Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anybody returning who cant afford to buy a house?

Anybody returning who cant afford to buy a house?

Old Nov 29th 2014, 2:18 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody returning who cant afford to buy a house?

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
I am having serious wobbles worrying about this whole situation as we will be forced to rent. We live in a paid off house right now - but it is in Florida where real estate is relatively cheap. We would need all the proceeds to see us through retirement. And it wouldn't buy much more than a garden shed in the UK in any case. Sometimes it seems insane to start all over again as if we were 20 year olds. On the other hand...the tug to go home is still strong. Luckily, (or not) I have another couple of years to worry myself sick about it before we have to make a decision to actually move
That is quite similar to the situation I was in when I returned to the UK in 2006. Now, 8 years later I am in a position to pay off my new mortgage but it's been a hard slog and I bang my head against the wall at times at the timing of house price movement in the UK compared to other countries (in my case, the southeast US where house prices were essentially stagnant 1996 to 2006).

Other expats have ended up in the opposite situation - able to buy outright on returning to the UK because their house in, say, Australia rocketed while they were living outside of the UK. It's the luck of the draw, as hard as it is to accept sometimes. It's not worth beating yourself up or second guessing yourself as to whether you should return, just do what your heart tells you.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes it seems insane to start all over again as if we were 20 year olds.
That is exactly how it feels for us at the moment! We are living in university accommodation and it's not an exaggeration to say when out kids visit from their universities at Christmas, they will be less comfortable. We are currently working on getting a big mortgage to afford a town house here.

Still glad we did it, but not easy.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
That is quite similar to the situation I was in when I returned to the UK in 2006. Now, 8 years later I am in a position to pay off my new mortgage but it's been a hard slog and I bang my head against the wall at times at the timing of house price movement in the UK compared to other countries (in my case, the southeast US where house prices were essentially stagnant 1996 to 2006).

Other expats have ended up in the opposite situation - able to buy outright on returning to the UK because their house in, say, Australia rocketed while they were living outside of the UK. It's the luck of the draw, as hard as it is to accept sometimes. It's not worth beating yourself up or second guessing yourself as to whether you should return, just do what your heart tells you.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/take-.../#post11481799
Old Nov 29th 2014, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Flying Enterprise is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having serious wobbles worrying about this whole situation as we will be forced to rent. We live in a paid off house right now - but it is in Florida where real estate is relatively cheap. We would need all the proceeds to see us through retirement. And it wouldn't buy much more than a garden shed in the UK in any case. Sometimes it seems insane to start all over again as if we were 20 year olds. On the other hand...the tug to go home is still strong. Luckily, (or not) I have another couple of years to worry myself sick about it before we have to make a decision to actually move
I could actually paraphrase your whole post, word for word, I think judging by the amount of posts, a lot of people are in the same position,

If only the Pound would drop to a reasonable exchange rate,
Old Nov 29th 2014, 1:43 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Divide those ££ numbers by about 50%, and change the start date to 1990 (when I sold the house I renovated to put myself through grad school) and I have exactly the same scenario.

Hard to buy into the "spilt milk" platitudes but without a time travelling machine, there's not much choice.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 4:30 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

Divide those ££ numbers by about 50%, and change the start date to 1990 (when I sold the house I renovated to put myself through grad school) and I have exactly the same scenario.

Hard to buy into the "spilt milk" platitudes but without a time travelling machine, there's not much choice.
When I split up with my second husband (in case you are guessing, OH is no.3), I sold him my share in our five bedroom London house, so that the pregnant blonde bimbo could move in with him. Lucky bimbo (financially anyway). Nowadays I make a point of never looking at London house prices. It is way too painful and leads to dark and bitter thoughts.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry folks

My example just made me think about that advice we sometimes give to people who come on BE: maybe investigate simple solutions first? Like we could have extended into the loft