Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anybody here, came back from NZ and wish they hadn't

Anybody here, came back from NZ and wish they hadn't

Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of
Default Anybody here, came back from NZ and wish they hadn't

Hi, Have any of you who left NZ regretted your discission?

We have been here for 11 years, but I'm getting homesick, one of our kids have returned, and our parents aren't getting any younger. I've wondered for a few years now if I made the right move to come out here. My wife may get the chance to go back (depending on her research), in which case we may well rent out our property here and go back for a spell.

Has anyone here done something simular? What did you find?

Last edited by kooga61; Jul 21st 2009 at 12:25 am.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anybody here, came back from NZ and wish they hadn't

Originally Posted by kooga61

We have been here for 11 years, but I'm getting homesick, one of our kids have returned, and our parents aren't getting any younger. I've wondered for a few years now if I made the right move to come out here. My wife may get the chance to go back (depending on her research), in which case we may well rent out our property here and go back for a spell.

Has anyone here done something simular? What did you find?
I am about to move back from Canada. As far as I am concerned, this is the time to do it. The pound is down 20% and you can probably pick up a bargain in the property market. As for the job market... well, let's hope it improves. On saying that, it seems the job market is bad amost everywhere at the moment.

Last edited by johnh009; Jul 21st 2009 at 2:06 am.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by johnh009
I am about to move back from Canada. As far as I am concerned, this is the time to do it. The pound is down 20% and you can probably pick up a bargain in the property market. As for the job market... well, let's hope it improves. On saying that, it seems the job market is bad amost everywhere at the moment.
If you don't mind me asking, why are you leaving Canada? And how long have you been there? Please keep in touch, as I would love to get your insight into what you encounter once back in Britain.

good luck.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

there are loads who seem ping pong poms I shall also be intrested, not looking forward to the traffic and are more determined to visit more ogf the UK than I did
I am going to make the next chapter of my life (hit a big 0 birthday this month) about my family and life around them this does not include siblings of parents who it does not matter where in the world you are are still a pain in the xxxx. I am going to live life for us, not the house or anyone else well that the theroy anyway.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kooga61

You will have more flexibility to return if you are already a New Zealand citizen, even then, moving countries is expensive.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ
You will have more flexibility to return if you are already a New Zealand citizen, even then, moving countries is expensive.
Reminds me of the old saying: "A rolling stone gathers no wealth". I suppose the experience is at least worth something.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 8:57 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Reminds me of the old saying: "A rolling stone gathers no wealth". I suppose the experience is at least worth something.
What is classified as wealth though ? Wealth is forever attainable, experiences aren't always.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

tricky one. i was in NZ for 3 years, I didnt settle, moved back full of anticipation and felt like i'd made a mistake the moment the plane took off!

I felt terrible regret for months afterwards but did the things i missed, basically roamed the countryside in all weathers, now that can be done in NZ but not so much on ones back yard so to speak and in NZ i found the strong sun and humidity really uncomfortable, it could have been 45F but the sun light meant that id be getting all hot and itchy even though the air was cool, weird, but it drove me mad. to be honest i'd have felt much better if we hadnt been living at my mums for a few months after we got back, that was a huge retro step for me as you can imagine.

Within 6 months i was settled again but then a year after that my wife got a position in the USA and we are now here, oddly enough i dont mind being here, partly the simplicity of visiting the UK from chicago makes things less drastic than the move to the antipodes...also the sun doesnt burn like the kiwi one!

ps, one back in the UK we took lots of trips out, weeks in devon where possible, i really loved that and to be honest thats what made me feel happy to be back in the UK, i simply avoided where possible all the crappy things that can be there. I still miss walks on dartmoor, cream teas, mild weather, all cliches but all real enough.

Last edited by bugman; Jul 22nd 2009 at 9:24 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:39 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Chicago is a pretty amazing place also, love the city, the dining the music etc.

I could be happy in Chicago I reckon...Gets a little cold for me but that said plenty to do. I think some people live somewhere for too long, get stuck in a rut and get bored, that is why living somewhere new is a great time to kick start some changes, albeit for the better.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
What is classified as wealth though ? Wealth is forever attainable, experiences aren't always.

Spot on mate.