Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for a nice town to live in Wiltshire?

Any suggestions for a nice town to live in Wiltshire?

Old Jun 17th 2015, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

cannunck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any suggestions for a nice town to live in Wiltshire?

For work reason, we are moving from Canada to Wiltshire area. I really appreciated any suggestion for a nice and safe place in Wilthshire area close to Porton Down. Any recomendation for a good elementary school in the area?
Kind regards
Old Jun 18th 2015, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future
Default Re: Any suggestions for a nice town to live in Wiltshire?

There are some very nice villages in Wilts, I used to live in Aldbourne lovely little village, if you like a market town Marlborough is great mind both expensive places to live.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Sorry did not see the Porton Down bit, used to drive past it when I was working in Salisbury, The winterbournes are nice but the A338 is a busy road and personally would want to be far away from that.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Shaftesbury is a lovely place.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute

I'm enjoying living in Salisbury which is lovely and full of history, but I'm retired and don't know anything about schools sorry. Google maps says there's a way to drive to Porton Down avoiding the A338 that takes 21 minutes. There's a lot to do here for a relatively small town.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

I have a cousin in West Winterslow (a lovely rural area but handy for Salisbury) and I do recall her saying that one of the primary reasons they chose that area was because of the good schools for the children. Sorry I don't know what they called the school. I don't think it's all that far from Porton Down.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by curleytops
I have a cousin in West Winterslow (a lovely rural area but handy for Salisbury) and I do recall her saying that one of the primary reasons they chose that area was because of the good schools for the children. Sorry I don't know what they called the school. I don't think it's all that far from Porton Down.
Thank you very much. I will check the schools in that area
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by the1mag
I'm enjoying living in Salisbury which is lovely and full of history, but I'm retired and don't know anything about schools sorry. Google maps says there's a way to drive to Porton Down avoiding the A338 that takes 21 minutes. There's a lot to do here for a relatively small town.
Thank you. I spent 2 days in Salisbury a few months ago. It is lovely! I need to check about some good schools there. Thanks again
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
Sorry did not see the Porton Down bit, used to drive past it when I was working in Salisbury, The winterbournes are nice but the A338 is a busy road and personally would want to be far away from that.
Thank you Mike. I did not know about the A338. Thank you for let me know...cheers
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by the1mag
Thank you. Salisbury it is a lovely place. I appreciated your comments All the best
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

cannunck,

I don't know Wiltshire (beyond that it seems like a very pretty area) but below are a couple of websites I have found useful for researching for good schools. You may have already seen them but just in case!

There is locrating.com
You can enter a town or village name and it will show a map with schools in the area pinned. They are color and number coded to show the ofsted rating and have a star if the school exam results puts them in the top percentage. You can filter by primary, HS, private etc.

Another one I like is Find the best school for your child with RM School Finder | RM School Finder similar but instead of a map it brings up a list of schools from whichever location you enter. The list is in order of distance and you can click through to tables of info on each school.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 4:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themajor
Shaftesbury is a lovely place.
Certainly is, as are Sherborne and Sturminster - just south of the border into Dorset, but part of the same lovely area. Several happy years spent there when I was a kid - and not that far distant from the Salisbury Plain/Porton Down area.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Certainly is, as are Sherborne and Sturminster - just south of the border into Dorset, but part of the same lovely area. Several happy years spent there when I was a kid - and not that far distant from the Salisbury Plain/Porton Down area.
Yes it is a beautifull part of rural England
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Also, unless you are certain that you won't be living in the area when your child/children are High School age I would make sure you check out the High schools too. I'd pick an area with good Primary and outstanding HS over the reverse.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

cannunck, It just occurred to me that I didn't mention if you get too far north in Wiltshire the winters can be pretty savage and I'm quite sure you've had enough of those

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.