Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone experienced problems returning to UK with US citizenship?

Anyone experienced problems returning to UK with US citizenship?

Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:59 am
Just Joined

auntmint is a name known to allauntmint is a name known to allauntmint is a name known to allauntmint is a name known to allauntmint is a name known to allauntmint is a name known to allauntmint is a name known to allauntmint is a name known to allauntmint is a name known to allauntmint is a name known to allauntmint is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone experienced problems returning to UK with US citizenship?

Originally Posted by sarah64
Thank you, I think I'd better get the ball rolling, this place is always so uplifting and hopeful, at the end of the day so many of us are in the same position. I've never fit in here in the US but 2 months back in London last year was unbelievably easy, I was home, friends from 20 odd years ago were consistently amazing as was the food, the humour, the attitude, the ability to laugh and have fun, oh the list is endless
Thanks Sara64 - your post made me smile. I'm a little bit nervous about making the move back but oh so excited for all the things you mention and more. The Brits have so many endearing qualities, their particular brand of humour (notice I'm practising the spelling) being one of them. :-)
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:05 am
Just Joined

auntmint is a name known to allauntmint is a name known to allauntmint is a name known to allauntmint is a name known to allauntmint is a name known to allauntmint is a name known to allauntmint is a name known to allauntmint is a name known to allauntmint is a name known to allauntmint is a name known to allauntmint is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nun
I found that getting US citizenship had some psychological effects. I felt that i was being disloyal.....and I'm definitely not the patriotic flag waving type. The big thing is the US oath of loyalty where you have to swear that you are giving up all your former loyalties, but as you do it in a big group you can mumble those bits.

I took citizenship as I'd been in the US for so long and I wanted to participate by voting and also to protect things like SS, not out of any great desire to be an American.
I couldn't agree with you more nun... the whole swearing in thing was most uncomfortable. I felt very disloyal. But I feel very fortunate to have dual citizenship as it really does afford us the luxury of free movement as our fancies take us. I feel like it's a privilege and I don't regret it for a second. If I ever earn 90 grand a year then maybe I'll eat my words ;-)
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Barbara1133 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lorac05
You do have to submit US tax returns for the rest of your life - but only pay tax if you earn more than $90,000 (I think that's the number). Other than that there are no issues that I am aware of.
Essentially, the same tax rules apply to permanent residents and US citizens alike. You are obligated to file at least a 1040 return every single year regardless of where you live or earn your income. Becoming a citizen will actually help you, particularly if you have paid enough credits (I think it's 33 quarters) to be eligible to draw US social security. As a citizen, if the Social Security laws change, permanent residents might be sidelined if they are no longer resident in the US, but as a citizen, you will be entitled to draw your social security anywhere in the world. You will also be a dual citizen. No problems at all for you, actually only benefits. If you ever want to return to the US, you can do so with ease. Tell your mum to stop worrying! I'm a dual citizen and am moving back to London this summer. I took out citizenship for that reason alone.

Do it! You have absolutely nothing to lose.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

kateg60 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by auntmint
I couldn't agree with you more nun... the whole swearing in thing was most uncomfortable. I felt very disloyal. But I feel very fortunate to have dual citizenship as it really does afford us the luxury of free movement as our fancies take us. I feel like it's a privilege and I don't regret it for a second. If I ever earn 90 grand a year then maybe I'll eat my words ;-)
I felt this way too, and I really do still consider my self British.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

kateg60 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Barbara1133
Essentially, the same tax rules apply to permanent residents and US citizens alike. You are obligated to file at least a 1040 return every single year regardless of where you live or earn your income. Becoming a citizen will actually help you, particularly if you have paid enough credits (I think it's 33 quarters) to be eligible to draw US social security. As a citizen, if the Social Security laws change, permanent residents might be sidelined if they are no longer resident in the US, but as a citizen, you will be entitled to draw your social security anywhere in the world. You will also be a dual citizen. No problems at all for you, actually only benefits. If you ever want to return to the US, you can do so with ease. Tell your mum to stop worrying! I'm a dual citizen and am moving back to London this summer. I took out citizenship for that reason alone.

Does anyone know someone who has done this and is claiming Social Security after living and working in the UK for several years. In my sitiation I have worked in the US for 20+ years and I have private pensions. I plan to work in the UK when I return until retirement, about 12 years. So I won't be paying SS in the US I presume. How does this all work?
Old Mar 26th 2011, 2:43 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kateg60
Does anyone know someone who has done this and is claiming Social Security after living and working in the UK for several years. In my sitiation I have worked in the US for 20+ years and I have private pensions. I plan to work in the UK when I return until retirement, about 12 years. So I won't be paying SS in the US I presume. How does this all work?
I do not have personal experience yet because I'm only 60, but I believe you simply contact the SS a few months before you wish to start getting your SS (anywhere from age 62 to 70, your choice.) They can either send it to a bank account in the US or one elsewhere, for instance the UK.
Just to add; in your scenario, you may get your SS payments reduced as a result of the Windfall Elimination Provision, but that is a complex area (discussed in other threads recently.)

Last edited by robin1234; Mar 26th 2011 at 2:45 am.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 3:28 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
And you only have to pay tax on the excess over $90,000.
Isn't it the case that you don't even pay US tax over that amount unless you would owe more in the US than in the UK (which usually isn't the case)? I may have that wrong, but that was my understanding.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 3:52 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barbara1133

Just a note of caution. If you have accounts outside of the US that are over $10k you have to declare those to the US treasury or risk big fines. There are other rules about offshore accounts coming in soon. Also being a dual citizen living in the UK will make it difficult for you to invest in mutual funds/unit trusts
outside of retirement accounts as you end up in a Catch 22 taxation situation.
The US has complicated rules and will impose big taxes on UK based funds, and the UK will tax any gains you have in US funds as income.....if NI and income tax get merged that might be even worse