Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever moved back to the UK by sea from the US?

Anyone ever moved back to the UK by sea from the US?

Old Sep 21st 2008, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Rusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to all
Default Anyone ever moved back to the UK by sea from the US?

We're plotting our return to the UK's fair shores for around April next year - we've both had enough of the US.

Looking into our options, we've discovered that we can go on the Queen Mary for about $1200 per person. Sure, it takes six days, but there's an unlimited luggage allowance (anything we'd bring with us we'd be able to bring in suitcases), we can bring our cats with us (they have kennels onboard, but they still need their pet passports), and we can enjoy six days of abject luxury on the way to Southampton. The savings on shipping the cats and the excess baggage actually makes it cheaper for us to do it this way!

Anyone else done it this way? If so, what was your experience?
Old Sep 21st 2008, 6:11 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone ever moved back to the UK by sea from the US?

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw
We're plotting our return to the UK's fair shores for around April next year - we've both had enough of the US.
...........Anyone else done it this way? If so, what was your experience?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=13

Old Sep 21st 2008, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Rusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to all

I really should use the search function more. Thanks Elvira... definitely sounds like the way to go!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 10:32 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Now that really sounds like a great trip. Dh would love to do that.
Now maybe I can tempt him back home to UK sooner with a promise of a trip across the Ocean on the QM2
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:27 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

What a great idea!!
The last time I was on a boat it was a cruise around Boston harbour (US, not UK!), and before that it would have been the ferry to France. I bet the QM2 would be a bit of a step up!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 10:22 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

we did it the other way round (UK to USA) and it is definately the way to travel...

for the price you are paying (compared to flights and baggage etc) you will be spoiled rotten from the moment you step on the ship....we have a daughter and their play club was absolutely first class, my daughter never wanted to leave! (but you do have to pick them up for lunch and dinner) but the club is open until 12am so you actually get to enjoy a night out without the kids!..

they have a pub onboard (of course) where they have quiz nights pretty much every night and of course don't forget the shows they put on everynight..

the only thing you have to remember is to add an hour every day to your clocks/watch....but hey.. no jet-lag..

IMHO it is definately worth it...for me I'd be looking at $1,000 just to fly home, so for an extra $200 I would be booking it before you could blink...

you'll love it...
Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

I wonder if it's a more 'environmentally friendly' way to travel than by air? I always assumed so, but was talking about it with hubby earlier tonight and he reckoned it isn't, in terms of amount of fuel 'consumed' per person. Anyone know?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw

Looking into our options, we've discovered that we can go on the Queen Mary for about $1200 per person. Sure, it takes six days, but there's an unlimited luggage allowance (anything we'd bring with us we'd be able to bring in suitcases), we can bring our cats with us (they have kennels onboard, but they still need their pet passports), and we can enjoy six days of abject luxury on the way to Southampton. The savings on shipping the cats and the excess baggage actually makes it cheaper for us to do it this way!

Anyone else done it this way? If so, what was your experience?

One of our british expats members took the QM, US to UK...If you look under Calle...It should come up...they took pets too, OCt/NOv(couple yrs back) if i'm correct and its abit cheaper in November, if i'm correct.