Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone else moving back in August/September

Anyone else moving back in August/September

Old Jul 24th 2013, 2:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone else moving back in August/September

I've been looking at flight prices from San Francisco to UK. Should cost us about $3500 for the three of us, not including any extra suitcases.
Aiming for 31st or 1st.
We sold the house in 1 day.
I was in shock and am still have a bit of panic over the logistics, trying to get it in my head, when do we need to ship everything out, when do we have to get out of the house, what day will we need to book the hotel for etc etc.
My fingers are permanently crossed hoping it all falls into place and no one drops the ball.
Breathe breathe. I've had ay least 4 migraines in the last week. Thank you whoever invented my medication.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 2:47 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else moving back in August/September

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I've been looking at flight prices from San Francisco to UK. Should cost us about $3500 for the three of us, not including any extra suitcases.
Aiming for 31st or 1st.
I was in shock and am still have a bit of panic over the logistics, trying to get it in my head, when do we need to ship everything out, when do we have to get out of the house, what day will we need to book the hotel for etc etc.
My fingers are permanently crossed hoping it all falls into place and no one drops the ball.
Breathe breathe. I've had ay least 4 migraines in the last week. Thank you whoever invented my medication.

One day, well done, now sit down, have a glass (or two) of wine to celebrate. Then do a check list, passports, what to ship, what to sell, sell stuff on Ebay or wherever, tickets, (pets?). Cross them off as you do them and watch the list get smaller.. SMILE..
Old Jul 24th 2013, 3:33 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratualtions on the sale of your house. Another hurdle completed!!!
Old Jul 24th 2013, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Caruthers will become famous soon enoughCaruthers will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lf1
Congratualtions on the sale of your house. Another hurdle completed!!!
wow. fast. they say the Bay Area market is hot at the moment (where I am) but your sale is incredible. May I ask did you advertise below market rate to get interest? Just curious on strategies for a quick sale and wary of realtors.

BTW I just did orbitz search yesterday one way from SFO to LND. 760 on virgin in Sept per person.

Last edited by Caruthers; Jul 24th 2013 at 5:51 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 7:33 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Anyone else moving back in August/September

Aiming for 31st or 1st.
Yay! Fantastic that you sold the house so quickly!

OK; check the Moving Scam website so you can avoid the dodgy removal companies. Some tips here:

http://www.movingscam.com/internatio...ping_guide.php

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

If you need to sell a car or cars, do consider CarMax. I had a great experience selling our two cars in NJ at the end of April this year and had a week to make up my mind once they'd given me a firm price (which I was very happy with). They are in various locations around the US:

http://www.carmax.com

http://www.carmax.com/enus/we-buy-ca...APP01L01Global

I recall that one family moving back from CA to the UK got a great price on one way airtickets from AutoEurope (but phoned the agent for their best fare...see the top right hand corner for the free phone number):

http://www.autoeurope.com/airfare.cfm

No need to worry about booking a hotel room at this stage

Good Luck!
Old Jul 24th 2013, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

Great news - good luck with everything.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 7:42 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caruthers
wow. fast. they say the Bay Area market is hot at the moment (where I am) but your sale is incredible. May I ask did you advertise below market rate to get interest? Just curious on strategies for a quick sale and wary of realtors.

BTW I just did orbitz search yesterday one way from SFO to LND. 760 on virgin in Sept per person.
We priced above what the realtor thought we should for the size of the house (we based it one that went round the corner in 4 days) and got over asking right away, the realtor was gobsmacked! We did better than we thought. Then her other two in our little spot all sold in the same way, no signs went up, sold immediately, so things are looking up.
We are using Rainier for shipping, thats all organized. Cars are being sold to friends. Just some furniture and last minutes pots pans and dishes to the womens shelter charity shop and we should be good to go.
Fingers crossed the bank thinks it's worth what they offered.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

1 day! Fantastic news, stressful though. You'll do it
Old Jul 24th 2013, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

Congratulations

I fly back from Calgary to the UK on The 26th September for good! $720 one way with upgraded luggage
Old Jul 24th 2013, 10:01 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by kwazywabbit
Congratulations

I fly back from Calgary to the UK on The 26th September for good! $720 one way with upgraded luggage
Great price.
I just can't find get anything under $1200 by the time they add on the taxes.
Oh well, it's not like I have to do it again is it.

I've been shredding papers all afternoon, 4 bin bags full to take to recycle and four more file boxes to go.
Got all kinds of things arranged with donations so we don't get stuck with stuff at the end.
Now I'm getting antsy.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on selling the house so fast, that is fantastic!
Old Jul 25th 2013, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Wow! 1 day? That is amazing. Congrats on selling the house and don't forget to make lists ( if you haven't already). Happy shredding
Old Jul 25th 2013, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Great news - good luck with the next stage
Old Jul 25th 2013, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Great news about the house Mummy!
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

Great price.
I just can't find get anything under $1200 by the time they add on the taxes.
Oh well, it's not like I have to do it again is it.

I've been shredding papers all afternoon, 4 bin bags full to take to recycle and four more file boxes to go.
Got all kinds of things arranged with donations so we don't get stuck with stuff at the end.
Now I'm getting antsy.
That is Canadian lol Also they changed the law out here not long ago, They have to add the taxes on to the price!

I fly back next week for a 2 week holiday. Then when I get back thats when the fun starts lol.

Hope everything goes smooth for you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.