Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone had to return against their wishes?

Anyone had to return against their wishes?

Old Feb 6th 2014, 5:22 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone had to return against their wishes?

It looks like our time in America will be coming to an end, as our Green Card application was denied. We're filing a motion to re-open, but if that fails we will be returning to the UK, probably in August.

We never disliked living in the UK, but we now consider California home, and had no desire to return to the UK. Our daughter will be 12 next month, and has lived here longer than in the UK, after already doing 3 big moves, attending 5 schools, and living in 7 different houses, she'll be absolutely gutted at having to move again.

We still own our house in the UK, but my husbands job is rather specialized, and it will be difficult enough finding a job, let alone one commutable to the house we own. So we will probably be returning to an unknown area.

I was just wondering if anyone had returned under similar circumstances, and if so how they adjusted to being back?
Old Feb 6th 2014, 5:31 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone had to return against their wishes?

failing the appeal & you 'returning to the UK' - I have a comment to that, which is 'why do you have to return to the UK', why not somewhere else such as Canada, Australia or Europe?

Good luck with getting to stay in the states.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 5:37 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
failing the appeal & you 'returning to the UK' - I have a comment to that, which is 'why do you have to return to the UK', why not somewhere else such as Canada, Australia or Europe?

Good luck with getting to stay in the states.
There is no appeal to moving to another country, I just want to feel settled somewhere and get on with our lives, I don't want to continue living in limbo and worrying about visa applications... I guess the problem isn't having to move to the UK, it's having to move anywhere.

Thanks for the good luck wishes
Old Feb 6th 2014, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

What was the reason for denial? Mine was denied and I filed a motion to re-open based on the fact that they never noticed me or their intent to deny and allow me time to provide additional evidence. I was successful and got my green card.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
What was the reason for denial? Mine was denied and I filed a motion to re-open based on the fact that they never noticed me or their intent to deny and allow me time to provide additional evidence. I was successful and got my green card.
Questions revolving around my hubby's role when he worked in the UK, you would have thought these would have all been addressed at the visa level.

You're the first person I've come across who has been through a motion to re-open, so that gives me a little hope.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

You should definitely speak to your attorney and file a motion to re-open. You have nothing to lose. What I found throughout the whole green card process is that the USCIS rarely follows its own rules which can result in denials being issued. They should have sent you a notice of intent to deny giving you the opportunity to provide more evidence. Hopefully its just a case of needing more information Hope it works out for you!
Old Feb 6th 2014, 6:30 pm

You should definitely speak to your attorney and file a motion to re-open. You have nothing to lose. What I found throughout the whole green card process is that the USCIS rarely follows its own rules which can result in denials being issued. They should have sent you a notice of intent to deny giving you the opportunity to provide more evidence. Hopefully its just a case of needing more information Hope it works out for you!
It's definitely being re-opened (filing should go in tomorrow), our attorney is jumping up and down in a fit of rage, after getting his first ever denial (and he's done a lot). We did get an RFE with the most ridiculous questions, which we thought we had all been more than answered.

Hopefully it will all work out, but I obviously can't help but worry, and have to start planning for a return.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

When I got my denial I was in tears and thought that I was moving back so its understandable that you are worrying. The ironic thing for me was that I finally got approved after 9 years of waiting and fighting with USCIS and I have now decided that I don't want to stay in the US. However its definitely better to be the one making the decision to leave than having someone tell me I have to.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot recall anyone on BE having had to do this (apart from Brat1's problems) so maybe that is a good sign.

I understand you mentally have to prepare yourself for the worst although I think it will get resolved.

I hope some people with more relevant knowledge will come along.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 6:58 pm

When I got my denial I was in tears and thought that I was moving back so its understandable that you are worrying. The ironic thing for me was that I finally got approved after 9 years of waiting and fighting with USCIS and I have now decided that I don't want to stay in the US. However its definitely better to be the one making the decision to leave than having someone tell me I have to.
Yikes, 9 years. How long after your original denial did you get your GC?

The whole feeling of not being in control of your own life, is very unsettling.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Yikes, 9 years. How long after your original denial did you get your GC?

The whole feeling of not being in control of your own life, is very unsettling.
9 years, you'll probably be ready to go back of your own accord by then
Old Feb 6th 2014, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
9 years, you'll probably be ready to go back of your own accord by then
I'm thing I'm already verging along the lines of alcoholism, that would definitely drive me there.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by N1cky
I'm thing I'm already verging along the lines of alcoholism, that would definitely drive me there.

Old Feb 6th 2014, 8:13 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

F eck!

(Hope it works out Nicky)
Old Feb 6th 2014, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
F eck!

(Hope it works out Nicky)
F'eck, Arse and Drink appear to have been my main vocab over the last few days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.