Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions... kinda important!

Any suggestions... kinda important!

Old Aug 26th 2012, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any suggestions... kinda important!

So here is the scoop, I have an uncle in England who I call (or he calls me) about once every 2-3 months, he is in his 70s, lives alone and I know not of any other relatives of his other than my sister and I.

Anyhow, a couple of months ago I called several times (approx 6-8 times) and did not get an answer. He has gone on holiday and had a couple of stints in hospital without telling me so would not be out of the ordinary for him not to answer. the last time I called just about a month ago I left a message on his (home) voice mail saying I was concerned and needed him to call me ASAP so that I know he is OK.

I had not received a call and as I had been on holiday myself so I had not continued to call until yesterday. I tried his house phone and got a number out of service or number not recognized message so I tried his cell number and it went right to voice mail.

Over the last 24 hours I have gone as far as searching death certs and obituaries. I did not find either but that said when my mum died it took over 6 months for hers to appear on the local council website.

Any other avenues for me to explore? I know that he does not lives in the best of neighbourhoods so I am nervous about contacting his neighbors, he is also retired from the police force so I thought about contacting them... but I am guessing I will be hit with data protection blah blah blah. Any other suggestions on what I can do?

I do not have family in the area that could check in on him either.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 12:18 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any suggestions... kinda important!

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
So here is the scoop, I have an uncle in England who I call (or he calls me) about once every 2-3 months, he is in his 70s, lives alone and I know not of any other relatives of his other than my sister and I.

Anyhow, a couple of months ago I called several times (approx 6-8 times) and did not get an answer. He has gone on holiday and had a couple of stints in hospital without telling me so would not be out of the ordinary for him not to answer. the last time I called just about a month ago I left a message on his (home) voice mail saying I was concerned and needed him to call me ASAP so that I know he is OK.

I had not received a call and as I had been on holiday myself so I had not continued to call until yesterday. I tried his house phone and got a number out of service or number not recognized message so I tried his cell number and it went right to voice mail.

Over the last 24 hours I have gone as far as searching death certs and obituaries. I did not find either but that said when my mum died it took over 6 months for hers to appear on the local council website.

Any other avenues for me to explore? I know that he does not lives in the best of neighbourhoods so I am nervous about contacting his neighbors, he is also retired from the police force so I thought about contacting them... but I am guessing I will be hit with data protection blah blah blah. Any other suggestions on what I can do?

I do not have family in the area that could check in on him either.
I'd call the police- especially since he is an ex cop. Even if there are privacy issues, I bet they'd send someone out and probably follow up with letting you know what they know.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 12:38 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

His home phone out of service, I wonder if he could have moved to a nursing home or something similar?
Old Aug 26th 2012, 12:57 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
I'd call the police- especially since he is an ex cop. Even if there are privacy issues, I bet they'd send someone out and probably follow up with letting you know what they know.
Agreed. Call the coppers. It's what they're for.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC...me/DG_10030785
Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, call the cops. If nothing else it might get the nosy neighbors out to have a look, and they maybe be able to tell the cops what happened. Hope everything is ok.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 3:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I agree call the police...mention he is an ex policeman. If you have a family member living alone with no-one close by to keep an eye on them...try to get the phone number of a friendly neighbour. Once when I tried to call my MIL there was no reply and I knew she would be home. After trying for a few hours...I called her neighbour next door who dropped by to make sure MIL was OK. Turned out her phone was faulty or she'd not put the handset back correctly...can't remember which.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 4:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely call the cops....also perhaps any of the local hospitals?
Old Aug 27th 2012, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your input.

Found out today (via the police) that he had passed away in hospital.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so sorry.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 8:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to hear that. But I'm glad you were able to find out.

Rene
Old Aug 27th 2012, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

May God Bless Him - R.I.P.

Jim.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Charma1ne will become famous soon enoughCharma1ne will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your input.

I'm sorry for your loss

Cx
Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your input.

Very sorry to hear that.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that
Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.