Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Any Recent Returnees To Uk Want To Share Their Stories?

Any Recent Returnees To Uk Want To Share Their Stories?

Old Oct 2nd 2005, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

SCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really nice
Default Any Recent Returnees To Uk Want To Share Their Stories?

Hi Guys,

Is there anyone recently returned to the UK
who hasn't given us an update.

After 5 years in Oz I've come to realise that,
at the end of the day, the thing I miss the very most
is just British people in general and on top of everything
else, family, Europe, etc, etc. It's just making those
everyday connections with people that really matter.

If after 5 years something so important is missing
from your life and you're not happy, then beaches and sunshine can't fill
that and never will.

I think lots of us come on this site looking for reassurances
we'll be happy when we go home.
Of course, the only way to find out is to actually go for it
and make the move. Easier said than done, as we all know.

The folks who go back and continue to post are fantastic for
keeping us up to date with their progress and giving great
advice. I do think though that most go back and get on with their lives and
are too busy to post.

I was very happy before I left so hopefully will be again...
I'm off home next year so hope it works out
and good luck to everyone else.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 4:05 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Recent Returnees To Uk Want To Share Their Stories?

Originally Posted by SCOTTISH MARK 2
Hi Guys,

that and never will.

are too busy to post.

Yep, there are plenty who are back and happy and still posting!

Just have a look at the recent thread with all the lovely piccies on it!

And there's quite a number of us on here at the moment planning to go back.........!!
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

SCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by kendodd

And there's quite a number of us on here at the moment planning to go back.........!!

Hi KD, yip what fantastic pictures...so much to see next year,
can't wait
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Hi Guys,

that and never will.

are too busy to post.

Five years...eh....you will be in for a shock about the houseprices

Last edited by eurotramp; Oct 2nd 2005 at 10:06 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

ME
Originally Posted by kendodd

Old Oct 2nd 2005, 11:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

that and never will.

Some people are happy after moving back. Others are not and want to return to Australia/Canada/New Zealand/US either imediately or after a longer time.

Sometimes their visa/citizenship allows this, other times it doesn't.

Jeremy
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Re: Any Recent Returnees To Uk Want To Share Their Stories?

Originally Posted by JAJ
Some people are happy after moving back. Others are not and want to return to Australia/Canada/New Zealand/US either imediately or after a longer time.

Sometimes their visa/citizenship allows this, other times it doesn't.

Jeremy
We have been back to U.K. for the last 16months. From Canada after 3,5 years. We managed to crawl our way back into the housing market,...only just. Anmd having lost round 100k on the whole move back and forth. We could no longer afford the house we once sold to move to Canada.Anyway Lost of Brits scared us about returni9ng to U.K. about jobs,and various changes that took place here between 2001-2004. No question, they are all all here. But after the 1st 12 months of painfully coming to grips with the more intense work regimes, long commuting and little money left after paying all the bills, we are getting more comfortable. I myself really like the proper pint and curry and the look of your average highstreet is so much more pleasant in England. My wife enjoys NEXT and M&S again. But ....we may still be heading back to Canada. No seriously, my wife says it is for the children more than anything else. School kids here are bad influence. I sit on the train every day with school children and hear them talk. And I think she is right. Only today I heard 2 15 year olds boasting to each other about having sex beside the road somewhere. So if you are planning to raise children in England save some money for private schools. If that helps at all.

Ciao,
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gezza
We have been back to U.K. for the last 16months. From Canada after 3,5 years. We managed to crawl our way back into the housing market,...only just. Anmd having lost round 100k on the whole move back and forth. We could no longer afford the house we once sold to move to Canada.Anyway Lost of Brits scared us about returni9ng to U.K. about jobs,and various changes that took place here between 2001-2004. No question, they are all all here. But after the 1st 12 months of painfully coming to grips with the more intense work regimes, long commuting and little money left after paying all the bills, we are getting more comfortable. I myself really like the proper pint and curry and the look of your average highstreet is so much more pleasant in England. My wife enjoys NEXT and M&S again. But ....we may still be heading back to Canada. No seriously, my wife says it is for the children more than anything else. School kids here are bad influence. I sit on the train every day with school children and hear them talk. And I think she is right. Only today I heard 2 15 year olds boasting to each other about having sex beside the road somewhere. So if you are planning to raise children in England save some money for private schools. If that helps at all.

Ciao,
Sorry, but I think this is a bit to easy...we as parents have still a big influence how well our kids turn out. Why should a private school should make such a difference??
It is all so easy to blame everybody else......
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Gezza]We have been back to U.K. for the last 16months. From Canada after 3,5 years. We managed to crawl our way back into the housing market,...only just.

Yes, I sorely regret selling my house, still you live and learn.
Canada may be a bit different from the UK in that you have
more chance of getting home each year.

I have Oz citizenship and no kids or ties here, so it's a good time to
go home for a few years, and if I really want to come back then
I can in a few years.
Oz is a fantastic place but then so is the UK, just with lots more rain
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 12:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I have Oz citizenship and no kids or ties here, so it's a good time to
go home for a few years, and if I really want to come back then
I can in a few years.
If you have your Australian citizenship then you're one step ahead of many British people who never get to sort this out and then find themselves well and truly stuck back in the UK.

If you're at a stage in life where you can go back to the UK for relatively little cost and you want to do it, then go ahead. I'd still take a holiday first, just to be sure.

As you're a citizen, Australia will still be there for you should you want to return later on.

Jeremy
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

No back yet but the house goes on the market today.

I can not wait to get back to all the things in life that matter to me such as family friends and familiarity.

To all that are returning, we have not failed, someone said the other day to me, its not an exam to pass or fail, its an adventure.

Good luck to all.

Libby.

Crossing everything for the house to sell so we can be home for christmas!
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LIBBY
No back yet but the house goes on the market today.

I can not wait to get back to all the things in life that matter to me such as family friends and familiarity.

To all that are returning, we have not failed, someone said the other day to me, its not an exam to pass or fail, its an adventure.

Good luck to all.

Libby.

Crossing everything for the house to sell so we can be home for christmas!
Good luck with the sale. How long have you been here?
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Good luck with the sale. How long have you been here?

Oh, dont know if I should say as I might get slated but here goes, since May this year.

Not for us, we came, we saw, we prefer blighty, no drama.

Thanks for the good luck Woodyinoz. Hopefully we will see Christmas with family and friends.

Libby
Old Oct 4th 2005, 1:53 am
Just Joined

cal3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There

Its amazing really - Ive read the comments on this page , and felt I had to reply - I lived in BOP for a year - great place and lifestyle - but too expensive - came back to the UK and got really depressed about it all - it was like coming back to what you knew but all the color had gone, it was dirty - untidy and different. It felt claustrophobic and going out became a real problem and expensive in comparison to nz free beaches and alot more fresh air and sunshine. I went to work the other day as a nurse and was the only english person there - communication was a problem - THE UK IS CHANGING FAST _ TAXES ARE GOING UP AND UP AND CULTURE IS CHANGING very fast. NO HOme for me is going back to NZ.

Also Im a musician and you can hear my experiences in my songs - particularly those of 2003 / 04 when I was in NZ

www.cal3.co.uk

Regards
Chris
Old Oct 4th 2005, 3:01 am

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gezza
But after the 1st 12 months of painfully coming to grips with the more intense work regimes, long commuting and little money left after paying all the bills, we are getting more comfortable. I myself really like the proper pint and curry and the look of your average highstreet is so much more pleasant in England.
Ciao,
I have to agree to this as it has taken us 18 months to get to grips with life back here, it has been a struggle indeed, more than it was for me to settle to Oz life but the rewards are coming through

I am even tolerating "chavs" now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.