in heaven to only have an hours commute.

As for the cold, we're in Sweden at the moment. Yorkshire will feel somewhat tropical to us.

Good luck with it all.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Are there any areas which should be avoided like the plague? Like the area of town where all the stolen cars end up.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:38 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Are there any areas which should be avoided like the plague? Like the area of town where all the stolen cars end up.
China town and Armley. Ruff Ruff.

Farsley and Pudsey are lovely villages in Leeds. But they are near City centre (10-15 mins). Also try Horsforth and Rodley, both desirable, esp Horsforth.

Last edited by Nu-Shooz; Oct 20th 2009 at 8:41 am.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:22 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I sold a 2 bed, back-to-back end terrace (albeit Victorian stone and very nicely renovated) in Rodley for about 100k in 2003. Unless things are really bad there at the moment, and Nu-Shooz will know a lot more than me, I think your budget is very modest indeed - sorry.

I've lived in Chapel Allerton and Roundhay too - and a lot rougher areas when I was a student Both nice but pricey, as is Horsforth. Nu-Shooz is pointing you in the right direction, IMO - north west. Calverley is very nice too.

Avoid Seacroft and Gipton, take care in Harehills, avoid the area around St James hospital and yes, some parts of Hyde Park and Woodhouse Moor are a bit rough. Headingley is very studenty but has some nice areas.

Oh add Bramley (most of it) to the one to avoid. Lived there as a student in a council flat so bad that council tenants wouldn't live there.

I was in Leeds last month - annual shopping trip.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:03 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I'd personally look outside of Leeds and just commute in. You get more for your money and you can avoid the rough areas for the price.

An example of what you could get for around your limit is here or here

About 45 - 60 mins commute at the most. Very close to York, near the river Ouse and the river bank for walks etc

Last edited by el_richo; Oct 21st 2009 at 9:05 am.