Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anybody had a career change since returning?

Anybody had a career change since returning?

Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold
Default Anybody had a career change since returning?

I'm thinking of doing something different when I return to England. I haven't worked for 9 years and I kind of fancy studying again but not sure what for. Always loved the travel/airline industry so maybe something to do with that. I'll be looking to study part time.

Has anybody tried something new since they have returned? Are there lots of courses available? What about the Open University or local colleges, which are better?
Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:31 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody had a career change since returning?

Hi

I am thinking along the same lines as you. Do you, or anyone else know if it is possible to get student loans if you have been out of the country for a long period of time? Not sure of my entitlement
Old Apr 18th 2007, 2:30 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishfinger
I'm thinking of doing something different when I return to England. I haven't worked for 9 years and I kind of fancy studying again but not sure what for. Always loved the travel/airline industry so maybe something to do with that. I'll be looking to study part time.

Has anybody tried something new since they have returned? Are there lots of courses available? What about the Open University or local colleges, which are better?
I worked in Career Guidance before coming here, there are tons of stuff available to help you decide what you want to do, some is subject to the three year residency rule but there are a lot of free tools.

This is an assessment for those thinking of changing jobs, you can search for a nextstep provider in your area.
http://www.nextstepwestyorkshire.org.uk/news3.htm

This although aimed at younger people has a great database of jobs and information/links for career paths. Its actually a free full online version of an expensive manual.

http://www.connexions-direct.com/jobs4u/

Oh and the Learning Skills Council is also a good resource
http://www.lsc.gov.uk/

All the best
Old Apr 18th 2007, 2:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishfinger
Open University is a respectable option. I would also consider the University of London:
http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk/
http://www.open.ac.uk

All things being equal I'd think a London degree is slightly more valuable in the marketplace than an OU degree but you'd have to consider the respective teaching methods, student support, credit transfer policy etc.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

There are lots of distance learning courses.

I am doing a Diploma in Psychology at the moment.

I too am thinking of a change in career and a few months ago I decided to look on my time in france in a more positive way and use the time to study.

I have now decided that Psychology is not the route that I want to take but it is still a good qualification to have.

My friend is doing a GCSE with http://www.nec-courses.co.uk

There are lots of others, just google 'distance learning'
Old Apr 18th 2007, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the great links everyone. I'm going to check them all out. I briefly did my assessment to see what careers I'm suited for and it came out with IT and Creative/Media and no travel/airline stuff

I'm quite interested in Surveying and that was one of the options so maybe I'll look into that.

Cheers