Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone experiencing reverse culture shock?

Anyone experiencing reverse culture shock?

Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:50 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone experiencing reverse culture shock?

Originally Posted by mandoz
In response to OP, I am not suffering from reverse culture shock now, but I did do initially. I think it is quite normal really, especially if you have enjoyed many aspects of the country and culture you were living in before your return.
I lived in oz for 6years and I really wanted to go back to the UK desperately.
I think you need to give yourself time to settle back in though.
Yes you may want to return again (I thought, still think, I might return to oz someday).
It took me a good couple of years (maybe longer) to feel settled back here in the uk.
Interestingly I did return to the area I grew up in first off, so plenty of familiriarity. But I hated it. 6 years away had made too much of a shift in me and my attitude to life to just slip back.
I now live in Manchester and am completely at home and (almost) blissfully settled.
A lot is to do with becoming a lot more grounded in life. You develop a new out look on life based on your expereinces and at the end of the day, sometimes you realize you've out grown a place. Once you realize you don't have to stay in one place, it's relatively easy to up and leave as you have learned it's not really a big deal.

As someone on here rightly notes, it does come down to life stages as well. Older and more financially secure affords more mobility than someone just starting out with a young family. Same can be said of a younger person with no ties, no house to sell, no career to start over.