Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anxious about moving back home next month-would appreciate some advice!

Anxious about moving back home next month-would appreciate some advice!

Old May 11th 2010, 10:38 am
Just Joined

ladybug1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anxious about moving back home next month-would appreciate some advice!

Thanks again for the positive comments. It immediately cancels out the negative. I have no idea why immigration ask me how long I'll be in the country. Maybe because I have a US Alien Resident stamp in my passport? My passport is most certainly a British one. It was issued by the British Consulate office in Washington D.C. A return ticket for my son sounds like a good idea, although I already found out that I can get him a UK passport in plenty of time.

Thank you again for you time!
Old May 11th 2010, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Anxious about moving back home next month-would appreciate some advice!

I also made a few phone calls today and after giving my National Insurance number was told that I will indeed receive benefits if needed until I find employment.
Old May 11th 2010, 6:16 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladybug1
I really appreciate the positive comments and advice. I never expected the negative. Yes, people are very quick to jump to conclusions. Yes, I'm British born. I never wanted to move away. My ex-husband who was in the military was unexpectedly stationed overseas and carrying our first child, of course I felt obligated to follow. We made a lot of attempts to return to the UK but it seems the military had other plans for us and we moved many times before he was able to leave the military. So, we ended up settling in Massachusetts where my children entered the education system, we separated, and yes, I have since struggled. I tried to make it work for my children's stability and became a specialized foster parent for severly abused children in the Boston area. After years of giving myself unconditionally I am drained, emotionally and physically. My family members back home are getting old and dying. I have waited for this return, and now my daughter is graduating high school I see no reason to stay. Before leaving the UK I never needed to claim income support because I've always worked, however I was hoping for some assistance while I looked for work, and which I'm already in the process of doing. I wouldn't say I've been 'living in the sun' for years. The winters in Massachusetts can be harsh and depressing. I do realise that I will lose my green card status if I don't return to the US within a year but that is the least of my worries. I really have no desire to return.
Thanks again for the positive comments. I really appreciate your time!

Good luck to you. You have obviously paid your way in life. Don't worry about negative responses. Do what is right for you. Your critics may not appreciate that understanding is often obtained on a rough road.
Old May 11th 2010, 7:44 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ladybug, I have sent you a PM.
Old May 11th 2010, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=sallysimmons;8558385]Ah yes. God help us. All that 'caring about other people' crap is SO annoying.

I'm curious - do you plan to pay for all your medical treatment privately now that you're home, or will you be availing yourself of the NHS?

Did I say she can't have NHS treatment NO I didn't.
Yes I will go and see an NHS doctor if I need to which I don't at the moment.
I also have private health insurance
I also worked for 20 plus years with no sick days for the NHS so maybe I feel I am entitled to a 3 minute consultations with an NHS doctor should I need one.

We don't all return for handouts and free NHS.
Although we are entitled to free NHS, why do you think so many people try and get into this country.
Only the British that have not lived in a country where you have to pay for healthcare take it for granted. I have never been one of those people.
Sat in too many budget meetings begging for cash to keep wards open.

As an AHP I have NEVER said anyone doesn't deserve free healthcare.
Read the OPs post she never mentions healthcare and neither do I.
Old May 11th 2010, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Giantaxe;8558981]I think it's the sense of "entitlement" that gets under some posters' skins. Like the OP in this thread, who wrote "I'm still British!!!", the implication being that this should automatically entitle them to benefits the moment they step foot back in the UK. In fact, as you allude to, the UK is unusually generous in typically providing "free" healthcare to people returning to live there. To automatically expect more - regardless of circumstances - just seems a little odd to me.

My point exactly, well said
Old May 13th 2010, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

GuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to behold

Jan N Neil, no doubt you have the same opinion as me and got thoroughly cheesed off with seeing immigrants coming to the UK and claiming everything and everything as soon as they are off the boat. However, if we can't look after our OWN in OUR country, who should we look after? I'm not planning on returning, but have paid more than my fair share of contributions, and will continue too whilst I'm away. Even if I stop, does this mean you think that I'm not entitled to anything if I return?
God forbid it all goes Pete Tong for any of us while we are away, including you, but would you not be the first one complaining if you found yourself 'having' to return home and were unable to get any assistance? Sorry, just my tuppence worth, but lets face it, none of us knows what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next year.
Old May 13th 2010, 8:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

This forum is supposed to be for the support of people who want to return to the UK. For those people who want to rant about benefit cheats, or the right of returning citizens to benefits, there's a forum called Take It Outside.

Benefit cheats drive me nuts (they are stealing my taxes), but I don't assume the first time someone posts on MBTTUK asking about benefits that they are trying to cheat the system. It amazes me that some people on BE seem to be on a hair trigger and when benefits get mentioned, they go off half-cocked at someone before they even get to know them. I dare say you wouldn't do the same to a stranger's face (or maybe you would, which would be even sadder ...).
Old May 13th 2010, 8:57 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sadieb
If I was in Christchurch now I would ...... buy you a bloody big drink and say well done for having the balls to write that post.
I couldn't agree with you more, I have been back in the UK for 1 year after returning from Oz I don't work, I don't have kids. I worked for 20 plus years full time paying everything into the UK and have never for 1 minute thought about claiming a penny from it.
I am just happy to enjoy my time here and yes I have always saved from my salary, etc and I am by no means rich but I can survive.
God help us if Liberal ever took power of this country !!!
I don't think it takes a lot of balls to kick someone while they're down, do you?
Old May 13th 2010, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

GuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to behold

I know that dunroving, I'm a former member. I also wasn't agreeing with him and I hope the OP gets everything she's entitled too back home, plus some good advice from forum members here rather than opinions about what they think should happen.
Good luck Ladybug
Old May 14th 2010, 9:14 am
Just Joined

londontwin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
This forum is supposed to be for the support of people who want to return to the UK. For those people who want to rant about benefit cheats, or the right of returning citizens to benefits, there's a forum called Take It Outside.

Benefit cheats drive me nuts (they are stealing my taxes), but I don't assume the first time someone posts on MBTTUK asking about benefits that they are trying to cheat the system. It amazes me that some people on BE seem to be on a hair trigger and when benefits get mentioned, they go off half-cocked at someone before they even get to know them. I dare say you wouldn't do the same to a stranger's face (or maybe you would, which would be even sadder ...).
I could not have put it better myself. thank you!!
Old May 14th 2010, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dunroving

When I(the brit) went back the last time with a Canadian hubby in tow - we had to agree not to use jobseekers allowance or social at all. we had to prove that we could support ourselves, with out that to re-enter the country with hubby.

We never needed to and i for one am glad - it made us stronger!

Living back in canada now and see the shear number of people screwing the system-it makes me mad. but i will not Rant lol
Old May 14th 2010, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

Good luck Ladybug, I hope everything works out for you.

It really is a shame that some people post on here without even bothering to ask for the reasons or circumstances of people moving back to the UK. I too will be returning in July after 19 years away and will probably need some financial support for a while... don't really want to... but will probably have to.

To those who seem to think we've all been away living the life of riley in the sun I just want to say this. I sincerely hope you never find yourselves in a similar position, and if you do, the advice you receive is not as trite and simplistic as that which you have given.
Old May 15th 2010, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Thank you again. I really appreciate it.
Old May 15th 2010, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

Goodluck, I hope everything works out for you.

Poppit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.