Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Any UK Prison/Corrections Officers on here

Wikiposts

Any UK Prison/Corrections Officers on here

Old Mar 3rd 2015, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any UK Prison/Corrections Officers on here

Im a Brit currently in NZ, have been here for 7 years and am now contemplating coming home.
Im 52 years old and have been a Corrections Officer here in NZ for 3 years and have worked with Maximum and High security prisoners.

Im just looking for any info on job prospects in the Prison service in the UK should I return.
The big concern is whether my age would be a barrier.

Any info is much appreciated
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

theoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any UK Prison/Corrections Officers on here

The Prison Service is going through a bit of a rough time at the moment and it seems the old hands are clamouring to get out, new recruits are queuing up to join, though under less favourable conditions.

As to age, the retirement age used to be 55, but that has slipped a fair bit.

NOMS do have a website where they list vacancies NOMS and it's a good as place as any to start.

I don't know if they would take a positive view of you experience in other prisoners, I rather get the feeling that they might well prefer new sprogs that they can mould into their way of running things.

You might want to have a look at the private companies that run prisons in the UK under contract, Serco, G4S and Sodexo, they may well value your experience. You also might want to consider Immigration Detention Centres, privately run or operated by NOMS, they are basically prisons where I suspect your experience would be valued.

Good luck